Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Toplef10Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 I22gcj10Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Toplef10Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 I22gcj10Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Was laughed at this weekend

+16
Daniel9999
Fantasma
subsonic
Kelejan
givvmistamps
llama momma
CharlesB
squaredeal
plantoid
Chopper
sfg4uKim
Squat_Johnson
madnicmom
kbb964
cheyannarach
KelliK
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Empty Bone Meal etc

Post  tomperrin 5/4/2012, 12:03 pm

KelliK wrote:
Is the fish, blood and bone meal available together or separately? More than just showing off, I would like to have a really great garden to feed my family.

Espoma markets a wide variety of organic products, either separately or as mixes.
http://espoma.com/p_consumer/org_trad_overview.html

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Empty Re: Was laughed at this weekend

Post  plantoid 5/4/2012, 2:14 pm

KelliK wrote:
plantoid wrote:
kbb964 wrote:and when you show them the fruits of your easy labor you can make them eat Mel's Mix !

He who laughs last, laughs loudest! ....... because they didn't get the joke in the first place ???? Wink

Kellik scratch a tiny bit of fish, blood and bone meal in each square as a dressing and setting up boost a week or more before planting /sowing and water it in well if this is your first ANSFG bed . It's just to cover all the bases in the event of any purchased ingredients not being the quality materials they purport to be

I've said this for your beds develop in quality over a few years once you get making your own composted manures to Mel's formula . Plus I'd not like to see them have a giggle at your expense if things were not 100% ideal for growing in.

Is the fish, blood and bone meal available together or separately? More than just showing off, I would like to have a really great garden to feed my family.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a tip.

Kelli

Here in the UK it is a single pack mixture of all three components ,you'll have to see what the guys on your side of the pond say.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 5/4/2012, 5:19 pm

Kelli

I'm a first year SFG and I'm going to use this in my beds to give it a boost. It is a little hard to find but I see there are several listed buy you in VA.
Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Organi10

http://drearth.net/blog/products/organic-fertilizers/organic-5-tomato-vegetable-herb-fertilizer/

If anybody else has used this chime in please.
chjbr63
chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Empty The Nay Sayers are having a change of heart

Post  KelliK 5/7/2012, 10:53 am

The garden is IN! This past weekend, my Husband and my Dad helped me put the garden in. After a couple "we are going how far for what!" comments (1.5 hours away for worm castings) and then "A REAL horse farm, here?!" They proved how much they love me and entertained the journey.

We had a great opportunity to explore our little part of the country and get materials to better our lives, and it was fun!

So back to the house we went. I busted out the tarp, laid it out, gave the guys rakes and started dumping. I put in the chicken (Chikety doo doo), leaf (organic leaf grow from Southern States), cow (from Meadows farms), worm (Veteran Compost), and horse (free from craigslist, composed for at least 3 years and located just outside the horse stables- it had no smell, was nice and brown/ black with very little wood chips). They initially wanted to just dump everything in at one time and buy a rototiller (DH has to have his toys!) and I told them no, a simple tarp and some rakes would be enough.

You see... I read the book and it has saved me so much trouble doing it the way it is suggested. Our family has always been row farmers and Dad couldnt wrap his mind around this new way, but once I explained all the nutrients and he quizzed me a little, he was quiet and I could tell he was processing the info.

So as I am dumping onto the tarp they are mixing and groaning about not just dumping it in. Then I bent down, grabbed one corner and asked them to do the same. Once both of them walked their side over (to mix it) they both said "ah!, so much easier!" and I laughed. They happily let me dump and we mixed four batches and let the kids water in between each batch. They really soaked the garden, but I think it needs it in the begining, just to get everyting "together" and the verm and peat activated. When the MM was all in, the two of them just had this look of complete satisfaction, the MM was well mixed, it wasn't an all day event and now, it was done.

My husband then marked out the squares and screwed screws in the side so I could tie in my grids (I decided to go with string instead of more wood- its easier on my eyes and still has the same effect.)and was done for the day. I tied in my grids and both my nay sayer neighbors came over (I think my husband had a chat with them about how easy it was lol). They saw me doing the grids and later planting some starters from Merifield. They were amazed at how nice the garden looked and how quickly we got it in.

Now, I know they will be watching me. Our one neighbor has had her plants in for about a month, so we will see the difference in the MM.

If I could figure out how to post pics, I would, but for some reason my computer here at work won't let me. I will try to send some from home.
KelliK
KelliK

Female Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Empty and

Post  KelliK 5/7/2012, 11:00 am

I forgot to mention that I also put in the worm tubes (again another explination to the hubs and dad) and added the occupants (the boys LOVED this part). And on top of the garden I added a gallon size bag of free Starbucks coffee grounds. I didnt get the bone meal, it kind of just slipped my mind. If you all still think I need it, I will get it and add it in.

On a side note, the castings I got from Justen at Veteran Compost had a lot of worms in it already. I probably didnt need to add any more as they were wiggling all about before I even added the tubes. Oh well.

And my measurements were not exact for anything except the verm and peat. I needed 18.33 cubic feet of compost, but I ended up with 4 cubic feet chicken, 4 cubic feet of cow, 4 cubic feet of worm, and 4 cubic feet of leaf. And a big 36 gallon trashcan full of horse manure. But everything I have read said its better to be heavy on the compost side than the other ingredients.

Thanks!
KelliK
KelliK

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/7/2012, 11:08 am

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 3170584802
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2624

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/7/2012, 4:05 pm

And next year you won't even have to do that much!!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mudhill 5/7/2012, 4:28 pm

don't feel bad i was laughed at 10 years ago,when i moved up on this hill.
now several folks around here have raised beds and are close cropping.

Larry
mudhill
mudhill

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 5/7/2012, 7:02 pm

My method with the bunny poo
I just broadcast it. and what is left over I put in the composter

there is a bunny rescue near me, yes every year people get bunnies for Easter and 3 months later are looking to have someone take them off their hands

I go and take bunny pellets from them 3 times a year. They used to give me bunnies too, but I think they figured out what I did with them. Rolling Eyes

Just kidding Twisted Evil
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 Empty SO Happy to say

Post  KelliK 6/14/2012, 1:19 pm

That my Nay Sayers are slack jawed at our garden. I have to now say its "our garden" because I dont want to hurt all their feelings. Smile

My husband said after learning about the six baby eggplants, 35 tomatoes, 4 cucumbers and an over abundance of herbs (especially dill) that "You really did your homework and got all the right ingredients, I am sorry I doubted you"! Justice is going to taste as tangy as those beautiful eggplant at our "Garden Party" later in July. I walked over to my neighbors and her toms are half the size of ours, and she planted them two weeks before I did.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!

on a positive note though, my neighbors are so impressed with our garden, they are bringing kitchen scraps for the worm tubes. We have mighty happy wormies.
KelliK
KelliK

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/14/2012, 1:45 pm

I am happy for you. When I first read your message, I knew this would happen. Was laughed at this weekend - Page 2 3170584802
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2