Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
MM Components - local search Toplef10MM Components - local search 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

MM Components - local search I22gcj10MM Components - local search 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
MM Components - local search Toplef10MM Components - local search 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

MM Components - local search I22gcj10MM Components - local search 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

MM Components - local search

4 posters

Go down

MM Components - local search Empty MM Components - local search

Post  Ret EE 4/16/2021, 2:46 pm

In anticipation of my needs for mixing/blending my MM, I've embarked on a search for local sources.  As far as availability goes, I've found each of the components within a reasonable radius.  I haven't done much price checking, just bookmarking sources for now.  Sticker shock will come later I'm sure.

A question; a number of the compost suppliers also sell bagged steer manure.  Would/could steer manure be one of the thirds that Mel recommends for the compost portion of MM?  I also found a local who raises chickens.  I'm going to try and nurture a mutually beneficial relationship.
Ret EE
Ret EE

Male Posts : 42

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showcase/71-scamp-road-race

Back to top Go down

MM Components - local search Empty Re: MM Components - local search

Post  OhioGardener 4/16/2021, 3:05 pm

Yes, bagged composted steer/cow/bull manure is acceptable as one of the 5 composts to use in MM.  Composted chicken manure is also an excellent source.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 4/16/2021, 4:58 pm

Ret EE wrote:In anticipation of my needs for mixing/blending my MM, I've embarked on a search for local sources.  As far as availability goes, I've found each of the components within a reasonable radius.  I haven't done much price checking, just bookmarking sources for now.  Sticker shock will come later I'm sure.

A question; a number of the compost suppliers also sell bagged steer manure.  Would/could steer manure be one of the thirds that Mel recommends for the compost portion of MM?  I also found a local who raises chickens.  I'm going to try and nurture a mutually beneficial relationship.

How about Goat? Pig? Are you rural? I'd stay away from horse. Too much wood chips used as bedding that ended up robbing my N from the MM as it decomposed, even though the horse manure was supposedly already composted. The wood chips just took much longer to break down. HTH!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

MM Components - local search Empty Goats?

Post  Ret EE 4/16/2021, 5:26 pm

I haven' seen or heard of goats in the area.  I would say that we are "semi-rural".  We're in a small sub-division surrounded by mostly open ground.
Ret EE
Ret EE

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/16/2021, 11:49 pm

Ret EE wrote:In anticipation of my needs for mixing/blending my MM, I've embarked on a search for local sources.  As far as availability goes, I've found each of the components within a reasonable radius.  I haven't done much price checking, just bookmarking sources for now.  Sticker shock will come later I'm sure.

NO.....Manure would be considered only one of the five ingredients that will make up the one third compost in  Mels Mix.  The five compost ingredients could be, manure, ( leaves, grass cuttings , shredded cardboard, shredded newspaper, discarded plants, etc ) vegetable wastes, citrus wastes, ( straw or hay ) , and so much more depending on what part of the country you live in, for example. Shore will provide excellent sources of seaweed, an excellent addition to compost.
When you go through the trouble of adding many ingredients to compost piles, you will get better temperature ranges, more microbial activity, and a better quality compost that plants will love.
Remember, its the microbes that feed the plants the nutrients needed.

All info one needs for prpoer composting is in this book.
It has helped me create highly successful SFG beds.

MM Components - local search Compos11MM Components - local search Compos11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

MM Components - local search Empty 5 not 3

Post  Ret EE 4/17/2021, 12:49 pm

I should have said 5 components of the compost 1/3 of MM.  I mixed them up.

So if I'm mixing MM and I use 1/3 peat Moss, 1/3 coarse Vermiculite and 1/3 Compost which has 5 contributing sources.  Can one of the 5 sources be ruminant manure?

It's too early in my SFG trip to be making my own compost.  BTW, when I have my own is it only one of the five sources required?  This gets confusing for an OCD Engineer!  We have to get everything perfect.  Smile  Failing a test is not acceptable!

P.S.  We shred a number of documents and junk mail.  I see cardboard mentioned frequently as a constituent of compost.  It seems like shredded paper might even be better?

Keith
Ret EE
Ret EE

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/17/2021, 1:07 pm

Ret EE wrote:So if I'm mixing MM and I use 1/3 peat Moss, 1/3 coarse Vermiculite and 1/3 Compost which has 5 contributing sources.  Can one of the 5 sources be ruminant manure?

Yes, as long as it is composted

Ret EE wrote:It's too early in my SFG trip to be making my own compost.  BTW, when I have my own is it only one of the five sources required?  This gets confusing for an OCD Engineer!  We have to get everything perfect.  Smile  Failing a test is not acceptable!

Your own home made compost should be very rich, with all the nutrients the plants need, and will be used for topping off the bed, not making MM.  Don't worry about the OCD. Some of us gardeners have CDO which is like OCD but keeps things in alphabetical order.

Ret EE wrote: We shred a number of documents and junk mail.  I see cardboard mentioned frequently as a constituent of compost.  It seems like shredded paper might even be better?

Yes, shredded paper will work fine as long as it is non-glossy, and non-color.  A word of caution, though. Our shredder is a cross-cut and it creates very fine pieces of shredded paper which when added to compost tend to form tight balls or clumps which do not decompose. If you have a strip shredder, it works much nicer for composting (though not nearly as secure for disposing of documents via the recycle bin).

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down