Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? Toplef10What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? I22gcj10What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? Toplef10What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? I22gcj10What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?

+10
ralitaco
sanderson
CapeCoddess
yolos
landarch
Scorpio Rising
Mikesgardn
Mimi2
llama momma
Robbomb116
14 posters

Go down

What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? Empty What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?

Post  Robbomb116 9/27/2016, 5:20 pm

Me and lettuce have always been the worst of enemies.   When I was young I would yell from the backseat at the drive through that I was "allergic" in a desperate attempt to avoid having lettuce on my tacos. 

Now that I'm finally trying to incorporate more veggies into my diet I thought the time might come when I even have to try lettuce again.   I know nothing about lettuce types and if they even taste different.  I do know that the normal type they shred and put on stuff like tacos tastes extremely bitter to me.  And people think I'm crazy for thinking that, but that's how it is for me.

Any suggestions for a type of lettuce I should try to start with?  If I can't find it in the grocery store abs have to try and grow it next year that would be fine.   As long as it's quick enough to grow that I can plant it where my tomatoes wold eventually grow; that being the only spot I don't have anything planned for next spring.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? Empty Re: What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?

Post  llama momma 9/27/2016, 5:52 pm

I understand your dislike of bitter lettuce.  I came across a variety called Little Gem. These grow small heads of Sweet Tasting and nicely colored almost dark green leaves. Not that pale green junk.   I give this variety a grade of A+.  I recommend you look up this variety to see if it grows well in your location. Husband and I  are big fans.  Best wishes!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? Empty Re: What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?

Post  Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:17 pm

Romaine lettuce is different, because it has a nice crunch- and lots of water...It is especially delicious with Caesar dressing, croutons and bacon bits.Barely recognizable as lettuce. Even most kids (with their discerning taste buds) will eat it.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 9/27/2016, 9:14 pm

Try a lettuce mix like this:    http://www.superseeds.com/products/pinetree-lettuce-mix
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 285

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/27/2016, 9:59 pm

Another really nice butterhead like Little Gems is Matchless.  Easy to germinate and grow.  Very mild and crunchy, not bitter.  Heirloom.  I could send you some seeds if you want to try it?  PM me if interested!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/28/2016, 8:30 am

Butter head lettuce is delicious. It melts in your mouth.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 9/28/2016, 2:30 pm

I grew Romaine and experienced some bitterness (that nasty white milky sap) if I let the heads get big. 

I then started to learn about other lettuce types 1) Loose Leaf, 2)  Butterhead or Bibb, 3) Romaine, 4) Buttercrunch 5) Crisp Head...and maybe some others.

So this fall I'm growing Bibb, Buttercrunch, Boston Bibb (Baker Creek Seeds), and Igloo...and would like to add Nancy (Boston type from Johnny's) next spring. 

Another reason I like growing Bibb or Butter types is they are super expensive at the store.

Read through some seed catalogs like Johnny's to see what lettuce types may be interesting to you.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:25 pm

landarch wrote:
Another reason I like growing Bibb or Butter types is they are super expensive at the store.
Yes,  they are!  Because they don't ship well.  Their delicious mild flavor and wonderful texture tell you why!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/29/2016, 10:41 am

Question - I love nice crisp head lettuce but can't grow it here because the cool weather does not last long enough and it is virtually un-nutritious.  So, what other type of lettuce is the crispest.  So far I have found black seeded simpson.  Are there any better crispier non heading lettuce.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/29/2016, 11:59 am

I love Burpee's Little Ceasar. Does great right into summer here. You don't have to let it head up, just pick it early, which I do with some.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/8/2016, 2:01 am

This article was posted on Facebook by an aggie friend. At the end are some nice photos with descriptions. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/04/yuma-lettuce_n_6796398.html?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 10/8/2016, 12:26 pm

Actually tried a piece of romaine from my wife's salad.  It wasn't bad! At very least it lacked to bitter flavor that makes iceberg indelible to me.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 10/8/2016, 12:35 pm

My favorite variety has long slender leaves.
Has a reddish color.
Goes great with all sorts of foods.
Really tastes great...

BACON!!!!
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 10/8/2016, 12:45 pm

ralitaco wrote:My favorite variety has long slender leaves.
Has a reddish color.
Goes great with all sorts of foods.
Really tastes great...

BACON!!!!

I've heard it's great on a BLT!
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce? Empty Butterhead

Post  zaheerkhan 12/31/2021, 10:48 am

The first time ever that I tried lettuce was Butterhead Lettuce and I loved it. Try this. You will love it too.
zaheerkhan
zaheerkhan

https://backyardmash.com/

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 1/2/2022, 8:20 pm

I like Romaine, because it is easy to cut. Also like Salonva from Johnny's Seeds.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/3/2022, 7:58 pm

Flashy Butter Oak is gorgeous and tender, tasty.  My favorite butterhead is Marvel of 4 Seasons.  (Marseille de Quattro Saisons). Amazing.  And really pretty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/3/2022, 10:03 pm

Flashy Butter Oak is gorgeous and tender, tasty.  My favorite butterhead is Marvel of 4 Seasons.  (Marseille de Quattro Saisons). Amazing.  And really pretty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 1/4/2022, 12:37 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Flashy Butter Oak is gorgeous and tender, tasty.  My favorite butterhead is Marvel of 4 Seasons.  (Marseille de Quattro Saisons). Amazing.  And really pretty!

To be honest, they all taste pretty much the same to me. But Merveille is really pretty, pest resistant, and grows well once it gets going. It's also a legacy plant, so you once you let it go to seed you'll have  lots of more seeds.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/4/2022, 6:28 pm

markqz wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Flashy Butter Oak is gorgeous and tender, tasty.  My favorite butterhead is Marvel of 4 Seasons.  (Marseille de Quattro Saisons). Amazing.  And really pretty!

To be honest, they all taste pretty much the same to me. But Merveille is really pretty, pest resistant, and grows well once it gets going. It's also a legacy plant, so you once you let it go to seed you'll have  lots of more seeds.
Yes it is!  Love how spell correct screws up names all the time.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/10/2022, 4:55 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Yes it is!  Love how spell correct screws up names all the time.
So true rofl

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/11/2022, 6:49 pm

Not just names, but words in general.  It's trash.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down