Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
restarting an old compost pile Toplef10restarting an old compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

restarting an old compost pile I22gcj10restarting an old compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
restarting an old compost pile Toplef10restarting an old compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

restarting an old compost pile I22gcj10restarting an old compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

restarting an old compost pile

+13
Coelli
GWN
llama momma
camprn
floyd1440
RoOsTeR
ramarks
Kelejan
plantoid
WardinWake
crs
toledobend
Pepper
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

restarting an old compost pile Empty restarting an old compost pile

Post  Pepper 6/18/2012, 1:10 pm

Last fall I started composting in preparation to gardening. I bought a chipper shreader and toted leaves in by the trailer full(5by10). So much so the misses said "NO MORE TILL YOU FINISH THESE". My bales are made of 2in by 4in regular fence wire cut to 12.5 feet. I cut one side smooth and the other side has the 2in tag end which I bend around the other smooth side to hold the bale together. So my bales are 4 ft tall and about 4 ft across/round. Most of the folks around here in the city use 'weed and feed', and other chemical fertilizers so grass clippings are out. I added rabbit food and coffee grounds to the leaves till I had 5 bales going. I never really did get the "hottie" thing going on so over time other things took center stage. So now my problem is how to restart old water logged time compressed piles.

So I gathered up some 'addatives" restarting an old compost pile P6173110

and coffee grounds and some non treated grass( pic taken when nearly finished) restarting an old compost pile P6173111

Then started rebuilding a new bale from this old pile. restarting an old compost pile P6173112

It seems like every fork full had to be 'broken up from the clump' it had become. The outside of the old bale was dry so I mixed everything up added the "greens" addatives watered it down. After each layer I would stick the fork in and twist things up to get a better mix. restarting an old compost pile P6173113

Here is hoping this works
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 563

Back to top Go down

restarting an old compost pile Empty Re: restarting an old compost pile

Post  toledobend 6/18/2012, 2:32 pm

Maybe a little off your topic, but I have the exact same setup, but i got tired of raking around the bin every time I turned it. I used plastic 1/4" hardware net 15'x3' (about $15.00) and it keeps all the stuff in the bin.
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  crs 6/18/2012, 2:56 pm

Let me know if it gets hot. I have been trying for 2 months and can't get heat Mad Haven't put any store bought ingredients but that is gonna be my next step. Mainly straw, dried grass clippings, cardboard, kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells and alpaca poo. Turning every other day or 2 and watering I am not sure that i am watering enough though. I am going to start watering in between pitch fork layers. I also have a tumbler that i am about ready to dump on the ground to see if I can get that one going at all. Was going to try and save money but at this rate I will have to give up sfg! Sad Sad Sad
crs
crs

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 6/18/2012, 3:19 pm

crs wrote:Let me know if it gets hot. I have been trying for 2 months and can't get heat Mad Haven't put any store bought ingredients but that is gonna be my next step. Mainly straw, dried grass clippings, cardboard, kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells and alpaca poo. Turning every other day or 2 and watering I am not sure that i am watering enough though. I am going to start watering in between pitch fork layers. I also have a tumbler that i am about ready to dump on the ground to see if I can get that one going at all. Was going to try and save money but at this rate I will have to give up sfg! Sad Sad Sad

CRS: To check for proper moisture in your pile reach in and pull out a hand full and give it a squeeze. You should get a few drops of water. If you do not you need to add water. If you get a mushy mess you have too much water. BTW coffee grounds are considered a "green" in a compost pile. Another way to check for proper moisture levels is to sniff the hand full. If it smell dry is it too dry. If it smells like a swamp it is too wet.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 934

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/18/2012, 3:21 pm

I am a first year gardener so this is a "LEARN AS I GO "project. All suggestions are welcome!!!!!!

@ toledobend restarting an old compost pile 396615 to the forum. That is a great idearestarting an old compost pile 53366 . I too get tired of constantly picking it up, I have found the worms love it though.

@ crs Oh I will let ya know. I am documenting my successes and failures. That way a wise person can learn from my mistakes or successes just like I learn from these threads.

thanks WardinWake that may be why I never got the "HOTTIE" thing goin. Please jump in with your assistance at any time. I need all the help I can get.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/18/2012, 5:16 pm

Pepper and others who have an already made cold compost heap for over 10 months old without doing anything to it after the initial biulding.

After nearly year most of the heap will have cold composted in any case , you will not benefit from the retention of nutrients or the bulk volume of the hot compost as a lot of it will have washes away or rotted down even further and leeched away .

So trying to remake it as a hot heap will be fairly pointless unless you are going to used this heap as part components for a hot heap .

I for one wouldn't bother with it , I'd just use it in the beds neat as needed and put up with the weed seeds . There will still be some very useful nutrient contentton it but the bulk volume will be almost one third less of a hot composted pile .

One thing I would do though before using it is rub it through a 1/4 inch garden sieve to remove any big lumps.

If the heap has any mother earth soil in it perhaps not use it in my ANSFG beds . ( why undo what you have learnt from Mel and his soil less growth medium system ? )

Perhaps instead spread it out on my lawns or other non ANSFG beds to ease out a few hollows or as a lower quality enrichment additive than hot composted materials or use it in plant pots and tubs .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/18/2012, 5:32 pm

Yesterday I spent the better part of three hours turning my main compost box that consists of four 4x4 SFGs stacked one upon the other giving me a four foot cube. My intention was to sift the bottom as I usually do, and turn over the rest.

The first two feet were pretty easy, then I came to a layer of leaves that I had put in there last fall. And weren't they packed solid, and wet? Then I remembered that I had dumped them in there after collecting them, but I had done nothing about them at the time or since. After all the rain we have had this year, it is no wonder that they were a solid lump. No air circulation and precious few greens added.

The top layer had plenty of worms, but when I came to this layer, obviously nothing had happened. The leaves were still the brown colour of autumn instead of the rich dark of composted leaves. It did not smell too bad, but there was a definite odour there, unlike the top layers.

So, newbies, don't beat your selves up not doing it right first time. Even someone like me who has read enough to know what's what and thinks she knows it all, can make mistakes and can do better next time. Very Happy

Last edited by Kelejan on 6/18/2012, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Why is it I never see the spelling mistakes my computer makes until I post?)
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 6/18/2012, 9:26 pm

This topic came up in another forum - thought it might be helpful here.

ramarks wrote:
Wow - I'd never heard of the Berkeley Method of hot composting - and UC Berkeley is just down the road from me.

This is the site I checked out - Hot Composting

Very clearly explained and illustrated. Having compost in 18 days is worth trying.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/19/2012, 12:43 pm

Plantoid, I defer to your experience. Since these are only about 5-6 months slack and were turned several times before me letting them go slack I feel I need to atleast try. It may just end up a tribute to frutility but it will be documented as a failure. I have several of those on here already. I may just use the outsides of the 4 bales I have left that are dry and not wet compressed.

@ ramarks thank you for posting the link; I did a desktop shortcut of it just to see I had it on my desktop already Laughing restarting an old compost pile 240315 restarting an old compost pile 926169

@ Kelejan your last paragraph says it all:

"So, newbies, don't beat your selves up not doing it right first time. Even someone like me who has read enough to know what's what and thinks she knows it all, can make mistakes and can do better next time. Very Happy"

Sister restarting an old compost pile 657780
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/19/2012, 4:29 pm

I don't have a thermometer but the cool tent pole heated up amazingly hot after about 15 seconds. I plan to turn this pile starting Thursday every other day.

Plantoid since the pile is heating up do you still think this is a waste of time?

Now should I continue to add 'green material' every time I turn the pile or just keep adding water only??????????
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/19/2012, 6:22 pm

Pepper wrote:I don't have a thermometer but the cool tent pole heated up amazingly hot after about 15 seconds. I plan to turn this pile starting Thursday every other day.

Plantoid since the pile is heating up do you still think this is a waste of time?

Now should I continue to add 'green material' every time I turn the pile or just keep adding water only??????????

I think you may have cracked it, Pepper. I look forward to hearing Plantoid's advice whether to add more greens. I plan to add some chcicken manure to the pile then as I know I have a shortage of 'greens'. When I turned mine over this past weekend, I marked on my calender a reminder to turn it over on Thursday, then every other day, so we are on the same schedule. It will be interesting to compare notes.

I have just been out to have a look at my pile and to remove all the water that had collected there after a very heavy thunderstorm. I am so very glad that I covered it up with plastic, there was quite a pond in the middle, I could have had a couple of goldfish there and they would have been quite happy. It is again raining heavily right now, and the air is downright chilly. We have been in the high 50Fs and low 60Fs recently but are promised warmer temperatures starting tomorrow.

I have one strawberry just turning pink, all the rest are green.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/19/2012, 6:31 pm

Reading my last post here, I mentioned having a couple of goldfish in the sagging plastic on top of my compost heap.

Now there's a thought. What about a raised goldfish pond? Last time I had a pond I spent hours digging into the ground to make it deep enough. Must get down to planning for next year.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/19/2012, 7:06 pm

Pepper wrote:I don't have a thermometer but the cool tent pole heated up amazingly hot after about 15 seconds. I plan to turn this pile starting Thursday every other day.

Why turn the pile Thursday? If your pile is hot, leave it be. You don't need to turn your pile till it starts dropping temps. At that point you know the bugs need more food and it's time to turn and perhaps add more moisture. I turn my compost no more than once a week, sometimes longer if it's still really cooking. Turning too much will disrupt the process, and in my opinion just make for a longer time composting. Also, the above link is a good source for information, but pretty misleading. Finished compost in 18 days is far from typical. Be patient, the process is going to happen regardless.
Just my .02, but if I had leftover compost, I would throw it in the pile and use it.

restarting an old compost pile Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4299

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/19/2012, 8:04 pm

I had a sililar problem with my pile cooling down as I had a lot of leaf mold that I added this spring. got some rabbit food and after a couple of days it had gone over 140 degrees.

Got one of those areators and it works great and have only used it once since it has been hot. Just let it cook and do its thing..Am new at this process but I feel it is essential for the future of my garden.

Shocked
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/20/2012, 12:17 am

Thanks for all the input. As a rookie this is one thing that has stumped me the most.

@ Kelejan: raised goldfish pond: TOO FUNNY restarting an old compost pile 889526 and yes we are on the same schedule if I use the link's suggestion. Being a lazy gardener I am leaning to RoOsTeR's ideas.

@ floyd1440 Tell me more about this "areators"; turning can be such a pain. But 'no pain no gain' as they say....

@ RoOsTeR thanks for your advise. So I take it from your post just add water when I do turn the pile. I have more than plenty of coffee grounds( thanks to a nearby Starbucks) but seems like to much old coffee would hurt the PH levels.

Time to order a compost thermometer
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/20/2012, 6:34 am

It may be worth sifting out the completed compost. The incompletely decomposed stuff back in the bin and the done stuff into the garden.
Coffee grounds are considered neutral pH.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

restarting an old compost pile WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/20/2012, 9:29 am

Hi Pepper , Going back a few posts.

I see that you have used the old material that is part or completely composted . adding the new materials to it and wetting & turning it will indeed give some temperature rise as the new ingredients start to decay and get attacked by the bacteria in the old material but I doubt that you will experience the massive rise in temperatures offered in the Berkley method of 50 centigrade 125 oF so you may well still end up with a shed load of weed seeds in the finished material as the temps will not have reached seed killing point.

To do that you would need to go the 2/3 route using new materials with 1/3 of the old stuff .as told in the Berkley link , though they reccommend using a 1/3 of composted manure to rework an old heap if memory serves me correct.

Now that the heap is heating make a decision as to when enough will be enough and stop adding to the heap then take it through the stages of decomposition/compostiing , for if you are continually adding new stuff to the heap the process will never be fully complete .

A while back posssibly in March or April " Too Tall Tomatoes " reworked a big heap and by the time all the new ingredients were added it seems to have changed from an old heap to a fantastic new Berkley method formula.. They recorded some fantastic temperatures and I think managed to have great finished Compost in just over a month .

I'm AFKB for a few days with a funeral etc. and hope to be back here on Monday . Hope you do reach the higher temps in the meantime
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 6/20/2012, 4:47 pm

Pepper wrote:Thanks for all the input. As a rookie this is one thing that has stumped me the most.

@ Kelejan: raised goldfish pond: TOO FUNNY restarting an old compost pile 889526 and yes we are on the same schedule if I use the link's suggestion. Being a lazy gardener I am leaning to RoOsTeR's ideas.

@ floyd1440 Tell me more about this "areators"; turning can be such a pain. But 'no pain no gain' as they say....

@ RoOsTeR thanks for your advise. So I take it from your post just add water when I do turn the pile. I have more than plenty of coffee grounds( thanks to a nearby Starbucks) but seems like to much old coffee would hurt the PH levels.

Howdy: Used coffee grounds are nearly neutral in PH, so use all you want. BTW used coffee grounds are considered to be a "green" in the compost pile.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 934

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/20/2012, 7:30 pm

Pepper wrote:Thanks for all the input. As a rookie this is one thing that has stumped me the most.

This is the tool I use

http://www.bing.com/shopping/bosmere-36-compost-aerator/p/ADF5B46AF26359739285?q=compost+aerator&lpq=compost%20aerator&FORM=HURE
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/20/2012, 10:32 pm

Rebars are really inexpensive and at 4 ft. they are pretty heavy for their size and easily poke holes in the compost. I leave mine in the slats of the wooden pallet for easy access.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4914

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/21/2012, 12:06 am

Hi Pepper
I love any discussion about composting. Seems like one of those topics that you never run out of something else to say about.
There are 2 camps when it comes to hot composting, the ones who are against it argue that at those high temps all the nutrients are lost and of course those who are for it would like to do it faster and to kill weed seeds and ?? weed roots.

I am interesting in your chipper shredder. I have had the really big ones in the past (the ones you can put a full tree into), but just yesterday my DH surprised me with a mulcher shredder, one that we can put twigs in up to about half an inch in diameter....
So I have spent the day putting all the tomato plant carcasses from last year through the shredder so that they can compost faster.

I have also started a new pile today, layering and adding water etc.
So far the hottest I have gotten my pile is up to 121 degrees. Hoping this time to get to 140 ....
It is fun having a thermometer, I get up and first thing in the morning head out to see what the temp in my compost is....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 6/21/2012, 12:11 am

I just got one yesterday that's similar to the one Floyd linked. It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-CA-36-Compost-Turner/dp/B000RYL1BQ

It doesn't work as advertised; the wings don't open when you pull it up, which a lot of the reviews complained about. However, it worked well enough to mix and turn the contents of my bin, which is a trash can with a bunch of holes drilled in it. It went easily to the bottom of the bin and did let me mix it up.

The bin is sitting in the hot SoCal sun and I think it's finally going to break down quickly now that it's getting turned and watered. It's pretty much exclusively a mix of kitchen scraps & eggshells, LOTS of coffee grounds (thanks, Starbucks!), the occasional trimmings from the garden, and my guinea pig's bedding which is compostable; it's like soft paper granules. I have a feeling I'll have some fine compost in just a few more weeks at this rate, and it's only been a few weeks! It already smells fabulous, but I guess that could be the coffee. Very Happy We don't have any trees or lawn, just bare dirt/dead grass, so I've been struggling to find materials for compost.
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/21/2012, 3:40 pm

my shreader restarting an old compost pile Pb272912

I got a 'steal' on it used, was left as a consignment for far too long as deposit on unpaid bill. It does have it's issues; the leaves seldom gravity feed so I made a pusher stick that won't make it to the blades. restarting an old compost pile Pb272913

me using the stick to push several hands full from the wheel barrow restarting an old compost pile Pb272914

I carted in many trailer loads of bagged leaves from the neighborhood almost exclusively the large leaf and acorn oak leaves. Here is four of the five 4ft by 4ft round bales I chopped and tried to compost. restarting an old compost pile Pc263010

I made the bales from regular fence wire the 4in tall 2in wide 4ft tall kind. Cut to 12 ft 6in makes about 4ft diameter bale. I cut one side close to the vertical strand the other the same way so that one end has a 2in 'tag'(sharp) end that I bend over the smoth side to close the bale. Just open the bend to loosen the wire to remove. Reform the wire bale turn the mix into the now empty cage.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/21/2012, 3:45 pm

FARM TROUT! That's AWESOME! nice color too. Very Happy
I do something similar with the holding pens and when I get enough grass clippings in another pile and lots of garden and kitchen scraps, I build my compost pile in the Autumn, by layering and watering. A few weeks of turning and then let winter do the rest...

You are so going to be a hottie!! okay

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

restarting an old compost pile WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/21/2012, 3:57 pm

Very Happy I have one of those compost turners; it goes in OK but usually is very had to pull up.

Anyway, I turned my heap this morning and it was much easier going after the three hours I spent last Sunday. The pile was getting warmer, but I think I will leave it more than the two days suggested. I have covered it with black weed cloth and if it rains I have a sheet of plastic to cover it as the compost is still too damp in my opinion. Today we have warm weather, then more rain in a few days time.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next