Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Toplef10Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? I22gcj10Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Toplef10Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? I22gcj10Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by donnainzone5 10/2/2024, 6:09 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/1/2024, 5:35 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 10/1/2024, 12:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/22/2024, 11:24 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cha-cha-cha-chia Anyone grow chia?

+6
miinva
Mamachibi
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
newstart
sfg4uKim
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Empty Cha-cha-cha-chia Anyone grow chia?

Post  sfg4uKim 12/27/2011, 6:39 pm

Recently I've added chia seeds to my diet and decided to throw some of them onto some "Mel's Mix" to see what happens. I understand the sprouts are delicious.

My question is . . . has anyone here grown them? If so, do you have any hints for me? I'm mostly interested in the sprouts, but have you let them go to seed?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2053

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Empty Re: Cha-cha-cha-chia Anyone grow chia?

Post  newstart 12/27/2011, 7:39 pm

hmm would lov eto hear more about it. Ho ware you using them in your diet. I have tried a few things but cant get it right
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 331

Back to top Go down

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Empty Re: Cha-cha-cha-chia Anyone grow chia?

Post  sfg4uKim 12/27/2011, 8:31 pm

I use them in a few ways:

Adding them to juice & letting it sit overnight. Or grinding the seeds and adding to juice if I forget. I kinda like the second way better as it's not as "seedy" (well duh!) but they don't need to be ground like flax seed does. When you let them sit overnight in juice, they are more "gelatenous". Drinking half-set jello with tiny seeds doesn't bother me, but many would be turned off by it.

I also grind them and put them into my yogurt or oatmeal, etc. I just saw a recipe today for muffins.

Chia seeds are packed with protein, fiber and Omega 3s.

The daily serving size is 1-3 Tablespoons (start with the smaller amount & increase if you want).

I'm not sure if the sprouts contain the same nutrient values - need to research it some more, but I'd like to add it to salads and sandwiches.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 12/28/2011, 4:32 pm

will give it a try again. Maybe I was doing it right, they would feel like really wets seedy things. Well I can try grinding them and adding to thing thanks..
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 331

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/28/2011, 8:07 pm

Never used one, but funny you should mention it. I looked all over for the ObamaChia this year. I wanted to give it to my mom as a gag. She is such a devout Republican I just wanted to see her face when she opened an Obama Chia Pet for Christmas.

That would have been priceless.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2710

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/29/2011, 6:48 am

It's on sale for $16.99 at drugstore.com.

Would make a lovely Iowa Caucus present.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/29/2011, 8:41 am

Shocked

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/29/2011, 1:27 pm

Well, yes, you COULD eat a Chia Pet. I'm just not sure if they use any chemicals.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 12/29/2011, 6:43 pm

The chia pets are made of unfinished clay pottery so they absorb water. The only chemicals in them would be the chemicals already in the clay used and the water you water it with. (No lead from paint, for example, unless you get a painted variety)
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/29/2011, 6:45 pm

I was thinking what chemicals may be in the seeds themselves.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 12/30/2011, 1:38 am

My parents are big on eating chia and keep sending me bags of it. Thank you for the kick in the pants to do something with it. Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 776

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/30/2011, 2:31 pm

Actually chia seeds are supposed to LOWER blood pressure AND cholesterol.

Speaking for myself, I've been taken OFF my BP meds since adding chia. Will let you know about the cholesterol in a couple weeks.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/30/2011, 2:51 pm

I think I see what you are referring to.

Yes, if you are on BP meds, your BP could drop dangerously low. When I noticed my BP going down, I just talked with my doctor. She was THRILLED to be able to take me off a med!

The article I read said reads, "People who are suffering with heart problems may want to avoid these seeds as it has addictive
effects on its users." I just don't understand what they mean. Why would "addiction" affect whether or not a heart patient uses it? I guess that would be something to talk to an MD about. Personally I've been on quite a few meds that are known to be "addictive" and have never had problems with it. SOOOO perhaps those who DO have problems with addiction to meds might want to avoid it.

They also mentioned people on B17 supplements and those taking blood thinning meds. Again, my thought is, if your B17 goes wacky, get off the supplement not necessarily the chia and talk to your MD about the blood thinner. Again, my doctor stopped my baby aspirin regimen because of this.

I love having a doctor who is open to alternative/natural treatments and encourages me to get off of medications! She is also pleased with my blood sugar results since starting chia - I was pushing a pre-diabetic state, but no anymore.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 12/30/2011, 4:25 pm

Organically grown chia seeds are a waste of money. Chia plants are not sprayed with pesticides and are not bothered by competing plants.

Chia gel is one of my favorite ways to eat them! I soak a couple tablespoons of chia seeds in a liquid (I like kombucha with a little fruit juice added) overnight. The seeds thicken the liquid a little. YUM!

They're great for weight loss because they have insoluble fiber which gives you a "full" feeling. They also slow sugars in food from entering the bloodstream, so some chia gel before a high carb snack doesn't give quite the carb-crash. That insoluble fiber also feeds the good bacteria in your body, which enhances your ability to digest and strengthens the immune system.

Really, what more could you want from a seed that tiny?
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/30/2011, 4:41 pm

LOL I love that this has been a lively thread, but it seems like no one has had experience GROWING them which is why I started it.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/30/2011, 6:18 pm

I have not grown them nor used them. I found this article but there does not seem to be any citation or reference of the information. Chia seed nutrition info

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 12/30/2011, 6:22 pm

From what I understand, they are weedy-like things. They're in the mint family, so unless you devote a chunk of garden for-like-ever I imagine they'd be better in pots.

http://www.gardenguides.com/taxonomy/chia-salvia-columbariae/
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/30/2011, 7:41 pm

Great info!

I'm actually growing them in a plastic shoe box indoors.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Empty Not lovin' the taste of the sprouts

Post  sfg4uKim 1/19/2012, 8:24 pm

Well I've got to admit that I'm not really lovin' the taste of the chia sprouts - even when they were really young. Now that they're getting bigger they are getting even more bitter tasting.

SOOOO I'm hoping that I will be able to harvest the seeds.

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Img_0217

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/19/2012, 8:30 pm

BTW you can certainly see that they are members of the mint family as was mentioned before.

AND as promised, info about my cholesterol. Since adding chia my total cholesterol dropped below 200 for the first time in FOREVER. From 235 to 190!

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/19/2012, 10:02 pm

WoW! Does it grow incredibly fast? I sprout fenugreek and it's a tad bitter. I have actually acquired a taste for it. It's one of those sprouts that is less better like chia I'm guessing, when its really young. However, I have found I like it a tad bitter. I mix it with other greens and it balances out nicely Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? 3170584802

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4299

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford 1/19/2012, 10:33 pm

So I can grow an Obamachia and cut his hair and eat it? Hehehe

Here is my thought about growing them has anyone tried the soiless medium they sell at those light grow stores. They have coconut and some kind of white kind that looks like cotton. Just a thought
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/20/2012, 7:06 am

jhayford wrote:So I can grow an Obamachia and cut his hair and eat it? Hehehe

Here is my thought about growing them has anyone tried the soiless medium they sell at those light grow stores. They have coconut and some kind of white kind that looks like cotton. Just a thought
I have not tried this, but Mel's Mix is a soil less growing medium,... but you all already knew that, lol Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/20/2012, 7:41 am

Yes, you can use grow pads for some sprouts and greens. All the sprouts I'm doing right now though can simply be done in a jar with a lid capable of draining liquids. I do want to try my hand at some micro and mesclun greens though and will be using these pads.
Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? 3170584802

Cha-cha-cha-chia  Anyone grow chia? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4299

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 3/29/2013, 10:41 pm

Hoping to ressurect an old thread here....

Kim, I would love to know how the chia worked out for you? Were you able to harvest any seeds? Did they do ok in our region?

I just learned about them, and I'm super excited to get some to add to my newfound green smoothie obsession Smile Even better if I can grow some myelf!

Andrea13
Andrea13

Female Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next