Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How long does MM components last (in bags)? Toplef10How long does MM components last (in bags)? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How long does MM components last (in bags)? I22gcj10How long does MM components last (in bags)? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How long does MM components last (in bags)? Toplef10How long does MM components last (in bags)? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How long does MM components last (in bags)? I22gcj10How long does MM components last (in bags)? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How long does MM components last (in bags)?

+3
cheyannarach
Goosegirl
kstephens
7 posters

Go down

How long does MM components last (in bags)? Empty How long does MM components last (in bags)?

Post  kstephens 6/23/2012, 11:22 am

I have plenty of leftover vermiculite and peat to use for another bed I am going to make early next spring. I would think both of those would not be an issue as long as they are kept dry.

However, how long does good compost last in bags? The reason I am asking is, like many, around here the compost blend (five types) was a pain to track down. It took me almost three straight days of driving, calling and driving through four counties to track it down.

Shortly after I visited an organic garden center while visiting a friend in Louisville (about 4 hours away). They had every type of compost I have heard of, and better prices than I found locally. I am going to be back in louisville in a few weeks and would like to at least pick up some of the harder to find compost (worm castings, mushroom, llama or equine) - cow manure and chicken manure compost is readily available here. I will also have small amounts of my own compost (hopefully) that I have started.

I would think that it would still be good, but thought I would ask, before I spend the money. Thanks.
kstephens
kstephens

Back to top Go down

How long does MM components last (in bags)? Empty Re: How long does MM components last (in bags)?

Post  Goosegirl 6/23/2012, 12:01 pm

I would think that as long as you are not storing it where it will get rained on and wash the nutrients out of it, it should store just fine.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

How long does MM components last (in bags)? Empty Re: How long does MM components last (in bags)?

Post  cheyannarach 6/23/2012, 12:56 pm

Goosegirl wrote:I would think that as long as you are not storing it where it will get rained on and wash the nutrients out of it, it should store just fine.

GG

+1
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/23/2012, 3:13 pm

I kept some under a tarp from last fall and the new spring bed is doing fine.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  kstephens 6/23/2012, 4:59 pm

Thanks! I was thinking it would be OK. I know it would take all of the headache out of next spring. Especially since one of my current boxes is going to be filled up with Garlic and Shallots over the winter into next summer.

Now all I will have to get next spring is 16' of 2x6.
kstephens
kstephens

Back to top Go down

Post  jfkelly001 6/23/2012, 5:18 pm

My worm casting bags are labeled that they expire in 2 years. I am not should why worm poop would go bad after 2 years in a seal bag.
jfkelly001
jfkelly001

Male Posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/23/2012, 5:31 pm

I think it all should be fine, but, the worm castings should not dry out. Castings have living microbes and other living things which would die if it drys out. It also should not be sealed up tight either, for oxygen is needed too. I don't know if the composts are alive or not?

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/23/2012, 5:38 pm

I'll share what little I've learned. The microbes are alive. Under less optimal conditions like storage it will form protective cysts which preserve it and 'comes alive' again when conditions are better such as temperature and moisture. The warning on the bag indicates to me those protective cysts have a sort of shelf life too. A couple websites I read discussed wormcast storage and suggest a few months is about as long as they would store it. The quality degenerates with time like any living thing would. Redwormcomposting.com could give you more info, another is called I think wormgirl.com
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down