Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 Toplef10restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 I22gcj10restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 Toplef10restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 I22gcj10restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

restarting an old compost pile

+13
Coelli
GWN
llama momma
camprn
floyd1440
RoOsTeR
ramarks
Kelejan
plantoid
WardinWake
crs
toledobend
Pepper
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 Empty Re: restarting an old compost pile

Post  Pepper 6/21/2012, 4:04 pm

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 109486 camprn. These were taken last year, well last fall. I tried to be a "hottie" but like most old farts my ideas did not match realityrestarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 Empty Re: restarting an old compost pile

Post  camprn 6/21/2012, 4:26 pm

funny post darn funny

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/21/2012, 6:28 pm

Love the shredder Pepper restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 3170584802

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 6/21/2012, 6:52 pm

One disadvantage to living out in the middle of nowhere: I tried to find a rental chipper/shredder. Not one to be found within 100 miles. Since we can burn our brush piles, leaves, cut down trees etc., nobody chips or shreds. How far in the middle of nowhere?: We live two hours from the closest Home Depot (in five different directions).
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/22/2012, 12:06 am

We live two hours from the closest Home Depot (in five different directions).
ME too.
However we just recently sold our second vehicle to pay off our debt and a little bit was left over.... and so we got this NEW BABY>>>>
http://www.patriot-products-inc.com/csv2515images.htm

I put through all of the plant carcasses from last year (that have not broken down yet) and layered with paper and leaves and in 2 days have gone from 80 degrees up to 100 degrees
This machine totally shreds everything ..... it does get jammed up often, but when that happens I run water through it and cram a stick down it, and when it finally unplugs I get this powerful stream of MUCK, which I have been spreading on my gardens (must be good stuff(

My DH seems surprised whenever I come back into the house and still have 10 fingers, 2 arms etc etc.........
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/22/2012, 12:09 am

toledobend use a lawn mower since you can't get to a shreader. Any thing is better than leaving them whole.

GWN neet machine and electric too. Ya mine does clog sometimes esp when the leaves are wet. Mine has a feed door that you open to help clear the cloggs.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/22/2012, 8:05 pm

Pepper wrote:toledobend use a lawn mower since you can't get to a shreader. Any thing is better than leaving them whole.

GWN neet machine and electric too. Ya mine does clog sometimes esp when the leaves are wet. Mine has a feed door that you open to help clear the cloggs.

I checked it out and it seems like a good machine but a little pricey. Like that they have a gas version as well.

Stumbled upon a website for "cyclone rake system" which claims to not only pick up leaves but also shread them as well. Would be nice to have something to pick up and also shread leaves as it has a seperate motor to provide suction and also an impeller to also shread leaves as well.

Check it out and let me know what you think?

http://www.cyclonerake.com

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 6/23/2012, 12:14 am

I took a picture of my compost bin today and wanted to share. My oldest had just put a bunch of trimmings in it that should have gone to the guinea pig.. oh well!

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 7423662290_87ac302eaf

Anyway, this bin is in full sun during the day and it gets HOT HOT HOT... the last couple of times I've turned it in the evening, it's literally steamed. I'm assuming that's okay!

This should be some incredible compost - if I had to guess I'd say it's about 30% coffee grounds (thanks, Starbucks!), 40% my guinea pig's paper-based bedding and associated poop, and 30% kitchen waste including lots of eggshells. We don't have a single tree in our yard nor any grass to mow, so there's very little yard waste.

This one's almost full so I guess it's time to buy another trash can and break out the drill. Smile
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 6/23/2012, 11:42 am

Our church is hosting the county compost expert this afternoon - for a community event. I'm going to ask them about restarting an old pile. I'll let you know what they say.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/23/2012, 1:41 pm

Right now the rain is bucketing down and the forecast is for more of the same tomorrow, and tomorrow, up to about 50mm. I am feeling very smug that I have turned my compost for the second time this week and that is is covered by weed cloth (for when the sun shines) and plastic and no longer soaking up the rain. I am hopefull that I will get some useable compost in a while.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/23/2012, 1:51 pm

I am within 5 degrees of being HOT....
I started a new pile on Wednesday using my new shredder machine and shredded paper and alfalfa pellets and a little bit from the old compost and it went from 80 on wednesday to 135 today.
And it is not really hot here..... yet today

NOT raining either though Kelejan, the storm missed us, but I guess it did not miss you Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/23/2012, 4:59 pm

Wow today I checked my pile don't have a thremometer yet so the old tent pole went in; about 30 seconds later it was hot enough I would have been uncomfortable holding on to it. For the last several days it has been increasing in heat, so I guess I have atleast one 'hottie'. Now just ;what will be; three more to get hot.restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 3170584802

@ floyd1440 I am glad someone here can afford one or even several of these, when can I expect delivery of mine......restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526

@ Coelli The misses and I were in LA once a week (we were truckers running team; she is not driving now, I still do) so I do understand your lack of compost material. Looks like you are adapting as best you can.restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 593714 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 593714 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 593714

@ ramarks Thanks for your help and cuddo's to your churchrestarting an old compost pile - Page 2 410210 sounds to me yall preach to the mind, body, and soul. Would that everyone could experience such a congregation.

@ Kelejan Send me some PLEASE!!!!!!! The rain is what ruined my piles last fall. I did not cover them when the rains came and came and came. Are you turning on a schedule or just when temps start to fall?

@ GWN hip-hip huraaaaa Don't make the same mistake I did last year when the leaves begin to fall. GET THEM ONLY IF THEY ARE DRY store them in someplace/way that is dry. Wet cloggs the shreaders; now what you going to do with them??????
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 6/23/2012, 7:38 pm

We had a great class today with our local county recycling Guru. She does all kinds of composting - heaps - bins - trenches - post-hole - worm bin composting - and making compost tea.

I asked her specifically about restarting an old compost pile. Her answer was, "Yes, by all means." There were some caveats.

1) If the pile was covered so rain has not leeched off the nutrients, then go for it.
2) You may have to add a bit more nitrogen (green and veggie scraps) than if you were starting new.
3) When you turn the pile you may be pleasantly surprised to find ready, good compost at the bottom. Again, if not leeched from rain, it is perfectly usable.

Her advice was to turn the pile - take out the usable - add nitrogen and water - and get it going again - like a new pile.

Just thought I'd let you know what an expert says about restarting an old pile.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/23/2012, 9:03 pm

Thanks I really appreciate the info. Since they never really got hot I am going to proceed with all the piles. If nothing else they will teach me "how to get it done". I will test the compost when complete for nutrient values. What I had left has really got hot during the last 6 days and getting still hotter so I am going for it.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 6/23/2012, 9:18 pm

That's encouraging. I'm going to start in on my old pile this week.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/24/2012, 7:45 pm

Pepper wrote:Wow today I checked my pile don't have a thremometer yet so the old tent pole went in; about 30 seconds later it was hot enough I would have been uncomfortable holding on to it. For the last several days it has been increasing in heat, so I guess I have atleast one 'hottie'. Now just ;what will be; three more to get hot.restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 3170584802

@ floyd1440 I am glad someone here can afford one or even several of these, when can I expect delivery of mine......restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 889526

@ Coelli The misses and I were in LA once a week (we were truckers running team; she is not driving now, I still do) so I do understand your lack of compost material. Looks like you are adapting as best you can.restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 593714 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 593714 restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 593714

@ ramarks Thanks for your help and cuddo's to your churchrestarting an old compost pile - Page 2 410210 sounds to me yall preach to the mind, body, and soul. Would that everyone could experience such a congregation.

@ Kelejan Send me some PLEASE!!!!!!! The rain is what ruined my piles last fall. I did not cover them when the rains came and came and came. Are you turning on a schedule or just when temps start to fall?

@ GWN hip-hip huraaaaa Don't make the same mistake I did last year when the leaves begin to fall. GET THEM ONLY IF THEY ARE DRY store them in someplace/way that is dry. Wet cloggs the shreaders; now what you going to do with them??????

@Pepper....Everyone has a different enviroment and I am blessed with tons of browns. My neighbor has 20+ years of leaves but moving and shreading is very labor intensive so I am considering alternatives to both moving, retreaving, and shreading compost material and then putting in a pile.

floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/25/2012, 4:20 pm

Well today the tent pole was not so hot. Time to turn the pile. In true fashon I took the outside and put it to the inside and the inside to the out. restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 P6253210

The center looked grey in color somewhat like ashes; is that normal. restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 P6253211

Seems like every time I try to take a compost picture the sun comes out. restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 P6253212

The final product is on the left restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 P6253213

I did not add anything but water, hope I was not susposed to add nore starting materials.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/25/2012, 4:51 pm

how DO YOU manage to turn those piles, I have just gone back to a very small pile for that reason, it was killing my back..
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 6/25/2012, 4:52 pm

Looks pretty daunting to me, too.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/25/2012, 5:11 pm

Pepper, I think what you are doing is perfect from where I sit. I wish I had gumption to turn my pile when I'm supposed to....

I'm with you, GWN...oh my aching back! But now that I've taken all the stix out (that I put in thinking they were good for aeration), it's so much easier.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/25/2012, 5:23 pm

Yup, looks good Pepper. I would say you're a HOTTIE Very Happy Shocked Razz

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/25/2012, 6:11 pm

I second that Rooster ..... that grey mould colour is what we are looking for ...the bacterial action is at optimum effect .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/25/2012, 7:23 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Yup, looks good Pepper. I would say you're a HOTTIE Very Happy Shocked Razz

I agree as well!!!! The grey in the pile is the same I have and it is definately working. This is my first year at it as well and will be turning mine tomorrow.

Will also have to wet my pile as it hasn't rain in 10 days.

floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/26/2012, 12:24 am

Glad to know about the "gray" color. Got the shipping notice yesterday for the compost therometer so the 'tent pole' will be retired soon.Laughing

The piles can be daunting to turn. That is probally why mine went cold in the first place, keeping five turned was just tooooooooooo much. I did find that making the top the bottom then digging the middle out for the sides then alternating as I went made it easier this time around.

I will probally wait for the therometer to get here before tackling the remaining piles. Truth is I am lazyyyyyyyyy.Laughing Laughing Laughing
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

restarting an old compost pile - Page 2 Empty Re: restarting the compost pile

Post  tabletopper 6/26/2012, 7:56 am

Where did you order the compost thermometer? I need one......
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next