Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Toplef10I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce I22gcj10I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Toplef10I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce I22gcj10I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce

+2
SirTravers
auntij
6 posters

Go down

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Empty I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce

Post  auntij Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 pm

I have never planted iceberg before and am not sure how it should look (I bought some starter plants). How will I know if the plants "took" or not? At the moment they look like leaf lettuce and could be a wee bit perkier. Anybody have any tips or tricks that may help me keep my little lettuce friends growing strong?
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Empty growin the yummy stuff

Post  SirTravers Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Lettuce
Here's a pic of some iceberg lettuce growing. Hope this helps a lil.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Empty Re: I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce

Post  bullfrogbabe Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Head lettuce looks "leafy" when young but the leaves start to curl togther and form a head as they grow out from the middle.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Empty Re: I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce

Post  auntij Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Ok I just ran outside and took a picture LOL yes it is dark out seen as how it is after 9:30pm but it's a decent pic and HOPEFULLY you will be able to see the plants well enough to give me an idea if I did something right I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Icon_eek

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Imgp1914
auntij

Back to top Go down

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Empty good picture

Post  SirTravers Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Wow your camera has a great white balance to compensate for the flash. Good color too. Well the color still looks good and the leaves don't look wimpy. Possibly they are just being stubborn. My butternut leaf lettuce just sat for a few weeks and now it's really taking off. I say just keep on keepin on.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Thank you Sir I appreciate it! I have so much info in my head from reading lately sometimes I'm just not sure if I'm doing it right. As for the camera we got it a few years ago, it's a 7mp pentax optio. I does a really good job when you need it to.
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm

That's what mine looked like last year when I planted it. You can see the leaves starting to curl in the middle of your lower plants. Your lettuce will start forming a head in the middle where they grow out from. Don't worry your lettuce is normal, it will perk up a bit once it settles in from the transplant, I remember mine wilting a bit too when I first put it into the garden.

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce 19412

Here is a photo of one of my 4x4 SFG boxes in mid-June last year, last frost is usually late May for us so I don't have anything current to share (just starting seed now).

My great lakes head lettuce (similar to iceberg) was leafy like yours when I planted it. I put 2 per sq to give it room as I thought it would get big like cabbage for some reason, I never found out how big it would get as the deer ate them a couple weeks after this photo was taken -- there are 4 of them behind the pepper plants in the middle of the third row. It was starting form into heads here, only 2 weeks after transplanting with some of the initial single leaves dying back.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Buffington Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 am

Can any of the 'head' lettuces be grown here in the south? I have some of the 'loose leaf' varieties... but my wife and son insist we need heads of lettuce for salad. I thought I had seen some in one of my books, but was curious as to others' luck with those varieties and the like.
Jeff Buffington
Jeff Buffington

Male Posts : 150

Back to top Go down

I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Empty spacing

Post  bonnie0128 Thu May 06, 2010 1:34 pm

What is the spacing for iceberg? One per square?

I'm thinking of trying some in a square that will be quite shaded by other plants (tomatoes/squash) but is hard to reach (thus the need for not having to harvest often - once will be good). Or maybe I'll go with celery...
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  martha Thu May 06, 2010 9:32 pm

I think iceberg is 4 per square, but I lent my SFG book out - I need a little bit of help w/ iceberg lettuce Icon_cry (what was I thinking????)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 Fri May 07, 2010 8:17 am

I couldn't find it in the book - but just did a quick browse. It says "lettuce" but I believe that is in reference to leaf lettuce. So I didn't know if a head lettuce would be more like cabbage. The only other reference I found said that you can do the head lettuce 4 per square if harvesting the outer leaves often to keep them small. Since I won't be able to reach it well, I'm thinking I may have to go with one per square.
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down