Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? Toplef10Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? I22gcj10Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? Toplef10Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? I22gcj10Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it?

2 posters

Go down

Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? Empty Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it?

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 11/2/2023, 5:35 pm

Howdy folks!  happy hi 

So, as I head into my second summer with a vege garden, I'm sowing seeds for it in trays and looking ahead to the season as a whole.  Thinking back to my first summer one of the things that most stands out for me is the very disappointing results from direct sowed seeds.

My question to you all, is: just considering mid-summer sowings, how do you sow seeds?  Do you always start in trays and transplant (except for the ones which don't like to be moved)?  Or do you direct seed in the garden?  Or a mixture?  And, most importantly, why?

Last year, following the advice in both SFG books, I sowed directly into the garden except for the first lot of plants (at the time I started those, I didn't have a garden to put them in).

I've been raising from seed for more than 10 years (lettuces, to grow on my patio) so this is something I'm pretty good at.  Each time I sowed into the garden bed last summer I put seed raising mix into a little hole, tamped it down, watered it well, put the seed on top, and covered it lightly with more seed raising mix to the recommended depth.  Small sheet of cardboard over the square to prevent drying out, and checking every day.

However, my germination rates were terribly disappointing.  From memory way less than half of the direct sowed seeds actually germinated at all -- and the plants were nearly all very sickly, and in the cases of beets and chard, didn't do anything much at all.  I had one pea plant produce a single pod, from 16 seeds. Mad

No doubt my results are partly due to the bought compost which I had to use for my MM (this summer I'll have plenty of my own) and to the terrible growing season we had last summer, with even commercial growers having a real challenge.  But the compost isn't going to affect the germination rate.

With direct sowing, I appreciated not having to look after seed trays all through summer -- I don't have a shed, or greenhouse etc, so it is a bit of a pain having to move them outside/inside every day.  But I also want better results than I had last year!  Should I really be starting in trays all through summer?
thanks
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

Back to top Go down

Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? Empty Re: Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it?

Post  OhioGardener 11/2/2023, 6:30 pm

KiwiSFGnewbie wrote:My question to you all, is: just considering mid-summer sowings, how do you sow seeds?  Do you always start in trays and transplant (except for the ones which don't like to be moved)?  Or do you direct seed in the garden?  Or a mixture?  And, most importantly, why?

For me, it all depends on the type of seed/plant, the weather, and the time of the year. A mixture, I guess.

Some seedlings do not like to be transplanted, especially root crops, so I direct sow all of them. Examples are radishes, carrots, beets, beans, and peas.

Some seedlings do better if grown in a controlled environment until they are big enough to transplant into the beds. Those I start in trays on heat mats, with a humidity dome, under lights. Examples are things like the brassicas, Swiss Chard, cucumbers, squash, and melons.

Yet, for other seeds I do either, or both ways. For example, in early spring I will start lettuces, spinach, onions, and leeks, in cells for transplanting outside in the beds after the weather stabilizes. Then later, like early summer, I will start more seeds for succession planting by direct sowing in the bed.

Experiment, keep a log, and do what works best for you. One problem I have in early spring is sow bugs and slugs eating young seedlings as soon as they sprout. During those times I ensure that I put the Sluggo Plus down before the seeds sprout.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4532

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it? Empty Re: Mid-summer seed sowing, how do you do it?

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 11/2/2023, 8:04 pm

Wow, thank you as always for your comprehensive reply OG!  I'm seeing some more reasons why I had such disappointing results last summer.  (I forgot to mention that I spread Quash (our Sluggo) whenever I direct sow)  Guess I'm gonna have to look into improving my seed raising infrastructure!!
thanks
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down