Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
compost not heating Toplef10compost not heating 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

compost not heating I22gcj10compost not heating 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
compost not heating Toplef10compost not heating 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

compost not heating I22gcj10compost not heating 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

compost not heating

+18
LeeAnne12
graficow
Furbalsmom
AZDYJ2K
curio
dsfin
yolos
tomperrin
floyd1440
Kelejan
JK
Boz
GWN
Cincinnati
llama momma
camprn
plantoid
1airdoc
22 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

compost not heating Empty compost not heating

Post  1airdoc 2/16/2012, 4:27 pm

I built a 2-bin compost pile with pallets last spring, and have been using it regularly ever since. The composter is on the edge of the yard out of the way, beneath some large spreading oaks, and gets little sun. I put in chopped up dried leaves, kitchen waste, garden waste, etc. By the fall, I had some good compost to add to the SFG. Over the winter, I've continued to add kitchen waste (not many new leaves to add since raking last fall). I have no source of manure, but have put in a bag of composted cow manure and worm castings over time. I turn the pile about every 2 weeks, and particularly since the fall, it has been plenty moist.

The compost never seems to heat up, however. I tried adding in some blood meal for additional nitrogen, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I know that some of the seeds from the kitchen waste survive, because they sprouted in the SFG after I mixed in compost last fall. I jealously read of other posters' steaming hot compost, but mine is always cold, even last summer it didn't seem to heat up.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to make this better? I've read the other posts that suggest sun shouldn't be the issue, so I'm looking for other answers. I do find some worms in there, though, so maybe this isn't an issue. I just don't know and am looking for experience out there in the cybergarden.
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

compost not heating Empty Re: compost not heating

Post  plantoid 2/16/2012, 6:06 pm

To get heat you need something for the bacteria to feed on & a fair amount of it.

Try getting some straw ( not hay ) , wet it well turn it once a week for three weeks keeping it damp and covered with a plastic sheet and then add ingredient " X " ,

Ingredient "X " is your own Pee diluted with 20 parts of water . A couple of pints of Pee diluted to make 42 pints of nectar Wink will help break down the cellulouse in the straw and provide food for the bacteria which will then start heating up turn it once every three weeks and dampen down again with " X " as you re make the pile . A watering can with the rose spray head on it is fine.

Are you sure no one in your area keeps birds , livestock or pet rabbits, hamsters or gerbils ... for their droppings will have a shed load of useful bacteria to get things going.

The contents of a gerbil tank with two gerbils in it after a month or more will be soaked in pee and loaded with excrement & be excelent for the purpose.

I suspect that the pre packed composted manure or even plain manure will be a finished product with little chance for further bacterial action in the " finished " contents
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/16/2012, 6:26 pm

So I can tell you what I do in the spring...This year I have a I have a huge (4'x4'x8') pile from late fall and winter it has chopped up leaves and late grass clipping from last summer and all the kitchen waste from the winter. I do an open bin compost pile, pallets on 3 sides, 4th side open so I can work the pile.

When it gets warm enough and the stuff in the winter pile is mostly thawed out I build a new spring pile.
this is last years pile without all the leaves.
compost not heating Winter10

I pound some stakes into the ground in the open bin
compost not heating Prep_c10
From the winter pile I turn a layer into the new bin that is about 4 inches thick. I sprinkle on about 1/2- 3/4 cup dried blood and spray a LITTLE BIT of water over it. If I have some fresh or semi fresh manure, I will add a 2 inch layer of that. Then I add from the winter pile a 4-6" layer, sprinkle dried blood/ manure layer, add a sprinkle of water and so on until the whole pile is turned into the new bin. I water the top a LITTLE BIT and let it rest a day or two, then I take out the stakes, creating wee chimneys in the pile.
compost not heating 12510
The pile on the right is a few weeks old and still has a few stakes left. This is clearly an active hot pile. What looks like ashes is actually mold and microbe action.
The essential elements of successful composting is good proportions of carbon (browns) nitrogen(greens or manure or dried blood), water (not too much), and air (O2).

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

compost not heating WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/16/2012, 7:51 pm

I've been trying to remember a certain method that would perhaps help you sort things out .

One that's not too technical but one that covers your problem .

Eventually the penny dropped , here is a link to it .

http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 2/18/2012, 12:06 pm

Great link, plantoid; thanks. I called around today and found a stable that was happy to let me drive up and shovel up as much manure as my light truck could carry. It was already steaming and ashy-looking beneath the surface material, so it must be good enough to heat up my pile. I'm going to follow the hot composting instructions on the permaculture website, and hopefully I'll have some mature compost in a couple of weeks. My cold compost is nearly complete already, so the manure should help make it "just right."
1airdoc
1airdoc

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/18/2012, 12:20 pm

And if you can't find manure and you want to fire things up in a hurry, you might consider spending $10 on a a 50 pound bag of feed intended for goats, poultry, or rabbits. You can also use really cheap dog food, check the label to be sure of a totally vegetable formula, in either case you want protein content to be around 16 percent. You might be able to get this in 25 lb. bags too. You will need about 15 pounds of one of those feeds to quickly heat up a cubic yard of compost into the 140 degree range. This came from a book, The Complete Compost Gardening Guide.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 2/19/2012, 8:09 am

Llama Mamma, Thanks for the tip on vegetable based rabbit food for compost starter. I used a compost starter that came with my composter. In a few days I had a pile so hot I couldn't comfortably keep my hand in it. One problem: that stuff has made my compost "Premium compost" because the starter runs about $12/lb on sale.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/19/2012, 8:22 am

Glad to help out!
$12 on sale for a one time use.... or $10 and use 3 times. I suppose the catch is instead of one pound to bring home you'd have to haul 50 pounds and measure it out. But us sf gardeners are not immune to just a little work anyway Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 2/19/2012, 10:24 am

I get 2 batches (4-5 wheelbarrow loads) from a 1# box of compost starter. How many pounds of rabbit food do you use in a pile (and what size pile)?
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/19/2012, 10:35 am

Cinci--

Book said to use about 15 pounds of rabbit feed in an average home pile that would be equal to roughly 60 forkfull lifts, or a pile about 12cu.ft. Be sure to turn over compost two days later as it gets really hot in 48 hours, according to the book.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/19/2012, 10:45 am

What about those wood pellets for pellet stoves?
WOuld they work, I just have NO carbon...
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/19/2012, 10:52 am

What are they made of ? You are looking for a high nitrogen source if you want to heat things up fast.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/19/2012, 11:16 am

whoops.... I guess I was thinking of the carbon part....

I just would love to have a hot compost pile, but I have lots and lots of veggies etc ... greens, but no source of carbon, and I wondered if those wood pellets would suffice in the compost pile, sort of like wood shavings etc
We have lots and lots of sawdust here, building a house but everything has either stain on it or paint or is particle board, or treated.... so no good for compost.

I guess I am going to perhaps head into the woods and collect leaves.....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 2/20/2012, 12:29 pm

I have read that wood, sawdust, etc. (what I suppose those pellets are made of) will suck up the useable nitrogen in the compost as they decompose. I'm pretty sure that happened with my MM last year, which had some store-bought "compost" with too much bark and wood chips in it. My soil analysis of the MM at the end of the season showed it to be great with everything except nitrogen.
1airdoc
1airdoc

Back to top Go down

compost not heating Empty carbon source

Post  Boz 2/20/2012, 1:18 pm

GWN
If you need more carbon you can use shredded newspaper it gives you 175:1 C:N
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/20/2012, 1:52 pm

If I have a 'cold' pile that hasnt really done much can I start a new pile layering the old stuff with horse manure to try and and turn it into a 'hot' pile? Or do I need to leave it and use the manure with a fresh batch of browns?

Old pile is mostly leaves and pine straw with as much coffee grounds and home veggie scraps as I could manage.
JK

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 2:44 pm

If you look at my post, four posts ago on this thread there is a description of what you can try!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/20/2012, 2:49 pm

Oh.. I thought that the feed was to use when you didnt have manure? Maybe I'm getting different things confused. compost not heating 601593
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 2:52 pm

Actually you are certainly on the right track. If you didn't have a source of Nitrogen like manure, grass, or green plants, you can use the nitrogen source thats in the animal feeds I talked about in the other post. I thought it was a pretty cool trick. Cool

Last edited by llama momma on 2/20/2012, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling, duh.....)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/20/2012, 2:58 pm

Oh, good. I was worried I had made a wrong turn in my brain somewhere... wouldnt be the first. Rolling Eyes

My question is can I take all the stuff in the old 'cold' pile and build a new pile using it and the manure to make a successful hot pile? Or should I leave the old stuff where it is and start a hot pile from scratch?
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/20/2012, 3:04 pm

go ahead and layer it in! it will be a good thing! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

compost not heating WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/20/2012, 3:06 pm

Awesome! compost not heating 109486
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 3:13 pm

Here is what I would do, but I hope someone else will post with another opinion too!
I would go to the bottom of your old cold pile and dig out finished looking stuff and put it aside for use. And put together your new pile with the old unfinished stuff plus your manure. You have to decide yourself about your pile. Attention to the size of your pile is real important. Remember that you are looking to make the pile between 3ft by 3ft by 3ft and 4ft by 4ft by 4ft. This is the best size to get optimum cooking action going. And for lots more info if you want to look at the really neat book on composting I use, from the library or your favorite bookstore, it is called The Complete Compost Gardening Guide, by Barbara Pleasant and Deborah Martin.
I hope I've helped!!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 3:13 pm

oops ok Camp did -- Great!!!!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/20/2012, 3:25 pm

Yep, Thanks to you both camp and llama.

When I dig out the old I will check but just from turning it I dont think there is really anything finished. Old pile was probably 2 x 2 or so? It had more room than that, just didnt have the stuff to put in it. Now that I have manure I will add more leaves and what not to bulk it up. I have about 200 free 3/4" x 32" untreated boards that im going to use to build a new pile. Whatever doesnt get used goes to camp for firewood lol. Im somewhat design challenged so im still thinking of the best way to build it given the size of the boards...compost not heating 27650
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next