Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Manure Question Toplef10Manure Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Manure Question I22gcj10Manure Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Manure Question Toplef10Manure Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Manure Question I22gcj10Manure Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Manure Question

+6
Turan
UnderTheBlackWalnut
philct
Too Tall Tomatoes
TN_GARDENER
scmelik
10 posters

Go down

Manure Question Empty Manure Question

Post  scmelik 4/5/2012, 7:13 pm

I have a really weird question for you all that are knowledgable.

How long does manure keep its nutritional value for plants? I have quite a few fields where we train dogs that are pasture land for horses and cattle. I was seriously thinking about going out and picking up a few 5 gallon buckets of cowpies from last season and for horse manure from last season to put into my compost pile but I wasn't sure if it has any value left in it after sitting all fall and winter.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Manure Question Empty Re: Manure Question

Post  TN_GARDENER 4/5/2012, 7:41 pm

Since you are going to compost it, it ought to work just fine (the other ingredients in your compost pile will blend together and enrich one another).

In fact, I'd prefer to have manure that's a couple/few years old.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/5/2012, 7:56 pm

scmelik wrote:I have a really weird question for you all that are knowledgable.

How long does manure keep its nutritional value for plants? I have quite a few fields where we train dogs that are pasture land for horses and cattle. I was seriously thinking about going out and picking up a few 5 gallon buckets of cowpies from last season and for horse manure from last season to put into my compost pile but I wasn't sure if it has any value left in it after sitting all fall and winter.

Grab as many cowpies and stablecakes(horse manure) as you can possibly carry.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1067

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 4/5/2012, 8:06 pm

Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

+1

The saleswoman at Agway offered me composted horse manure for free... Don't think I have any reservation driving on up to her barn and taking as much as she'll give me!!! Well, maybe I'll rent a car.pale
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/5/2012, 10:10 pm

philct wrote:
Well, maybe I'll rent a car.pale

Hey Phil...maybe you should rent a truck? What a Face
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 556
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 4/5/2012, 10:14 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:
philct wrote:

Excellent advice... bounce
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/5/2012, 10:14 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:
philct wrote:

And be prepared to stop at the car wash on the way to taking the truck back. What a Face
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/5/2012, 10:31 pm

philct wrote:
Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

+1

The saleswoman at Agway offered me composted horse manure for free... Don't think I have any reservation driving on up to her barn and taking as much as she'll give me!!! Well, maybe I'll rent a car.pale

Welll.... the old manure will have lost its nitrogen component. So expect accordingly.

A word of warning about horse manure. Ask if the hay was certified weed free. There is a herbicide that is common on hay fields, especially certified weed free fields and it endures for years. I wiped out half my traditional garden using composted manure from hay I fed my animals one year. I got a deal on certified weed free hay and had no idea of its toxicity. A place in my valley that makes compost to sell almost went bankrupt after some of that manure got in their mix.
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2618

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/5/2012, 10:47 pm

Turan wrote:
A word of warning about horse manure. Ask if the hay was certified weed free. There is a herbicide that is common on hay fields, especially certified weed free fields and it endures for years. I wiped out half my traditional garden using composted manure from hay I fed my animals one year. I got a deal on certified weed free hay and had no idea of its toxicity. A place in my valley that makes compost to sell almost went bankrupt after some of that manure got in their mix.

Yep. That herbicide is called aminopyralid. I've read about that around the time I added horse manure to my compost bin and I actually lost sleep over it. Afterwards, I contacted the woman who gave me the manure and she claims that her family has been using the horse manure for years in their gardens and nobody ever had an issue. She feeds her horses locally-grown timothy alfalfa hay and grain

I trust her.

Here's an old thread I dug up on the issue of aminopyralid.

Aminopyralid in Manure <------- click
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolinaGirl 4/6/2012, 9:47 am

I ride horses and was totally planning to take some manure from the pile home to put on my beds for the winter this year. The barn owner uses it for her own beds and they do really well so don't think the weed killer thing is an issue. What a Face
CarolinaGirl
CarolinaGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 4/6/2012, 9:54 am

Bird dogs that you train? Bird dogs and South Dakota go together..
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/6/2012, 2:50 pm

When my first Munchkin was a kidde back in early March 1976 I was in the UK's military . I used the now redundant perambulator to go out cow pat collecting using several plastic bags as gloves .. three miles each way to the fields where I'd seen the dairy cows and on the way back a babies pram with a massive bag of fairly well dried cow pats in it.

Every one of my neighbours thought I was stark raving mad as I daily stacked the almost bone dry dried pats in my garden shed .. it was a tremendously dry year for the UK with unusually high temps .

There was no smell emitting from my shed .

From mid June onwards we went into water rationing via the water mains and were only allowed water after 18.00 hrs. The water for use in the day was out of two black 5 gallon plastic jerry cans

At the end of June I started digging in the dried cowpats in the bone dry chalk soil and used second hand water out the house bath tub , sink and kitchen sink drains to water the garden.

The cow pats made a fantastic blotting paper in the soil , the nutrients must have been pretty good for I was the only one around with massive carrots , lettuce , radish , greens , beans & potatoes . I was expecting to have forked carrots but they didn't fork just they just grew and grew instead.

Seven year or more years old composted stable muck that contained lots of straw is a much sought after comoddity here in the UK .

I have used it on many occasions in the past and you can grow whiskers on your baby brother with it.

Last edited by plantoid on 4/6/2012, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/6/2012, 2:57 pm

plantoid wrote:

When my first Munchkin was a kidde back in early March 1976 I was in the UK's military . I used the now redundant perambulator to go out cow pat collecting using several plastic bags as gloves .. three miles each way to the fields where I'd seen the dairy cows and on the way back a babies pram with a massive bag of fairly well dried cow pats in it.

Every one of my neighbours thought I was stark raving mad as I daily stacked the almost bone dry dried pats in my garden shed .. it was a tremendously dry year for the UK with unusually high temps .

There was no smell emitting from my shed .

From mid June onwards we went into water rationing via the water mains and were only allowed water after 18.00 hrs. The water for use in the day was out of two black 5 gallon plastic jerry cans

At the end of June I started digging in the dried cowpats in the bone dry chalk soil and used second hand water out the house bath tub , sink and kitchen sink drains to water the garden.

The cow pats made a fantastic blotting paper in the soil , the nutrients must have been pretty good for I was the only one around with massive carrots , lettuce , radish , greens , beans & potatoes . I was expecting to have forked carrots but they didn't fork just they just grew and grew instead.
THAT is a great tale. Thanks Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Manure Question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 4/7/2012, 8:30 pm

rod champion wrote:Bird dogs that you train? Bird dogs and South Dakota go together..

yep we train retrievers for hunting and for field trial competitions.

Thanks everyone I am going to go and pick up a bucket load of cowpatties tomorrow and a bucket full of chicken manure from my buddies shed. I will get the stable cakes in the next few weeks. Hopefully this year my compost will workout since it didn't last year Sad
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down