Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Toplef105 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find I22gcj105 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Toplef105 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find I22gcj105 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find

+23
The Cat's Other Mother
gallgood
KelliK
GWN
Kate888
Lavender Debs
shannon1
RoOsTeR
Roseinarosecity
Daniel9999
ksbmom
floyd1440
B maier
Joyce_S
kat51415
walshevak
camprn
llama momma
obrdrln
UnderTheBlackWalnut
Furbalsmom
H_TX_2
sequoia
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Empty 5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find

Post  sequoia 3/23/2012, 3:54 pm

I am setting up my first square foot garden this season and I am more than a little frustrated. If I hadn't already dumped a lot of money into this I would drop it all together and just do regular raised bed gardening.

First, I could not find vermiculite in the Washington, DC area. I finally found it on line (7 springs) and ordered it for a pretty penny.

Now, I cannot find 5 kinds of compost. I only need 10 cubic feet so you would think this easy enough. But no. I have called all the major garden centers in the DC area and they all carry the exact same compost: Leaf Grow (maybe spelled LeafGro). Home depot and Lowes also carry a cow manure mix that feels very dense, which I've heard is not a good thing for compost. Come to think of it, the LeafGro feels pretty dense, too. At best that is only 2 types of compost. Where is this so called "mushroom" compost sold? Beats me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Some will suggest farms but I live in the city. I found (on Craig's List) farmers that have horse manure compost but it is a good hour drive away. Seems excessive for a couple of cubic feet of compost! And it still doesn't make the magic 5.

At this point, I have about 1.5 cubic feet of my own compost so I can combine mine with LeafGro and cow manure compost and call it a day. If I do this, should I just resort to some fertilizer this year? By next year my compost system will be kicking out a lot more so this shouldn't be an ongoing problem.

Thanks for any comments. And sorry if I seem agitated, I am a bit Frustrated and particualry annoyed with Mel for his smiling attitude that this is all sooooo easy. When in fact, two of the major ingredients are very difficult to obtain.
sequoia
sequoia

Back to top Go down

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Empty Re: 5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find

Post  H_TX_2 3/23/2012, 4:10 pm

In my experience Home Depot and Lowes will only have hardware that is useful to your SFG. Also here in Houston we have lots of chain garden centers with the city in their name and I found these to be unhelpful. When you are new to gardening and your only experience is basic yard work and planting things in the front bed those stores are what you typically have experience with. I too was frustrated and skipped the vermiculite until I planted my fall garden. Now after doing this for a year and searching for different things I know where the stores are that sell what I need. Before starting my SFG I had never heard of these stores now I'm like a kid in a candy store. Just because a store is a garden center or nursery does not necessarily mean they will carry what is needed for this type of garden. Just stick with it and hopefully you will find a couple of stores that carry what you need. Last year when I was searching for vermiculite a typical response from some garden centers was "what's vermiculite." These places will sell you lots of manure and Miracle Gro but not much that is useful for SFG. Just stick with it and it will pay off.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Empty Re: 5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find

Post  sequoia 3/23/2012, 4:20 pm

H_TX_2 wrote:In my experience Home Depot and Lowes will only have hardware that is useful to your SFG. Also here in Houston we have lots of chain garden centers with the city in their name and I found these to be unhelpful. When you are new to gardening and your only experience is basic yard work and planting things in the front bed those stores are what you typically have experience with. I too was frustrated and skipped the vermiculite until I planted my fall garden. Now after doing this for a year and searching for different things I know where the stores are that sell what I need. Before starting my SFG I had never heard of these stores now I'm like a kid in a candy store. Just because a store is a garden center or nursery does not necessarily mean they will carry what is needed for this type of garden. Just stick with it and hopefully you will find a couple of stores that carry what you need. Last year when I was searching for vermiculite a typical response from some garden centers was "what's vermiculite." These places will sell you lots of manure and Miracle Gro but not much that is useful for SFG. Just stick with it and it will pay off.

Thanks for the response but I have called the "underground" garden centers. There are some good ones, too but they all carry the same compost "Leaf Gro", which is actually very good municipal plant compost packaged by the state of MD. Sadly, that is all I've found and a number of independent garden centers. Lowes and Home Depot both also carry it and also have the cow manure compost. But that is it. I'm now searching around on line to see if I can order some.

I am sure I haven't called every garden center/supply in DC but it is getting tiresome.
sequoia
sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/23/2012, 4:21 pm

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 654548 sequoia

The first year truly is the most frustrating. I tried using the phone as much as possible to locate both vermiculite and compost. It saved a lots of time and angst. Perhaps a vermiculite source will also be able to provide compost.

VERMICULITE DATA BASE

I was able to find some compost variety at hardware stores like ACE and TrueValue. WalMart, KMart, even my grocery store had at least two varieties.

As to the compost feeling dense, it probably is just damp or wet.

Good luck and hopefully the compost is closer than you think.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3138

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 3/23/2012, 4:25 pm

Hi Sequoia!

Wow! I don't blame you for being frustrated! I looked up LeafGro and I think it's a humus from grass clippings and leaves. Cow manure would be a good addition to that.

In my area, I was able to find some mixed soil conditioner that was mainly manures, guano, humus, etc as well as some worm castings at HYDROPONICS stores. I don't know if that's what you mean by "underground" nurseries. There was one called Capital City Hydroponics I found online that look like they carry some Happy Frog and Fox Farm products as well as worm castings. Those stores had more options for me than the nurseries which, like your area, didn't carry but one kind of compost. If you can get around the fact that some hydroponics stores are sometimes selling to folks who grow...errr...indoor plants, they actually have a great knowledge about soil-less growing mixes. If you do have to get something that has peat in it, just be sure to lesson the peat you put in your mix.

Worm castings are one of the best things you can add to your mix and, while they can be a little bit pricey, most hydroponics stores do carry them and it sounds like you don't need too much. Smile

Keep us posted on how it is going for you... Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 556
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 3/23/2012, 4:26 pm

'Mon down to the Richmond, Colonial Heights, Petersburg area and I can hook you up with mushroom compost, manure/humus compost, forestry compost, and alpaca/leaf compost!! Then, later this month, chicken/horse/woodshavings combo!!!

It's taken a while to amass all of this stuff but......

Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Female Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 3/23/2012, 4:27 pm

And there's a source for worm castings in Alexandria!!

Still Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/23/2012, 4:29 pm

I have found vermiculite in suburban and city hydroponic stores. You might have better luck in those stores. Hope this helps.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4914

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/23/2012, 4:49 pm

My first thought is aren't there mounted police in the city? where is the stable? If you have a car, I would encourage you to take Judy up on the offer.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/23/2012, 4:54 pm

Home Depot in your area carries Scott's humus and manure.

Lowes in Alexandria lists 3 composts. Lowes in certain areas carry the Black Kow, Black Hen products. Call the manager and see if he can have some shipped in for in store pickup.

http://www.ginkgogardens.com/products.html

these folks don't say what brand

Frustrating too say the least.

Kay

National Zoo????

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  sequoia 3/23/2012, 4:58 pm

obrdrln wrote:And there's a source for worm castings in Alexandria!!

Still Judy

Judy where is this source? Do you have a link?

Thanks,

Chris
sequoia
sequoia

Back to top Go down

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Empty I feel your pain...

Post  kat51415 3/23/2012, 5:06 pm

I was right where you are just a few days ago. Nothing was coming together and we had already spent a fortune on just the materials to build the boxes. (It was a fortune to us, anyway.) I was searching in the vermiculite database and found a mom and pop nursery that really understands the SFG method. They carried everything for it but they are 179 miles from my home. Because we have so much into it already and we have no other options, we'll be making that trip. The good news is that you only have to build the base MM once. If you're diligent with your own compost, by the time you need it, you'll have your own. Hang in there. You're not alone! Wink
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 3/23/2012, 5:33 pm

Found this on DC Craigslist, Chris. Went to Lake Anna SP last weekend but didn't get up to get any castings.......

email this posting to a friend washington, DC craigslist > northern virginia > for sale / wanted > farm & garden

please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Worm Castings (World's BEST Organic Fertilizer!) - $20 (Bailey's Crossroads)

Date: 2012-03-21, 10:58AM EDT
Reply to: [email=mdbfc-2879556504@sale.craigslist.org?subject=Worm%20Castings%20(World's%20BEST%20Organic%20Fertilizer!)%20-%20%2420%20(Bailey's%20Crossroads)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwashingtondc.craigslist.org%2Fnva%2Fgrd%2F2879556504.html%0A]mdbfc-2879556504@sale.craigslist.org[/email] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Worm castings (worm poop) - natural, organic super-fertilizer!
Mix dry castings in soil, or brew into tea and water plants with it
- even BETTER than compost!
- helps bring back dried out, dormant lawns!

approx 4 lbs. for $20

obrdrln
obrdrln

Back to top Go down

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Empty 4 down, one to go -- compost

Post  Joyce_S 3/23/2012, 5:38 pm

I was expecting to have a hard time finding course vermiculite, but it's the 5th type of compost that stumping me. No (By the way, the vermiculite database is how I discovered a wonderful little feed & seed store that will get more of my business, that's for sure.) Back to the compost, I have chicken, cow, mushroom and a compost that says it was created from food residuals and yard/wood trimmings. I wonder whether using the latter compost twice would be okay or if I should continue trying to locate a truly different type of compost for my fifth one?
Joyce_S
Joyce_S

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/23/2012, 6:08 pm

Joyce, have you asked at the little feed and seed store if they know any local farmers that may have a bit of compost they may want to part with? Another place is to hit up the Farmer's Market if you have one and chat up the folks there.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  B maier 3/23/2012, 6:30 pm

I've always been a believer in doing the best that you can and not to worry about your best not being good enough. I only found 3 types of compost cow, chicken and something unknown (it was a cheap generic bag labeled "potting soil") I'm a little worried about that unknown stuff... but it was a small bag and I'm only starting with 12 squares. I think my mix might be heavy on the compost and light on the vermeculite, but oh well I'm using it anyway.

I'm not going to let myself stop because it isn't perfect, you shouldn't either. Fill those boxes as best as you are able and plant those seeds.Smile
B maier
B maier

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/23/2012, 7:56 pm

It is VERY hard to find all five. I did the best I could and also had four and am counting on compost to the the main contributor going forward.

The book makes it seem like a snap and I concentrated on the vermiculite; which I found but the the 5 types of compost is the toughest:(
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 3/23/2012, 8:15 pm

I saw a bumper sticker that said:

All you can do is all you can do and all you can do is enough.

Amen!

Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/23/2012, 8:29 pm

I have to agree with that bumper sticker..Hopefully my limited compost mix will get me through the start of the season.

Just keep plugging away Shocked
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/23/2012, 8:31 pm

“Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”― Hunter S. Thompson

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 311672 Keep looking. Shocked

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 3/23/2012, 9:05 pm

I second the feed stores! Ours always has vermiculite and the Black Hen (although it's a bit pricey). They always know where to find things, though. One source we found for free was our local landfill. They compost yard waste - that formed the base of our homemade compost pile. Our first bed only had 3 types of compost and it's been doing well. I had to add some Miracle Gro liquid fertilizer once or twice, but now that we've replanted a bunch of squares and added more compost each time, things look great.
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 3/23/2012, 9:21 pm

Are you sure you looked them in the right places?

Did you only look for the composts at the big box stores (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, ect...)? If so its no wonder you could not find all five at the big box stores selection is usually somewhat limited.

Try looking at the local Nurseries, Garden Centers, or farm supply stores in your area for the composts and you might have better luck.

The composts were the easiest part of Mels Mix for me to find.

I managed to find all five at a single farm supply store (Wilco) here in Oregon.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 3/23/2012, 9:36 pm

Try Safeway supermarkets. Here in Southern California they are known as Vons and Safeway and they have their own brand of compost. Here's some info dated Feb 12, 2012:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/2012/02/29/with-safeway-in-the-leed-giant-starts-composting/

And Whole Foods supermarket also has the most beautiful compost. A bit pricey but it is awesome. The compost are usually near the floral departments, at least here in California.

Good luck!
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/23/2012, 9:54 pm

And Whole Foods supermarket also has the most beautiful compost. A bit pricey but it is awesome. The compost are usually near the floral departments, at least here in California.

I agree Rose. I use their compost and love it 5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 3170584802

“Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”― Hunter S. Thompson

Keep looking.

+1 camp.

If you make your own compost, you won't have to look for it anymore Very Happy
Now is the time to start planning ahead.
Remember, what you put into your garden now is key to what you will be able to harvest from it later 5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find 3170584802

5 types of compost- becoming impossible to find Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4299

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/24/2012, 2:57 am

the differance I have found between 4 and 5 diffrent kinds of compost is amazing. I also had red worms turn up in my TT so that could also have something to do with how much greener my plants are this year too.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next