Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What can I still plant by seed for summer? Toplef10What can I still plant by seed for summer? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What can I still plant by seed for summer? I22gcj10What can I still plant by seed for summer? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What can I still plant by seed for summer? Toplef10What can I still plant by seed for summer? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What can I still plant by seed for summer? I22gcj10What can I still plant by seed for summer? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What can I still plant by seed for summer?

4 posters

Go down

What can I still plant by seed for summer? Empty What can I still plant by seed for summer?

Post  jymarino 6/16/2011, 10:24 am

I have a couple of spots open from lettuce and spinach and would rather start with seeds rather than transplants this time. I know I can do carrots or some hardy lettuce, but what else can I start this late? Is it too late to start squash from seed? I do have an area in the yard that is non-SFG that we'll be putting some pumpkins and maybe very small watermelon, but I don't want to use the space for something that large. Thanks for the input!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

What can I still plant by seed for summer? Empty Re: What can I still plant by seed for summer?

Post  westie42 6/16/2011, 10:39 am

In my area summer squash is still an option but not the longer growing season winter squash. There are other spinach besides Bloomsdale that are hot weather types. I could sneak in another radish crop yet now but definitely will later. Onions from seeds but the outcome and use would have to be decided later. I just put in 3 types of choi and some cress.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

What can I still plant by seed for summer? Empty Re: What can I still plant by seed for summer?

Post  lzalvis 6/27/2011, 9:26 pm

I loooooove bush green beans!! I"m in zone 7, and I can plant seeds until the middle of July! 9 plants per sf!!
lzalvis

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/27/2011, 9:34 pm

Swiss chard is the "summer spinach." It grows fine at any time. Bush beans are great. But, you can also toss some things in there you don't expect to do well to rotate nutrients through for what you actually want there in the fall, too.

I don't like chard much, so I am using my seeds to pretty things up with the neon stems and also to rotate things through for fall.

Here is something I just found for you:

Despite what many people think, July is definitely not too late to start planting vegetables. July is also a good month to put in a second (or third) sowing of certain crops, such as carrots. It is also the perfect time to start planning the fall vegetable garden -- fall will be here before you know it!
Below are lists, by U.S. region, of which vegetables and herbs you can plant in July. Unless specifically listed as "transplants" the items in this list can be direct-sown in your garden this month.

Northern U.S. and Southern Canada
Central U.S./Midwest

• Basil
  • Beans
  • Beets
  • Broccoli (Transplants)
  • Brussels sprouts (Transplants)
  • Cabbage (Transplants)
  • Carrots
  • Cauliflower (Transplants)
  • Cilantro
  • Cucumbers
  • Kale
  • Parsley
  • Radishes
  • Summer Squash
  • Swiss Chard
  • Turnips
  • Winter Squash
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/27/2011, 10:27 pm

Cool, thanks BBG! I was going to look up what I can still plant by seed so this is very helpful. My broccoli is still producing and I'm even getting a few snap beans still.

Do you know if I can still find transplants for broccoli in our area? I haven't been out looking lately and don't know how well growing my own seedlings at this point would work.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/27/2011, 11:13 pm

I would very much doubt you will find cool season transplants. Stores can't sell them to the traditional row gardeners...lol. They don't realize broccoli also does well, possibly better, in the fall.

You may still find some seed packets for cheap, though. And, it's a perfect time to start them indoors....in a couple weeks.

I have seeds. If you don't find any, we can arrange a nice "mail day" for you.

Btw, beans can be replanted again. Once your first batch goes, you still have all summer....until frost. Bush varieties will go again, and again, and again, if you simply change squares. I alternate mine with radishes or leaf lettuces in the summers.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/27/2011, 11:28 pm

So if I pull out my sugar snap peas they'll keep growing if I move them? I assume the plants that are dead as a doornail can't be replanted, but the one that is still going can be?

Where did you find the planting information? Every time I try to google it I get sites that tell me far different information.

I have to wonder how long my broccoli will go. It is still producing small shoots so I plan to just leave it until it dies. Maybe it will just keep going until October, but probably not.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down