Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Toplef10Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves I22gcj10Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Toplef10Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves I22gcj10Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves

+2
Barkie
halo826
6 posters

Go down

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Empty Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves

Post  halo826 6/13/2011, 10:20 am

I have searched high and low for a diagnosis to what is going on in my garden to no avail, so I thought I would start a new post to see if anybody can help me.
I am new to SFG and love it. Before my SFG discovery, I had planted my own raised bed with tomatoes and herbs. So, I planted one 4 x 4 SFG box and planted purple hull peas (cowpeas), Contender green beans, and Clemson spineless okra according to the book recommendations. Everything sprouted beautifully and is growing gangbusters. Almost immediately, I started noticing strange marks on my leaves, like trail marks or crop circles! They are kinda white and then rusty. (I would post a pic but I dont think I can since it is my first post). They are growing and seem to be thriving and this may just be cosmetic. I have researched leaf miners and cant get much in the way of a definitive critter or a solution. No pics I have seen look exactly like what I have. Also, I notice on several of my purple hull pea plants, ANTS. Clusters of them globbed up around the "joints" of the stems. When disturbed, they run back down the stem and into the dirt. I found lots of info here about using cinnamon and I did that this morning, but I dont think they are causing the trail marks.
Can anybody offer any suggestions on what is going on and what I can do about it, if anything should be done at all. I will try to post a picture later in the thread if I am able. I know what would help!
Thanks in advance.
halo826
halo826

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Empty Re: Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves

Post  Barkie 6/13/2011, 10:29 am

It sounds like leaf miners and I think you have a bunch of different little critters responsible for the crazy windy trails. It doesn't look fantastic but it doesn't seem to harm plants, they ignore it and carry on growing.

Welcome to the forum.Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves 396615

Barkie
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Empty Strange trail marks

Post  GloriaG 6/13/2011, 10:37 am

Here's a link to some information on leaf miners. http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/leafminer-control.html

Usually, they don't cause plants much damage, they're just unsightly.
If it's a really heavy infestation, there are some organic solutions you can try.

Good luck.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Empty Re: Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves

Post  halo826 6/13/2011, 11:53 am

Oooh! Thanks! Cant wait to check that out and am relieved to hear my problem is more cosmetic than anything.
halo826
halo826

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurach 6/13/2011, 12:44 pm

Hi halo826 and Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves 396615 to the forum!! =) I am not too far from you, at Ft Stewart. You've gotten some good info for your leafminer issue already, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone! My peppers and a few other veggies are tracked up pretty crazily as well. It doesn't seem to hurt them. I did read that you can pinch along the tracks to kill the critter inside. That's what I've done, and I haven't seen any new tracks lately.

Congrats on the success of your garden!

~Lu
Lurach
Lurach

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  halo826 6/13/2011, 12:52 pm

How funny! I was stalking around this morning at some other topics and old posts and saw you and thought, "Hey a real neighbor!" So glad you said hi!

I got a raised bed kit from Sams and planted tomatoes and herbs, first time for a garden, and then a friend turned me onto SFG. I was sold. I built a second bed and planted some other things. I wish I had 10 beds full of goodies. I have gotten several other people sold on the method, too. I will post some pics when I can and if I can figure it out. I have tried unsuccessfully so far. I will try again.

I am a Savannah transplant from Memphis. I love it here.

I am going to work on the leaf miner situation but as long as my plants will live through it, I will try not to obsess about them. I may try your pinching suggestion too.

Again, thanks for the welcome and I am sure we will be seeing each other here a lot! Holler anytime!

Denise
halo826
halo826

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/13/2011, 2:26 pm

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves 654548 Halo, so nice to have you join us. I have family in GA but they are closer to Rome.

As you have seen, this is a friendly group of people who are willing to help others when questions come up.
Please keep us updated on your SFG progress, and share pictures if you will

The following link is to our HOW TO post.

Hope this helps you share your pictures with us.

HOW TO POST PICTURES

Again, Welcome!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  halo826 6/13/2011, 2:37 pm

Thanks so much! I just LOVE my gardening so much and I know the non-gardening friends that I have not been able to convert are probably getting tired of my gardening obession! LOL! I have a Facebook page and I update garden pictures weekly and love getting the rave comments! I am thrilled you sent me the pic how to. I was at a loss about adding them. I will check it out when I am done working and get some posted! I have about a blue million pictures! I will pick a few faves.

As I said, I am a GA transplant from Memphis and I love it here. My boyfriend wants us to move to Washington state, your neck of the woods sort of. That is REALLY far from everything I know, so I am resistant. I would love to travel there and check it out though. He is a truck driver and I traveled with him a couple of summers ago and as far that way that I got was Idaho/Utah/Wyoming/Montana. I loved it those places and I am sure the PNW is gorgeous. I am a Southern Belle down to my roots so I am not sure how I would fare there! LOL.

Anyhoo.......thanks so much for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning a lot more and meeting more like minded folks!

Denise
halo826
halo826

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurach 6/13/2011, 5:01 pm

That's so funny; I was thinking the same thing when I saw your location! This is also my first time gardening, and I found SFG after I had built and planted my first bed. So my first one is definitely a "trial and error" bed. But I too love it and wish I had room for several more beds. And I'm from SC, transplanted to Ft Stewart by way of Schofield Barracks in HI. We'll have to see where we end up in 2 years when Hubby's time here is up. Rolling Eyes

Oh and I peeked at your profile and noticed you're a medical transcriptionist. I started MT school a couple of years ago, but wasn't able to complete the course at the time due to life stuff. I'm hoping to get back to it this fall.

Anyway, feel free to PM me with any newbie questions or concerns or just to chat. Maybe we can help each other through the first season learning curve. =)

~Lu
Lurach
Lurach

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/17/2011, 1:46 am

Welcome Halo,
Can't wait to see your pics. Glad to see there are so many near you.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  halo826 6/17/2011, 11:02 am

Got bombarded with work the last few days, thankfully! But, I have been away from here and missed a few comments. Thanks for the compliments. We finally got rain and I mean we got a frog strangler! It rained a ton and HARD. My gardens survived but I did not get my flowers in so they look a little worse for the wear. I will post some "before" pictures! Lu, I hope you got some of the rain. Been on hornworm patrol. I find several really small ones almost every day, but I hope I am keeping them in check before they get big and do big damage!

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Garden16

My Moss Roses! I just love these. They are so cheery!

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Garden17

My pride and joy, Red Gerber, yellow mounding petunias, and purple trailing petunias.

Strange trail marks in my pea, bean, and okra leaves Garden18

My moss roses along side my "pea patch"!
halo826
halo826

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down