Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes Toplef10Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes I22gcj10Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes Toplef10Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes I22gcj10Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by OhioGardener Today at 3:54 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 3:04 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes

+3
littlejo
littlesapphire
westie42
7 posters

Go down

Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes Empty Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes

Post  westie42 8/8/2011, 1:47 am

I dont want to waste an abundance of okra and only have a canning soup recipe. Any favorite quick recipes or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes Empty Re: Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes

Post  littlesapphire 8/8/2011, 9:36 am

I honestly have never eaten okra or even seen it in the store up here. But I can tell you that I've heard people say that they love it raw or fried!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 825

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes Empty Re: Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes

Post  littlejo 8/8/2011, 8:14 pm

Gosh, I don't think raw would be good! It has hairs on it, and once you get it wet, it makes this slime, would be impossible to swallow.

I fry ours.

Rinse okra, but don't cut until ready to use.

Get pan ready using whatever oil you like, We use canola. About 1 inch to deep fry.

I use a 'complete' cornbread mix, Add this dry! (just add water(if you were making cornbread). put in a plastic bag.

A small bowl with some water in it.

Cut top and bottom from okra + discard.

Slice okra into 1/2 in. slices. Dip in water and put in bag with cb mix and shake up.

Continue til all okra is coated.

Heat oil to frying temp (test with 1 piece okra, should bubble good)

Shake off extra cb mix and put okra in pan 1 layer deep, stir to keep pieces separate, til golden brown, remove to paper towels. Keep frying til you get enough.

Eat.

I take any extra okra that is in the conrbread mix, and just put bag and all in the freezer. Then, when more fresh okra is available, I get out the bag and add extra to the bag. When ready to fry some later on, I just get the bag out and shake off any excess cb mix, and fry while still frozen, takes a little longer to fry but tastes like it just came from the garden.Just have to make sure there is enough cb mix in the bag.

I also do this for zucchini and eggplant. Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 8/8/2011, 9:00 pm

Pickled Okra is delicious! Help I need some quick and easy okra recipes 959632

4 - 4 1/2 lbs. small okra pods
garlic cloves
hot peppers
dill seed
1 qt. white vinegar
1 c. water
1/2 c. pickling salt

Wash okra well. Drain. Pack hot sterilized pint jars firmly with
okra, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Add 1 teaspoon dill seed, 1 clove garlic and 1 hot pepper into each jar. Combine vinegar, water, and salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil and pour over okra. Screw metal bands on tightly. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Let pickles stand at least 5 weeks before opening. This is the hot version. If you don't want it that hot, just cut the peppers in half, or just don't put peppers at all if you don't want any heat.

This makes approximately 7 pints.
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/8/2011, 10:55 pm

Those sound perfect for my taste. Thanks much LittleJo and Denese.
westie42

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/10/2011, 10:44 am

A PM suggested freezing them. I will do that just to keep them until October when I can my annual fall garden clean up herbed vegetable soup. Otherwise I would prefer to find recipes for using it fresh. Littlesapphire I am up here too but you haven’t lived until you have enjoyed some good southern fried or cooked okra dishes with fresh buttered corn bread and biscuits.
westie42

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 8/11/2011, 12:45 am

A coworker recently told me to cut up a good batch of okra just like for fried, but not to coat it with anything. Then you stir fry in a couple of teaspoons of oil. You have to keep the okra moving constantly so it won't burn. Its ready when the color changes to dark green and its crispy tender. It was like popcorn.. I couldn't stop eating it !!! I consoled myself ( as I looked at the empty bowl) with the knowledge that with only a couple teaspoons of oil for the whole batch and no breading, it was a very healthy vegetable dish !! Very Happy
sceleste54

Female Posts : 382

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 8/11/2011, 9:52 pm

This is similar to the last post, with maybe a little less effort.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with foil. Cut the stem off close to the pod and discard. Cut the okra pod into 1/2 inch rounds. Place in the foil-lined pan. Drizzle with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (or other favorite seasoning). Toss the okra pieces to coat, then spread to a single layer. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning halfway through.

Enjoy Very Happy !
Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  HPartin 8/12/2011, 3:52 am

I love okra this way: Bring a pot of water to boil. When you have a rolling boil carefully slide young, tender okra in (the whole pod). Boil for 3 minutes. Strain and serve immediately. If okra is slimy, you cooked it too long but 3 minutes should be perfect.

When you eat it, just cut the end off and enjoy.

Heidi
HPartin

Female Posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/14/2011, 9:23 am

Celeste, Jane and Heidi thanks much for adding your okra recipes to my collection of go to recipes. Surely they will help many others too, thats the real beauty of this forum.
westie42

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down