Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Introduction and a question Toplef10Introduction and a question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Introduction and a question I22gcj10Introduction and a question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Introduction and a question Toplef10Introduction and a question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Introduction and a question I22gcj10Introduction and a question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Introduction and a question

+6
CapeCoddess
southern gardener
Goosegirl
cheyannarach
rowena___.
imtethered
10 posters

Go down

Introduction and a question Empty Introduction and a question

Post  imtethered 6/2/2012, 6:44 pm

Hello all! I'm from the White Mountains of NH and this year is my first year of square foot gardening. I've just within the last few weeks started planting my 10 new beds with mixed results. I have been having trouble with the plants from seeds or maybe I should say the lack there of. I planted according to package directions and used the vermiculite in the seed holes but a lot of my seeds were either rotted or worse yet not there at all. Can carpenter ants eat or carry off my seed? Because we have had a problem with them in the garden this year. In years past I haven't had seed problems with direct seeding into hills so I'm baffled and sort of saddened that I have to replant all my seeds and at the growth time I've lost. Any ideas?
imtethered
imtethered

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Introduction and a question Empty Re: Introduction and a question

Post  rowena___. 6/2/2012, 6:57 pm

welcome! 10 beds is a lot to start out with! i was not that brave, i started with two.

carpenter ants--oh lord--they have been eating our home from the inside out. this is a post i wrote almost exactly a year ago today:
http://www.romesticity.com/2011/07/june-busted-out-all-over.html

if they really are carpenter ants, get rid of them. do whatever it takes.

if they are just regular garden ants, sprinkle some cornmeal and sugar someplace where they can find it. they'll eat it but they can't digest it and it will kill them off.

rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/2/2012, 7:57 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!! Hope you find a solution for the ants! Keep us posted.

Rowena, I read your link, that would be terrible!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2012, 9:50 pm

Introduction and a question 396615 flower Introduction and a question 396615 flower Introduction and a question 396615

Welcome, and I hope you solve your ant problem! I, too, did not listen to Mel's advice and start small. I started with building 8 boxes and converting an existing bed. Added 2 more this year, but late so will be flowers only. Post pics when you can! I had one issue with seeds, one of my 3 kinds of squash did not sprout. I dug out the area I thought I planted them and found 2 of the 3 seeds. Moved them so they were not quite so deep and will give them another week. Otherwise, I will replant. Unfortunately, I do not know which kind of squash I planted there. May have to just make that square something else and live with only 2 kinds of summer squash. I always think I will remember what I plant where. Live and learn!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Introduction and a question Empty Thank you for the welcome!

Post  imtethered 6/8/2012, 4:48 pm

The article about the ants was awful! Thank goodness we have never had them in our house! The garden is a whole other thing.
I don't want to use chemicals to get rid of them if I don't have to. I've been using DE but lately it has rained every day so I think it hasn't been able to help. Does anyone know any organic way to get rid of them? they are now eating my root crops!!!! affraid Today I noticed the leaves on my radishes looked wilted so I pulled one and half of it was gone. pale I will replant for the 3rd time but not until the carpenter ants are gone.
imtethered
imtethered

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/8/2012, 5:00 pm

There is an ant product called Terro. It's supposed to be really good. you don't have to put it in with your plants. You put it around your garden/in your house and they take it back to the colony to eat/die. I also heard you can "make" it yourself, and I did, but it hasn't worked! I have more ants now than ever! I think it attracted every ant in the county! lol
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Introduction and a question Empty Sorry Rowena ...

Post  imtethered 6/8/2012, 5:22 pm

Sorry I didn't see your reply about the sugar and cornmeal. I'm going to try it as soon as the rain stops. Thank you so much for the idea!
imtethered
imtethered

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/8/2012, 6:15 pm

I think Terro is only for those little black ants. Altho maybe they make a carpenter ant bait now, I don't know.

A long time ago I tried mixing cat food with DE and leaving it out for the carpenter ants. I also sprinkle DE around their area. Something worked coz I don't see as many any more.

Just be sure to rig the cat food mix so cats, dogs and whoever else wonders onto your property don't eat it.

For regular black ants I just lightly sprinkle corn meal (fine) around where they are.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/24/2012, 3:57 pm

Wow Rowena as if the flooding wasn't enough, then you had to do some heavy duty insecticide spray! That is totally traumatic because you are trying to be organic and keep your family and environment healthy! I don't like using insecticides either if at all possible.

I am going to try your cornmeal and sugar idea for my ants in my beds. Thank you for the idea!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  imtethered 6/24/2012, 8:17 pm

After all the hub bub of the ant situation I had a gardener friend of mine come over and tell me although I did have an ant problem it was the Earwigs that were killing my garden. So I'm still not sure which it was but I have treated with a Neem spray and after a week or so I put in a bunch of ladybugs (the Neem isn't supposed to hurt them but I waited anyway) and as soon as I have time I'm going to release some Beneficial Nematodes also. I'm also still using the DE. Thank goodness things have greatly improved! Very Happy
I've replanted everything and all is doing well except for the Kohlrabi, oh well.
Thank you all so much for the help, without it I might have given up. No
imtethered
imtethered

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 6/25/2012, 9:47 am

kohlrabi is a cool-weather plant. once the days get long and the heat rises, it's done.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 6/25/2012, 11:59 am

southern gardener wrote:There is an ant product called Terro. It's supposed to be really good. you don't have to put it in with your plants. You put it around your garden/in your house and they take it back to the colony to eat/die. I also heard you can "make" it yourself, and I did, but it hasn't worked! I have more ants now than ever! I think it attracted every ant in the county! lol

Yes! Terro is an excellent ant killer and we've been using it for years as needed.
Renee Cool
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/25/2012, 1:47 pm

imtethered wrote:After all the hub bub of the ant situation I had a gardener friend of mine come over and tell me although I did have an ant problem it was the Earwigs that were killing my garden. So I'm still not sure which it was but I have treated with a Neem spray and after a week or so I put in a bunch of ladybugs (the Neem isn't supposed to hurt them but I waited anyway) and as soon as I have time I'm going to release some Beneficial Nematodes also. I'm also still using the DE. Thank goodness things have greatly improved! Very Happy
I've replanted everything and all is doing well except for the Kohlrabi, oh well.
Thank you all so much for the help, without it I might have given up. No

So glad you did not give up. We all here do our best to help newbies get over those first setbacks that can kill your urge to garden. It's our mission in life.Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Introduction and a question Empty long overdue newbie garden update

Post  imtethered 7/16/2012, 9:34 pm

Well the last 4 weeks or so have been an up and down ride. I'm still learning about different organic pest products because once I got the earwigs under control everything grew like wildfire. I continue the learning curve, I started with the earwigs and the next week it was aphids and just when I was feeling confidence again and aphids were gone the Japanese Beetles found my garden. Now I'm keeping the earwigs and Japanese beetles at bay and the cabbage worms decided to come in and join the party. I didn't want to give up on the garden more so I wanted to get the chemical pesticides out and nuke all the bugs! But good judgement prevailed.
Today I was thinking about how many obstacles I've overcome and the battles I'm still fighting and I looked at my garden. Despite everything my garden looks beautiful and is growing organically. So I guess with all my bumbling around the learning curve I still grew something not only beautiful but bountiful as well. I should be thankful.
imtethered
imtethered

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/16/2012, 9:52 pm

imtethered wrote:Well the last 4 weeks or so have been an up and down ride. I'm still learning about different organic pest products because once I got the earwigs under control everything grew like wildfire. I continue the learning curve, I started with the earwigs and the next week it was aphids and just when I was feeling confidence again and aphids were gone the Japanese Beetles found my garden. Now I'm keeping the earwigs and Japanese beetles at bay and the cabbage worms decided to come in and join the party. I didn't want to give up on the garden more so I wanted to get the chemical pesticides out and nuke all the bugs! But good judgement prevailed.
Today I was thinking about how many obstacles I've overcome and the battles I'm still fighting and I looked at my garden. Despite everything my garden looks beautiful and is growing organically. So I guess with all my bumbling around the learning curve I still grew something not only beautiful but bountiful as well. I should be thankful.

LOL, you are not alone, I too feel that pain...'To everything there is a season..."

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Introduction and a question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum