Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 Toplef10Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 I22gcj10Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 Toplef10Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 I22gcj10Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday's Rookie Topic VI: SHALLOTS

+24
jimmy cee
yolos
boffer
RoOsTeR
cpl100
walshevak
michellentn
cheyannarach
lisaphoto
dixie
newstart
madnicmom
capatl
Kelejan
mtowne
Aub
FarmerValerie
moswell
sherryeo
camprn
quiltbea
Lavender Debs
shannon1
pattipan
28 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday's Rookie Topic VI: SHALLOTS

Post  Kelejan 7/11/2011, 6:07 pm

Just bought a couple of packets (10 each) of French Gourmet shallots.

Will these be last year's shallots and should they have been planted by now? Or do I wait for the fall planting so that they overwinter ready for spring? I don't want them to go bad by waiting too long. They look nice and firm right now.

I am in Southern British Columbia near the USA border. The West Kootenay.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday's Rookie Topic VI: SHALLOTS

Post  capatl 7/11/2011, 7:10 pm

I love shallots! I just found a packet of "Burpee Onion, long white bunching" and then it says 'scallion' in the upper left hand corner. This is a pack from school that we didn't end up using in the class garden. I just noticed that it says, "does not form bulbs." Anyone grown these before? I am going to plant them anyway, just found it odd that they won't have bulbs. Smile

Love the Rookie Topics! Thanks!
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 7/19/2011, 3:21 pm

I was going to overwinter some onions but now I'm convinced. Shallots it is! thank you!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/25/2011, 3:26 pm

Kelejan wrote:Just bought a couple of packets (10 each) of French Gourmet shallots.

Will these be last year's shallots and should they have been planted by now? Or do I wait for the fall planting so that they overwinter ready for spring? I don't want them to go bad by waiting too long. They look nice and firm right now.

I am in Southern British Columbia near the USA border. The West Kootenay.

Well, I'm quoting myself, lol.

I will be planting these today. Out of the 20 shallots I bought, I have 13 survivors.

Perhaps I did not store them correctly as some of them were soft or only an empty mess of dry brown layers.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 1/3/2012, 2:43 pm

we love shallots, its added to the list. I saw then last year at home depot but cant remember thier price. just have to wait forthem to come back around
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 1/3/2012, 3:42 pm

I didn't see the original post, but my grocery store shallots grew very well and multiplied. I replanted all of them, as I did most of my wonderful crop of garlic (partly from We Grow Garlic & grocery store).
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 1/3/2012, 7:23 pm

I was wondering If I could buy shallots and just plant them may try both to see how it works out
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 1/3/2012, 8:33 pm

newstart wrote:I was wondering If I could buy shallots and just plant them may try both to see how it works out

I bought some organic shallots at the supermarket this fall since I didn't have as many from my summer crop as I wanted to plant. They sprouted before the cold snap, so they can definitely work. I just think you need to get the organic ones that haven't been treated to prevent sprouting.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 1/3/2012, 8:42 pm

I have no idea if the bagged ones I got at Walmart grocery were organic or not (but I doubt it, they were not with their higher priced organic produce), but all of them sprouted and multiplied for me. Same as with the garlic. I chose the largest bulbs available, separated & planted them, again with excellent results. Good luck
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/3/2012, 9:21 pm

Dixie, did they daughter bulbs grow as large as the mother bulb?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 1/3/2012, 9:24 pm

some of them did
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 2/21/2012, 1:51 pm

Uggg, I just pulled up multiple bunches of shallots that escaped my harvest last year and made it through the winter. I need to redo my beds so I was pulling everything out. Now I'm thinking I should have at least waited until I was ready to move the bed, then maybe I could have replanted them instead of tossing them in the compost Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 926169
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/21/2012, 7:38 pm

lisaphoto wrote:Uggg, I just pulled up multiple bunches of shallots that escaped my harvest last year and made it through the winter. I need to redo my beds so I was pulling everything out. Now I'm thinking I should have at least waited until I was ready to move the bed, then maybe I could have replanted them instead of tossing them in the compost Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 926169
Oh Dear, I don't like it when that happens to me. Were the shallots soft and squishy and yucky? or were they firm? If they were firm, I would just replant them, when they come out of dormancy they will begin to grow. Very Happy

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/12/2012, 2:20 pm

I never thought I would be so excited to plant veggies in the fall. So far it's garlic, shallots, and potato onions. Any more winter veggies out there? Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  michellentn 5/15/2012, 5:50 pm

I would not have thought of growing shallots til I read this rookie topic. I will wait and try a fall/winter garden with them.

Thanks pattipan for the info.
michellentn
michellentn

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/18/2012, 5:03 pm

I don't think mine are ready yet.

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 Dscn0614

Needed some garlic for dinner and didn't want to drive to the store. Pulled up 1 garlic and it doesn't look too bad. Decided to see what the shallots looked like. Small. Can I save these little ones and replant in the fall?

This is what the bed looks like. Believe I have another month before all is ready.

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 Dscn0615

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/18/2012, 5:53 pm

walshevak wrote: Decided to see what the shallots looked like. Small. Can I save these little ones and replant in the fall?
Kay
i would replant it. What a Face

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/13/2012, 10:23 am

I love shallots in my cooking and read these posts with enthusiasm. A few questions:

Do these need to be protected from animals like squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs? Not sure if they would dig up the bulbs (thinking of the squirrels).

Am I correct that these would need to be planted in a place where I did not want to plant in the spring? It looks like they are being harvested in June or July from the pictures posted. I have only one 4 x 4 SFG box and am trying to use all my options rather than closing out any.

Honestly, my brain is spinning from trying to learn all of this.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/13/2012, 11:02 am

You can find lot's of previous topics on shallots using our search features.
Here's what I came up with on a quick search simply inputing "shallots":

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/search?search_keywords=shallots&typerecherche=interne&show_results=topics

Friday's Rookie Topic VI:  SHALLOTS - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/13/2012, 11:58 am

Thank you for taking the time to search and post that information. I actually have been reading the forums and searches extensively. Sometimes I still am unable to find an answer to a question after reading for several hours. For example, I am still trying to learn whether the crops of garlic and shallots must be planted in the fall in a spot that will not be used in the spring. It seems like they will not be harvested in time but I am not positive.

Sometimes I get bogged down with trying to figure out where people get all these things that are used. For example, mulching with hay on top of the above mentioned items. I live in a suburb of a large city...where on earth does one get hay?

Other times I believe I have done sufficient reading to start something and then find out I missed something important. Case in point: I am doing a couple pots with bush cucumbers. I made one pot with organic soil in the bottom and Mel's mix on the top. Great. I started the second one and remembered that grass is good for your compost so it must be good in the pot. Got some and put it in the bottom (with some leaves which I had read could be used at the bottom). I then put some organic soil and left enough room to add 6" of MM today when I could make some more. Today I read that one should not use their grass clippings if the grass is treated for weeds. Luckily I had not put in the MM prior to reading it today. So, I went out and took out as many of the grass clippings as I could.

I must admit to being frustrated and somewhat discouraged.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/13/2012, 12:16 pm

CPL, here in the North East garlic goes into the garden in the fall, late October, early November. I plant my shallot bulbs in the spring and I am planning to put a few more this weekend. I have doubts that they would survive our deep freezes otherwise I would plant them in the fall. Maybe down near the coast where you are the shallot will over winter ok.

You never want to mulch with hay. Hay has seeds that will become weeds in your garden.
If you want straw mulch (no weed seeds) you can get it at Agway in Chelmsford, Danvers or Waltham. Any of your local Mom and Pop nursery/ garden places may have it as well. Forget about the big box stores for that.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/13/2012, 12:30 pm

Not really on the coast (but closer to it than you are) so I would go with your gut feeling. So, I will not worry about shallots until spring. Could I plant garlic and then put the shallots in after I take the garlic out? Or must I leave another space for them because their growing time conflicts? When you say 'Spring' you mean Spring weather and not the first day of Spring, correct? Conversely, if I put some shallots in now, would they be out of the space in time to put garlic? These are things that are bogging down my mind and which I am finding hard to determine the answers even with extensive reading on the board.

Prior to finding SFG I had read that people actually plant garlic in a child's 6" plastic swimming pool! Not sure if that works here or not with the freezing weather you and I get.

When I initially searched for Agways (on their site) one did not come up for Waltham and I drove all the way to Chelmsford (where they said on the phone they had coarse vermiculite and did not). Waltham is a better location for me. Thanks.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/13/2012, 12:36 pm

Most of us are harvesting our fall planted garlic in June and July. I'm not familiar with shallot growing.

'Spring' generally means the first planting of the year for cool crops in climates with 4 seasons.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/13/2012, 12:37 pm

cpl100 wrote:Not really on the coast (but closer to it than you are) so I would go with your gut feeling. So, I will not worry about shallots until spring. Could I plant garlic and then put the shallots in after I take the garlic out?
you will want to plant shallots as soon as the soil can be worked, some years that is in March or April. You garlic will not be ready for harvest until about July, so plan on using another space for planting shallots.

cpl100 wrote:Conversely, if I put some shallots in now, would they be out of the space in time to put garlic?

They should be. Do not plant them deeply, you should be able to see the top 1/3 of the shallot bulb.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/29/2012, 8:21 am

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/5252/how-to-grow-shallots/page/all

I found me a pound of grays. Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next