Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  Toplef10Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  I22gcj10Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  Toplef10Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  I22gcj10Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene

+15
Kelejan
Dunkinjean
Denese
sherryeo
FarmerValerie
shannon1
llama momma
boffer
jersh
littlesapphire
moswell
littlejo
BackyardBirdGardner
trukrebew
camprn
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  Empty Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene

Post  camprn 8/24/2011, 11:53 pm

So, NOAA severe weather forecast says that at 8pm on Sunday 8/28/11 the storm center will be above my garden. This I am not looking forward to. pale
Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  02551410

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  Empty Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene

Post  trukrebew 8/25/2011, 12:27 am

Actually, Camprn, when the center is over your SFG, you should be able to go out and harvest. That's the most calm part of the storm!

Not sure what I can do to protect my tomatoes and cukes. Just glad I put up my new trellis netting before now.

trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  Empty Re: Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/25/2011, 8:42 am

If there is a positive side, it is that Irene will weaken significantly and very much by the time she gets to NH. The wicked winds should calm down a bit. They kind of turn into rainstorms once they get more than about 50 miles inland....in most cases.

People inland should still be watching/planning, though, because this is not always the case. Sometimes, hurricanes hold together better....say 100 miles. But, the coasts always get the brunt. After the immediate coast or barrier islands, the storm starts losing punch fairly quickly.

And, it helps that the waters are a bit cooler the farther north it makes it before landfall. While she may be a Cat4 now, she will only be a Cat2 by the time she gets to NJ even if she never makes it over land.

Just be careful, you guys. It's still not something to mess with.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  Empty Hirricaine prep.

Post  littlejo 8/25/2011, 9:02 am

If this hurricaine gets near your garden, trellis and netting will not help. Just pray that it turns far east and stays out to sea!

All you can do is watch the weather reports, clean the yard of anything that can fly in the wind, and wait.

If Irene is definately coming close, and your garden plants are young, get some pots and transplant anything above ground to pots, move inside, then after the storm passes put back in the garden, if your dirt is still there! (the expensive Mel's mix could be put in garbage bags!)

At first it was coming in my backdoor and each report has moved it further east. but this am is the first report that said 'if it turns' It's scary for they don't know for sure.

My thoughts are with you'all!

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/25/2011, 9:13 am

I'm not really expecting much more than a lot of rain and maybe strong, but not hurricane force, winds here in NJ. But I'll definitely bring my container plants inside. I strengthened the trellis as much as I could yesterday. I guess maybe I could try harvesting a lot of the herbs and freezing them now, but I have a bad feeling I'm going to lose a lot of tomatoes before they ripen. Sad
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/25/2011, 9:15 am

Wow! I hope everyone's gardens are alright. From the talk of bad it's going to be, it surprised me to see that I won't be seeing any of it. Usually we get some rain at least when a hurricane passes by the coast, but my weather forecast looks clear!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/25/2011, 9:36 am

moswell wrote:I'm not really expecting much more than a lot of rain and maybe strong, but not hurricane force, winds here in NJ. But I'll definitely bring my container plants inside. I strengthened the trellis as much as I could yesterday. I guess maybe I could try harvesting a lot of the herbs and freezing them now, but I have a bad feeling I'm going to lose a lot of tomatoes before they ripen. Sad
I'm going to be taking a lot of fruit off the vines. They can fully ripen up on the porch. Very Happy Very Happy

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/25/2011, 10:22 am

Latest model runs have changed the track a bit. Irene hasn't turned north as early as originally thought. Not much of a change, but it dramatically affects where landfall will be and when.

Right now, it looks as though Irene will make it's first landfall very near Morhead City, NC, or Beaufort, NC. This is the southern most area of the Outer Banks if you want to look on a map.

If Irene is heading north, or just east of north, at that time, this landfall is significant enough to shred her up a bit and weaken the storm, sparing the mid-atlantic and northeast regions quite a bit. You will still get wind and rain, but nothing like I thought you were going to see just 24 hours ago.

The farther west Irene tracks before turning due north, the better off the mid-atlantic and northeast will be. However, the more Irene delays turning, the more we have to watch the Carolinas again.

Now, why the delay in turning north? Irene serves as a "blocker" to all the cold fronts and low pressure systems that usually just move across North America from west to east. Irene has created a traffic jam of sorts and the first cold front stretching from where the Ohio River meets the Mississippi River up through Lake Ontario is moving slower than expected. Irene will virtually bump up against the front and make her turn as both air masses start to collide. If the cold front speeds up, Irene turns north quicker. If the front stalls, Irene makes landfall further south than is predicted.

That's why there are such discrepencies in the forecasted track of Irene when we are talking a couple of days out. These "numbers" change every 12 hours and depend on the hurricane hunting aircraft as well as the satellites and computer models forecasting the speed of the cold front. If I may dork out a little deeper, what we are really dealing with is the perceived weight of the airmasses. Imagine the scale at which we are talking, though. We are talking about similar volumes of air (which we cannot see) that weigh so much that when they move their momentum carries force that collides into, and moves, other air masses.

Take into consideration two football players running at each other. One weighs 250 lbs. The other weighs 185 lbs. You would automatically think the heavier one wins, right? However, we have to also take into account the speed at which they move. Littler guys are usually faster. That equalizes things a bit. Now, imagine predicting the results of this collision using measuring devices dropped into the men's uniforms from the Goodyear Blimp and trying to predict the changes from there. This is essentially what the meteorologists are doing. If one of the football players slows down just a little bit (for example, he ran farther and is getting tired...among many factors we could never know that are affecting his current speed), all the equations need to be recalculated and a new forecast needs to be issued adjusting for the new information.

Now, do this on a MUCH larger scale in terms of square mileage. Maybe we can see how difficult this is, and why it's not an exact science...yet.

Thanks for letting me show my inner dork. Be safe, guys. A typical hurricane carries the energy of thousands of atomic bombs with it. I laugh when people actually think humankind can dramatically affect Mother Nature. We can do a little to her, but she can flick a finger and wipe us right off the planet whenever she chooses.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  jersh 8/25/2011, 11:16 am

I wish everyone the best of luck with this storm... The early models for this storm initially predicted that she would be impacting us here in FL, some models even showed her making it into the Gulf and turning into the west coast of Florida... That was enough encouragement for me to go out and get plywood to prepare window coverings for our house... Thankfully for us they were wrong, and the good news is that I'm now better prepared to protect our house when we have future storms threatening us.... We bought this house in November, it was a spec house that the developer of our subdivision built to close out the remaining lots... We did some wheeling and dealing to get some upgrades before we moved in, and it didn't even dawn on me then to ask for hurricane shutters, I'm sure they could have done it for much cheaper than me and it would have been rolled into the final sale price.... I priced out some 'real' hurricane shutters, holy cow were they expensive!
jersh

Male Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/25/2011, 1:58 pm

Thanks BBG - I'm more of a winter weather geek myself, so I appreciate the tropical weather geek perspective. Smile

I am a bit more concerned now than I was last night though. I forgot, after years of living in inland North Carolina, how much closer I am to the coast now. I grew up in central Delaware, which is protected for the most part from tropical storms by southern New Jersey, then I was living in Chapel Hill, which, with the occasional crappy exception, was spared hurricanes. But now I appear to be living about 30 miles from the coast line, so depending on the track the storm takes I guess I could get a decent amount of wind (I was always expecting the rain).

Guess I'll go out tonight and buy extra dog food, a little bottled water, and check on my candle and flashlight/battery supply.

Related to saving the garden, is there any point in trying to cover it with a tarp?
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/25/2011, 2:59 pm

If winds take houses, they will take tarps. You may get lucky if you anchor things really well.....or the storm's winds dodge you.

If the eye passes to your east, you get less wind. It's always the "front-right quadrant" we watch for the strongest wind field. If moving north, that would be the northeast quadrant and closest to the eyewall. That part looks to stay out to sea until the hurricane runs into the New York - Rhode Island areas. But, again, things look to be significantly weaker (meaning not 115 mph) by then.

Here is the recent run of the major models that I look at.....not much different than what Camprn posted, though.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109_model.html

The blue and yellow paths would be bad news for The Piedmont region and the Carolinas as a whole. The black, red, and white paths would be hell on wheels for the Outer Banks and possibly New England. By the time the blue or yellow paths make it to New England, the storm will be a remnant of itself and be carrying mostly rain with it and some isolated winds. Someone, though, will take Irene on the chin. Prayers with you all.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/25/2011, 4:05 pm

Just heard this song....thought it was fitting....

I hear hurricanes ablowin'
I know the end is comin' soon
I fear rivers overflowin'
I hear the voice of rage and ruin
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/25/2011, 4:44 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Just heard this song....thought it was fitting....

I cannot find my 'like' button. Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/25/2011, 4:58 pm

Oh man, they were my generation, yet here I sit trying to fit the words to this music! LOL

I hear the train a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend,
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when,

I think I should get back to music radio instead of talk radio Rolling Eyes
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/25/2011, 5:21 pm

boffer wrote:

Oh man, they were my generation, yet here I sit trying to fit the words to this music! LOL

Thats funny. Here's what got me -- How about the topic title today at 5:09pm.."Ground Cover(Crimson Clover) remember??

Crimson and Clo-o-ver

Over and O-o-ver..
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/25/2011, 5:31 pm

boffer wrote:

I too am a talk radio junkie. cheers

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/25/2011, 10:12 pm

Music radio still exists?

I listen to sports talk all day long now while out cutting grass because I'm sick of the same songs every hour. I remember a 6-hour drive my brother and I took to see our dad. It was the first time we didn't "have" to fly down there....because I could drive now. We heard Ice Ice Baby about 7 times that trip and I about swore off music radio then and there.

However, I can customize my own stuff on Pandora now. So, I'm blasting back to the stuff I liked that I rarely hear on the radio. Try never heard on the radio because I'm "too young." I swear I was born in the wrong generation.

Here's a few for you: The Hollies, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet (something other than Margaritaville), The Eagles, Little River Band, The Doobies, Fogerty, Garth, Willie, and Waylon......oh, and Linda Rondstat (whom a few Eagles played backup for on her self-titled album). My tastes run far and wide, but lately I'm on a huge Fogerty/CCR kick.

But, Crimson and Clover? The version I heard first was Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (also my 2nd cassette tape.....the first was Thriller...lol). So, it's kind of a ruined song for me...... Sad

Oh, and in other.....errr original news...... It looks like the models are running tight now in the landfalling path of Irene. Looks as though the Outer Banks will face the brunt of this storm. I was just there two years ago and would hate to see that area if Irene unleashes full fury on them. Beautiful place!

That ought to make things a little better for the Northeast. But, not a lot. You all will likely get whopped pretty good, too. Stay vigilant and be prepared.

Here is one of my favorite pictures of my kids at Bodie Island Lighthouse on the Outer Banks, NC. (The middle one is Matthew, our Weatherman Extrordinare)

Weekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  3854725478_439ae3635b_z
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/25/2011, 11:11 pm

Oh geez, talk about starting a trip down memory lane...MY BABY DOES THE HANKY PANKY!!!!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/26/2011, 2:25 am

Well it is 2:30AM here in St.Augustine FL and the hot wind is taking its toll on my garden but not a drop of rain yet. I checked the weather channel and it said our current conditions were "light rain" well let me tell you it is the lightest rain I have ever seenWeekend Weather: Hurricane Irene  889526 . No relief from the record setting drought, but at least no land fall of Irene either. I hope those folks up north are prepared I hope it weakens before it hits land.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/26/2011, 6:15 am

OK now it's 6:14AM Irene is almost directly off shore still not a drop of rain.Sad
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/26/2011, 7:58 am

BBG and Boffer how about The strangest oddball 45 rpm record? think I remember some of it...

"there coming to take me away, haha. To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away haha!!! "... omg the strange voice inflections, the weird marching boots beating, the maniacal laughing, what a unique and weird record that was! You flip over the record and it was the exact same recording, but recorded backwards. Here is some more....." I cleaned your house I cooked your food and this is how you pay me back for all those kind unselfish loving deeds, eh?" .... eewe its creepy!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/26/2011, 8:10 am

BBG -- Tommy James and the Shondell's did the original recording of Crimson and Clover and Napolian the IX did Their coming to take me Away. Both were from the 60's I believe, the original recordings are on youtube.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/26/2011, 8:49 am

llama momma wrote:BBG -- Tommy James and the Shondell's did the original recording of Crimson and Clover and Napolian the IX did Their coming to take me Away. Both were from the 60's I believe, the original recordings are on youtube.

Sure. I've heard it. I just got polluted by Joan Jett. First impressions can be everything good and bad. As for 45's, the only one I ever owned....wait for it.........wait for it..........Pac-Man Fever. Yes, my parents tried their best to force me into the 80s as a child, but alas, I was born in THEIR generation....not mine. I'm a partial hippie and definitely a disco nut. Is it normal to like Chuck Berry, Mo-Town, Niel Diamond, AND the BeeGees and Earth, Wind and Fire all about the same? Somehow I don't think so, but I do.

As for Irene's impending landfall, the latest suggests a Cat3 hitting about the original prediction (mine, not theirs...lol) of Morhead City/Beaufort, NC. Looks like conditions will go steadily downhill Friday evening and really get ugly around midnight onward. Don't really know what happens after that right now. It all depends on how much land the eye rolls over. The more, the better for the The Northeast.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/26/2011, 8:53 am

BBG, I knew that Don H and 1 or 2 others sang back up for her, the group was called The Stone Ponies. As for Fogerty/CCR my guess is you are still singing "Centerfield", I love that one, mostly because it has the crack of a WOODEN bat. Talk about getting old, 2 of the girls that helped me this summer with Kids College were singing the lyrics to Carrie Underwood's song, Next Time He Cheats, and they were messing up 1 line BIG TIME. I had to tell them she took a Louisville Slugger to both headlights, and they had NO idea what a Louisville Slugger was.

All of you in the path of this storm, keep us posted on how you are doing, you can share about your garden when it's all said and done, we just want to know YOU are okay.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/26/2011, 9:21 am

This video is for all of you who are still listening to AM Radio, even if they don't sing anymore, and those of you who are stuck in a Time Warp (yes, I've seen The Rockie Horror Picture Show). Sit back and listen to the greatest DJ that ever lived. RIP Wolfman Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2EqS6u8e8o&feature=related
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: