Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s Toplef10Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s I22gcj10Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s Toplef10Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s I22gcj10Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s

+4
walshevak
shannon1
Chopper
AngelaNC
8 posters

Go down

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s Empty Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s

Post  AngelaNC 3/5/2012, 12:47 am

Hi,

-I have been lurking and learning tons in this terrific forum! Too much maybe as it is addicting. I have a copy of ANSFG. I am trying to hurry up and get my boxes set up, because I feel like I am behind. I have my vermiculite, peat moss, and three kinds of compost. I know where I can get 1 more kind. What should I do if I cannot find the fifth? I have mushroom, cow, and forest products ( with no peat listed) and I found out where I can get chicken.
-I plan to get worms for my bed and a bin. Any suggestions for how many?
-I am ordering a small two chamber composter. I scored a clearance composite box that is 4x8x6 and by 12 with a 4x4 green house cover and drip irrigation system included. I am considering making it 4x12x6. I didn't get it put together because it has rained like crazy the last two days here.
-I had fresh eggs for the first time a couple of weeks ago and now I am hooked!! I am considering getting a couple of easter eggers. Nothing like doing it all at once
-I hope to 'meet' some others in my area.

thanks,
Angela
AngelaNC
AngelaNC

Back to top Go down

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s Empty Re: Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s

Post  Chopper 3/5/2012, 1:03 am

Welcome Angela. I do not know that I can answer any question but I understand about the eggs. Vary tempting. Need to find a place with no neighbors or more rural.

Not sure about worms. If they are happy, they will multiply and if you are doing this right on the ground they will find you too.

Good luck.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s Empty Re: Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s

Post  shannon1 3/5/2012, 2:32 am

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s 396615 Worms, yes worms, If your boxes are on the ground I would not add red wigglers to your box as they are not native to north america and as Chopper has said "they will find you" the native guys. I know this from my old SFG that was on the ground. Now I have a table top garden and guess what? Red wigglers have magicaly appeared cyclops . Ok not magic I am sure there must have been some eggs in the worm castings I used as part of compost combo.

It sounds like you found some great deals. Looking for compost can be a bit of a challange but try freecycle, craigs list and your local agriculture extension office you may even run into some for free. Good luck andHi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s 3170584802 to your new garden.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/5/2012, 7:47 am

Where along the NC coast are you. If near Wilmington I can give you some contacts.

I garden in both the northern coast and the southern coast.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  bakermtb 3/5/2012, 9:21 am

You may be able to pick up some Black Kow or Black Hen(Lowes or other supplier). Check the contents before you buy. I live in MD and can't get it. I had to go to VA. to get some.
bakermtb
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/5/2012, 9:30 am

Worms -- you have several options.
--worm bin: you can buy composting worms in amounts of 500, 1,000, 2,000+ online, findworms.com or something similar to that name, will help you locate close sources, another source is where I purchased - Uncle Jim's worm farm.com In addition there are lots of resources online. Red wigglers are not native but they are suppose to be very productive. I just became a worm mom myself about a week ago. Have a plastic indoor bin.

-- or if you just want to corral the earthworms outside to add to your boxes you can try this -- https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t10588-corral-earthworms-for-your-garden

--if your boxes are all going on the ground the native worms should find your boxes, I found native worms within the first year. They either came up from the ground below and/or when I added backyard compost.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s Empty Welcome Angela

Post  CharlesB 3/5/2012, 10:18 am

Welcome Angela, look forward to hearing about your experiences.

As others have stated, if your beds are to be on the ground the native worms will find that nice loose soil in your SFG boxes and get to work without any more effort on your part.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/5/2012, 10:24 am

Depending on how close you are to the beaches and how sandy your soil is, you may not get many native worms. My son who lives on mostly sand doesn't. Even I don't get that many and I'm much further inland. Of course I'm using tabletops and he is using self wicking "pond" beds for the most part. But even in the flower beds, no or few worms. So I started a worm bin a few weeks ago. I bought 12 worms from the bait and tackle shop because I was impatient. They are now very fat. Then I bought a baggie full from Progressive Gardens in Wilmington (on Oleander). They are doing well also. I expect in 3 months I'll be able to top dress my gardens with small amounts of worm poop. My goal is to get 2 bins going.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Hi from a newbie in eastern NC full of ?'s Empty my old stomping grounds

Post  curio 3/5/2012, 11:54 am

I just have to mention here, that I was born in Wilmington and lived for several years as a child on Oleander Drive. (we were next to the MilJo drive in which is now most likely long gone. When we didn't live there, we lived with my grandparents at Carolina Beach... well, actually Wilmington Beach. My paternal grandparents lived and owned a restaurant at Wrightsville Beach for many years.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/5/2012, 12:19 pm

My grandmother had a cottage on 3rd street, Carolina Beach. My mother had a place on Canal Drive. My son now lives about 5 miles from Carolina Beach.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down