Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! Toplef10Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! I22gcj10Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! Toplef10Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! I22gcj10Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!!

+2
llama momma
LeeAnne12
6 posters

Go down

Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! Empty Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!!

Post  LeeAnne12 3/28/2012, 12:00 pm

...so I was checking on my worms this morning and I looked at the banana to see if they had eaten all the banana I had put in there. On the outside of the banana are these tiny...and I mean tiny, not even the size of a pin head crawling on them. Does anyone know what these could be and are they harmful.

Also, I am having trouble with figuring out how wet it should be in there. My newspapers are moist on top of the bedding, but the bedding seems really dry. I used coir (sp?) that came with the Worm Factory. They seemed a little sluggish so I sprayed the bedding down with water last night.

Any tips would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Female Posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! Empty Re: Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!!

Post  LeeAnne12 3/28/2012, 12:05 pm

I forgot to say...but the bugs are white.

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/28/2012, 12:20 pm

I have seen those things exactly as you described. Probably a type of mite, but don't freak it is normal. There are lots of things that will live in your bin, some can be seen with the naked eye, others are microscopic. It's all good and they have a role in the composting cycle. I keep the lid on and add weight to it. Personally, I don't like giving any little beasties the chance to crawl out, that's why I weigh it down. I'm doing this wormery thing too but believe me I'm shaking my head at times and questioning my sanity. I won't tell you my husband's opinion, other than he has a great sense of humor and must really love me lots rofl
Moisture: I know it's hard to figure out. If the food is being eaten, if you are seeing casts, then things are prb. OK. If they are staying inside and not trying for a mass escape then they are ok too.
The casts: I could really identify them about the third week or about 1 week ago. But just read 3 to six weeks is a normal time frame to find it.
I have disposable gloves and admit I get in there once a day and fluff things up to add oxygen, I don't think it is really necessary but I want to Do Something to make me feel like I'm helping and to see if anything looks really bad. I spray a little here and there to add moisture. I read The 2 biggest mistakes people make is feeding too much and adding too much water. What a blabber mouth I am today. thinking
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! Empty critters

Post  Boz 3/28/2012, 6:39 pm

It sounds like you have mites. They seem to come and go in my worm bins. This links to an article on worm bin critters, the article is down from the top of the page.l

http://www.wormdigest.org/content/view/35/2/
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/28/2012, 7:12 pm

Bananas are notorious for harboring fruit fly eggs, perhaps these are fruit fly larvae. Can you post a photo?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Bugs with my worms..Oh No!!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  nancydobs 3/28/2012, 9:01 pm

The bedding should be about as damp as a wrung-out sponge. Food scraps will quickly add moisture. You'll probably be adding more dry or barely-damp bedding over time, just to compensate for all the moisture in fruit and veggie scraps. I gave up on adding fruit peels to the worm bin, as I keep my bin in the house and the fruit peels just seem LOADED with insect larvae. I have plenty of veggie scraps for the worms, and send my fruit scraps to the compost heap outdoors (or feed to the chickens). If you really want to use up fruit scraps, just freeze them first; I've read it will kill any insect larvae. I know that most insects are beneficial in the bin, but still, it's not pleasant to have them swarm out into the house every time you open the bin. I also had bad insect problems after using leaves for bedding. It was just OVERRUN with bugs of every kind! Now I stick to paper-based bedding like cardboard, newspaper, paper egg cartons, etc.
nancydobs
nancydobs

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/29/2012, 7:01 am

Nancy D
Thanks that is good advice to know about leaves. I wouldn't want those other critters in my house either. So, maybe (one day) leaves would be a preferred bedding an insulated outdoor bin. In the book, Worms Eat My Garage, she recommends for a new bin, a handful or two of outdoor soil as "an inoculum of soil bacteria, protozoa, and fungi ,,to aid in the composting process." The only grit in mine so far is regular additions of ground up egg shells. Did everyone else add outdoor soil??
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 3/29/2012, 8:29 am

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think the bugs are too small to show up in a photo unless I got my macro lens out. I do think they are mites. I guess I probably should use gloves when I'm messing with the worms, but I wash my hands after I have had them in there.

I do have one more question. The food that I feed them has mold on it. Is it OK to put that in there or should I put that in the composter and chop some more up for them?

Thanks again!!!

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 3/29/2012, 8:46 am

LeeAnne,

From what I've read, it isn't the "food" that they eat but the decomposition, so moldy food should be a shmorgasboard for the wormies Smile

I've actually got a "decomposing" green pepper in my veggie bin (in a bag mind you) that I'm holding for when my wormies get here next week.
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/29/2012, 8:48 am

Agree, think of mold as a good fungus food for them, just put it in. Worms don't eat the food as we do. They consume the decomposing bits which is the fungus and bacteria, etc. When you put the food in fresh it can take days to about a week for the microscopic breakdown to occur so the worms' itty bitty mouths can consume it. On the other hand, you can add fuzzy fruit or veggies for more of an immediate meal for them. To calm down any stinky-ness I have wrapped the food scraps in moistened newspaper and place it 2 inches below the bedding. They soon find the little package. Looks like a party in there Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down