Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 Toplef101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 I22gcj101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 Toplef101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 I22gcj101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

1,000 worms on their way....

+54
AtlantaMarie
has55
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Thalia Budai
Marc Iverson
sanderson
CaptainKidney
grownsunshine
mschaef
Triciasgarden
Nain de Jardin
yolos
Turnip
kgreseth
Dreaming of Green
Lemonie
Thomas
littlejo
Lindacol
bnoles
mollyhespra
camprn
meatburner
CapeCoddess
No_Such_Reality
songstriss
Kelejan
Pepper
Coelli
givvmistamps
brenda g
chjbr63
FamilyGardening
AvaDGardner
Grandpop
curio
Boz
Laurie Lou
GWN
plantoid
LeeAnne12
Josh
RoOsTeR
shannon1
Ha-v-v
lonewolfrissy
Furbalsmom
walshevak
BackRiver_SFG
quiltbea
1airdoc
gwennifer
elliephant
llama momma
58 posters

Page 6 of 24 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next

Go down

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 Empty Re: 1,000 worms on their way....

Post  FamilyGardening 6/6/2012, 2:51 pm

sounds like the worms are nice and happy at your house LLM Very Happy cant wait to see your harvest......

funny you say that some friends donated a bunch of news papers for the worms.....my momma came by last night with four large black yard waste bags full of shredded paper for our worms Shocked she and my sister/brother inlaw have been saving thier scraps from juicing as well for the worms.....they are all excited about it......Razz what we dont use for the worms goes straight into the compost pile.....hubby is even going to build a third compost bin cyclops

with everyone getting so excited about composting we have transitioned from two garbage cans to one garbage can and no green waste can that cost 15.00 dollars on our city bill......and a much larger recycle can-free.....its going to be at least 50.00 dollars total savings on our city bill cheers now

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 6/6/2012, 5:30 pm

Rose, I've never understood why they charge to recycle. Especially when it's optional! They did that in where my mother lived, and she was on a limited budget. Sweet thing she is...she went for recycling!

I've found that there is no way 1000 worms can keep up with our green waste (a family of 4). For us, they eat a day's waste once a week or less (coffee & filter every day, salad every day, fruit throughout the day, a green veggy twice a week...more now with the garden). As someone suggested, I need a guinea pig would to keep up our greens. So would a compost pile, if I had a yard!

Newspaper is keeping mine happiest. Like LM, I should be ready to separate out the castings soon.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/6/2012, 6:01 pm

Nice Rose and Ava, sounds like we have happy worms and are enjoying our compost efforts. cheers
AvaD maybe we'll share pictures of our worm cast harvest in a few weeks. I was going to wait longer but I am anxious to put castings in the garden. The castings are lighter in color than what I was expecting. Maybe due to the newspaper portion of their cuisine :scratch:
Look forward to counting how many worms are in there since I didn't do a head count when they arrived.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/6/2012, 6:16 pm

ava our recycle bin from the city is free....we didnt know that we could get an even bigger one...so we traded the old one for a larger one....its the green waste bin that you throw lawn clippings and such in that they charge 15 dollars each bill for.....we didnt even know we were getting charge for it....thought it was free too....so....when looking at our family budget we wanted to cut back on some things.....i started to look closer at our city bill to see what we could do there......composting and worm farming is going to save us about 50.00 each bill Shocked this is our first month to only having one garbage bin...What a Face ...i know we can do it....we just can not be lazy! Embarassed

LLM we are thinking about adopting more worms cyclops they have a nice spot outside in the shade....the container doesnt smell bad anymore...putting LOTS of shredded papper on top took care of that problem....we only peak a tad bit when giving them their food....and so far...the ones that we see moving as fast as they can are wet and FAT!

p.s.....funny story....our children and us really want rabbits and chickens....we are allowed to have them here in the city but are only allowed 3 *pets*

daughter asked if we are going to get into trouble for farming 200 worms.......1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 889526 our son said....*rabbits & chickens are food! not pets* Shocked 1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 889526 you dont eat your pets......ha ha ha ha 1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 889526

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 6/6/2012, 7:06 pm

llama momma wrote:Nice Rose and Ava, sounds like we have happy worms and are enjoying our compost efforts. cheers
AvaD maybe we'll share pictures of our worm cast harvest in a few weeks. I was going to wait longer but I am anxious to put castings in the garden. The castings are lighter in color than what I was expecting. Maybe due to the newspaper portion of their cuisine :scratch:
Look forward to counting how many worms are in there since I didn't do a head count when they arrived.

I'm wondering how I'm going to separate the casting from the newspaper. I can see them...they kinda look like the letters have rolled off the paper, if you know what I mean. I'll definitely be wearing nitrile gloves, because it is difficult to get your nails clean without!

What they do not look like are the castings you buy. But maybe they will when they are out of 'farm' and in their own bag!

LOL...I've been pulling my spring plants and wondering what to use for compost... DOH! my castings!

Rose...keep an eye on those city bills! I'm glad they don't charge you. We recycle in my city too, but I live in a community with a dumpster so I don't know how it works. When I saw the colored trash bins at the garden I had to ask what each was for!

Here's an odd one...we threw some fresh grape leaves (not decomposing) to the 'non newspaper' level of the 'farm' and the worms were all over it! Anything that gets them to leave the newspapers is amazing!

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/6/2012, 7:22 pm

good thing then that our worms havent tasted new's paper Razz they get to feast on our shredded bil's each month 1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 889526 not only are they saving us money on our composting/garbage bill....they are eating the paper and envolpes the bil's come in.....1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 889526

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 6/7/2012, 3:03 am

that's pretty clever! Most of my bills come electronically now. I do use paper I've printed on though...faxes I don't need, etc. (We just had a RE sale closing so there is a LOT of that!). I do use the non-shiny flyers that come in the mail...munch munch!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/14/2012, 12:51 am

checking in to see how all the worms are doing .....

our container with 400 + worms is doing great!!....still havent bought more yet....gonna one of these days.....and will also post some pic's soon.... now that we may have a few days of a break from the rain Very Happy

wanted to share a pic we took today while we were pulling up some broc, cauli's and cabbage in our back to eden-sqf-raised beds.....just by disturbing the dirt...out came a bunch of worms!.....we didnt even dig the dirt....just pulled up on the plants and before the plant had even lifted out of the ground....all these worms came out like *wondering what was shaking the earth*.....1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 889526 ....and no we can not read worms minds either....we just new by the look on their faces.....1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 692681

pic of the wild out in nature worms doing their thing.....

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 Dscf0537

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/17/2012, 6:32 pm

Nice worm photo Rose! Happy worm kids. bounce
Today I lifted the lid, first time in 9 whole days. That's a record I believe. A little worried as to what I might find. Shoot they looked really good, found the largest amount of large and plump adults so far. Added 4 different kinds of moistened bedding, newspaper, gray egg carton paper, brown packing paper, and torn up cardboard. The moist bedding depth is back to 8+ inches deep. Threw in pulverized egg shell, and more ground up eggshells inside the moistened packet of food. Added dry torn paper on top of it all. I was quite surprised this time at the number of worms evenly spread out over the bottom. Perhaps the last packet of food was finished days ago so there was no need to bunch up around the buffet. I've got to get another bin this week to prepare the aged bedding for a new bin. Plan to harvest castings and separate out the gang into 2 bins the end of this month.
Happy worming everyone!
BB\'s happy face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/17/2012, 8:27 pm

Hi family gardening, I have been doing lots and lots of digging trying to make beds etc., and the worms just seem to come from out of nowhere.
I often dig and then go to dig a second time and suddenly there is another worm. I try VERY hard not to hurt them, but every now and then Sad Sad
TImely message about worms, I had to put my worm farm out side because I got invaded by bugs (they do not seem to mind the worms)
I have them in my greenhouse and it is open all the time and so not hot.
Llama momma:
Just a few days ago I put the second level on the worm farm.
So there is the lower level that everything is supposed to drain to, but I never have any drainage, and that layer has a very good thick layer of worm castings, then the layer above it is where all of my worms have been all along, it seemed to be getting crowded and so I thought I would try out the next layer.
So I put some wet newspaper shredded, and the rest of the bed I used 2 year old manure, and took what food was left from the main level. OH and some sand.
AND SO I guess I am waiting for them to MOVE ON UP.....
Does not seem to be very many here who have these layered farms, (I bought it before I found out about the make your own ones)
So I hope I am doing the right thing BB\'s happy face
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/17/2012, 8:35 pm

Here's an odd one...we threw some fresh grape leaves (not decomposing) to the 'non newspaper' level of the 'farm' and the worms were all over it! Anything that gets them to leave the newspapers is amazing!
That sounds great, I have lots of grape vines.
I am curious though, what do you mean by NON newspaper level.
Do you have a multi level farm?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/17/2012, 10:11 pm

I hope so too. My experience is very limited. You may want to check out redwormcomposting.com Loads of info there that might help you.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/23/2012, 1:22 pm

This is for anyone who is using white paper, like phone bills etc., for bedding. On the website, redwomcomposting.com the author of the site says about bedding; that long term exclusive use of bleached white paper for bedding, such as bills, can be harmful to worms. Since he has been worm composting for over 12 years, I thought it was useful information.
That's all I got for now - Have a great gardening/worming day.
LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 6/23/2012, 1:55 pm

AvaDGardner wrote:As someone suggested, I need a guinea pig would to keep up our greens. So would a compost pile, if I had a yard!

Our guinea pig gets a lot of our kitchen "waste" - and her bedding is compostable, so I just throw it into our compost bin. I have also used her bedding for the worm towers when we installed them in the SFG, but I don't think those are working out; so I'll be relocating the worms to worm bins, and will definitely be putting at least some of Stella's used bedding in with them. Stella will still have first dibs on the green stuff since it will make it to the worms eventually anyway. Wink
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/23/2012, 5:25 pm

@ Coelli ya know a Wiggler Hilton could be a fantastic addition to your compost material problems. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t997-wiggler-hilton

I don't think you can beat worm castings for your soil.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/23/2012, 6:43 pm

llama momma wrote:This is for anyone who is using white paper, like phone bills etc., for bedding. On the website, redwomcomposting.com the author of the site says about bedding; that long term exclusive use of bleached white paper for bedding, such as bills, can be harmful to worms. Since he has been worm composting for over 12 years, I thought it was useful information.
LM

aaack pale .....say it aaaannnt sooooo.....affraid

shredded bill's is what most of our worm bedding is made up of Shocked .....eeek.....What a Face

we just got another 200 worms last week Very Happy they all seem to be doing well.....need to find differnt bedding to keep them that way.....

hugs

rose.....who thanks LLM for the info! sunny
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/23/2012, 8:37 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:
llama momma wrote:This is for anyone who is using white paper, like phone bills etc., for bedding. On the website, redwomcomposting.com the author of the site says about bedding; that long term exclusive use of bleached white paper for bedding, such as bills, can be harmful to worms. Since he has been worm composting for over 12 years, I thought it was useful information.
LM

aaack pale .....say it aaaannnt sooooo.....affraid

shredded bill's is what most of our worm bedding is made up of Shocked .....eeek.....What a Face

we just got another 200 worms last week Very Happy they all seem to be doing well.....need to find differnt bedding to keep them that way.....

hugs

rose.....who thanks LLM for the info! sunny

Your welcome, I thought of you right away because of your prior post about using bills for bedding. Wish the website owner had more information like what kind of symptoms to look for or how long it took to affect the worms. In a pinch if you need newspapers a friend of mine once suggested to locate a public recycling bin that only takes newspapers. We won't call it dumpster diving, Ahem, but if you are stuck and need newspapers... What a Face p.s. congrats on the additional worms!!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/24/2012, 11:47 am

Hi Llamma mom
Thanks for that info

I have been using shredded paper from my office, but only small amounts
Think I will not.....Someone said it was made from cotton, so I thought good.... but bleach...bad

good point
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/2/2012, 5:49 pm

checking in on our worm families 1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 6 692681 how is everyone?....any harvesting yet?

we added some news paper to our bin.....i checked on them yesterday and even though i didnt see any worms in the new's paper.....i did see LOTS of worm casting mixed in......i dug down deeper lifting each side corner and seen nice fat moist worms moving about

i dont know how many worms are alive in there.....but the few i did see seem to be doing well......

there does seem to be a lot of nats....we layed some cardboard over the top of the news paper in hopes this will help to cut down on the nats.....yesterday when i lifted the lid off the bin....there were a lot of nats on top of the cardboard ....but under the cardboard there wasnt to many nats.....do the nats hurt the worms at all?

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/2/2012, 8:54 pm

My worms are doing well. Left them well fed when I went to my son's for a week. They still are not climbing into the upper bin which is where I feed now. I harvested enough castings to fill a sock for some compost tea about a month ago. Need to do it again.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/2/2012, 9:22 pm

GWN - your welcome!

Rose - re:gnats - my book doesn't say it will hurt worms. It says gnats come in on fruit peels and rinds. Try freezing those first. Also make sure the food is buried 1-2 inches below the bedding, I understand that to mean the moist bedding. Above that I keep a good 4 inches of dry bedding. The book says gnats need exposed food to lay eggs. I put all the food in a wet newspaper and loosely roll it up in a ball. Since I started doing that the gnats disappeared.

I haven't taken any castings yet. Completely got away from me.
Although I did get another 18 gal bin. I need to wash it out, prepare/age the bedding and start harvesting those castings. Thanks for the reminder!

Kay- Yay you got castings! What was your harvest method?

My worms are doing their thing, yesterday saw babies and saw 2 deceased so I'm watching to see if there is a problem developing or if it means nothing :scratch: I'm hoping its just natural circle of life.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/2/2012, 10:03 pm

Kay- Yay you got castings! What was your harvest method?

Rubber gloves and hand picking worms. Put the picked worms in the second layer to encourage the lower level to migrate. They still haven't.

Didn't need much so seemed the simple way.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 7/2/2012, 10:16 pm

Mine have only been in their bin for a week? Two weeks? I can't remember now - but it's the survivors that were rescued from the worm tubes, plus a bunch that I purchased. So far they seem VERY happy, none have tried to escape, and they're currently enjoying some nice moldy honeydew and avocado rinds. I'm defrosting more food for them right now. Yay worms!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/11/2012, 8:56 pm

I have a question about the worms and the heat. It is 90 degrees here now and that is about as hot as it gets here
I have them outside behind a concrete wall that does not get any direct sun.
Will that be too hot?
They are in the worm farm hilton.... the layered worm farm thanks
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/12/2012, 12:41 am

It sounds pretty warm and I hope someone comes along soon to help. My experience is an indoor bin.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 24 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next