Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watermellon Giveaway Toplef10Watermellon Giveaway 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watermellon Giveaway I22gcj10Watermellon Giveaway 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watermellon Giveaway Toplef10Watermellon Giveaway 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watermellon Giveaway I22gcj10Watermellon Giveaway 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Watermellon Giveaway

+7
madnicmom
Lurach
littlesapphire
Mamachibi
Goosegirl
camprn
WardinWake
11 posters

Go down

Watermellon Giveaway Empty Watermellon Giveaway

Post  WardinWake 8/27/2011, 6:47 am

Howdy Folks: MY RANT FOR THE DAY.

We have had a wonderful SFG Watermelon harvest this year. Took a shopping basket full to work of 3 different varieties. Large red melons, large yellow melons and smaller round red ice box style melons. They were placed in the break room refers to chill. The first melon to be cut was a yellow flesh and yep, complaints abounded. Most would not even taste the melon. It was sweet and full watermelon taste. Just looked different. Oh well. Their loss. In years past we offered anyone who wanted grapes from our vines to come pick to their hearts content. I was told, "If you bring them in we will take them off your hands". What we did not eat ourselves we let the wild turkeys have. Americans are so spoiled they will not even come out and pick their own - FREE. Same story last year with when we had a bumper crop of pecans. We will make the same offer on pecans this year as some of the younger tress are putting on their first large crop. Times may be hard, but, not hard enough for some folks.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 934

Back to top Go down

Watermellon Giveaway Empty Re: Watermellon Giveaway

Post  camprn 8/27/2011, 6:54 am

Oh Man! Brings to mind the old saying, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I wish I was your neighbor! In any case, thank for sharing! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Watermellon Giveaway WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/27/2011, 7:49 am

WardinWake wrote:Howdy Folks: MY RANT FOR THE DAY.

We have had a wonderful SFG Watermelon harvest this year. Took a shopping basket full to work of 3 different varieties. Large red melons, large yellow melons and smaller round red ice box style melons. They were placed in the break room refers to chill. The first melon to be cut was a yellow flesh and yep, complaints abounded. Most would not even taste the melon. It was sweet and full watermelon taste. Just looked different. Oh well. Their loss. In years past we offered anyone who wanted grapes from our vines to come pick to their hearts content. I was told, "If you bring them in we will take them off your hands". What we did not eat ourselves we let the wild turkeys have. Americans are so spoiled they will not even come out and pick their own - FREE. Same story last year with when we had a bumper crop of pecans. We will make the same offer on pecans this year as some of the younger tress are putting on their first large crop. Times may be hard, but, not hard enough for some folks.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
I remember the first time I saw a yellow watermelon - I was a bit squeamish about trying it because it looked so different. BUT, I tried it because a friend gave it to me out of her garden. YUM!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 8/27/2011, 9:27 am

Oh man, I would LOVE a chance to glean. I don't have enough yard (or physical stamina) to grow as much food as my family of 8 eats, much less enough to preserve. I can't imagine someone turning down free food because they have to pick it themselves! :scratch:
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/27/2011, 11:24 am

Oh man! Half the fun for me is actually going out and picking the food! I'd be there just to help you pick, if you'd let me!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 825

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurach 8/27/2011, 12:22 pm

It's a real shame that many people are too set in their ways or lazy to take advantage of a friendly offer like yours. Now I'll admit that I think watermelons should be red inside, because that's all I knew growing up so it's familiar. That being said, I would certainly try them if I were in a situation where a friend/co-worker was offering to share.

Littlesapphire: I'm with you; harvesting is the best part. We took the kids to a pick-your-own blueberry farm in July, and we all had the best time!

~Lu
Lurach
Lurach

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 8/27/2011, 6:17 pm

Americans are spoiled, last year I told my neighbors to get all the tomatoes they could eat. Nobody came to get them and all they had to do was walk 35-100ft to my garden. Sad, just pitiful how some have become.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 562

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 8/27/2011, 9:01 pm

I have a client who has 8 large orange trees in her back yard and tells everyone she knows to come over sat/sun from about Dec-March to get as many oranges as they want. My hubby and I took her up on the offer and went to get some. She said we were the only ones who would come do it. Everyone else wanted her to pick and bring them to her! That's a lot of work! We went 3 times and always helped pick extras to help her out. It was well worth it for fresh orange juice!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/27/2011, 11:03 pm

A lot of Americans won't except anything for free. I had several folks that were starting a garden. I had way too many strawberry plants. They wanted me to dig and bring the plants to them. Duh, I now have strawberry plants in all the flower beds and around each of the tree beds . I put up jelly/jam and ate til I pretty much got sick of them this yr. We'll see if anyone wants them in the spring.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post  ajpriebe 8/28/2011, 10:18 am

I can't believe they wouldn't TRY the watermelon. That is my favorite way to try new things -- when there is minimal committment. I mean, I might not drop the $$ at the farmer's market for a yellow watermellon if I had never tried one. But, when samples abound, we make use of the opportunity to try new things.

I hear you with the lazy bit though. We had extra rasp. starts this year and NO ONE was willing to come get them. We would have helped dig them up, but we weren't going to do it all for them!

Amy
ajpriebe

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/28/2011, 2:20 pm

Ward and Mary and others. I completely agree with your rant. How can anybody expect a person to give them stuff free and Picked for them and delivered.

"Take them off your hands". I be da....d if I ever give them the time of day again.

A couple of yers ago I had the opportunity to get free walnuts just for picking them up off the ground. You bet I was there in a flash. I shared with the elderly lady and cracked and scooped out the walnuts for her. She was delighted, it had never happened to her before. I ended up with a year's supply of walnuts. All that omega-3 stuff. Lovely.

Sadly, she is no longer with us. Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/28/2011, 4:43 pm

I just went out this afternoon and picked the leavings of beans from a friend's huge garden - they have picked and canned and frozen and are POOPED! I got at least 3 gallons of beans to add to my 4 in the fridge already. We may have enough beans to last us all winter now! YIPPEE!!! I may even have enough to try making the Dilly Beans!

The only thing better than CHEAP is FREE! I just don't understand the laziness but it does abound all around us.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum