Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies

+8
rschack
walshevak
Pepper
givvmistamps
cheyannarach
les1727
RoOsTeR
Furbalsmom
12 posters

Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Empty Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies

Post  Furbalsmom 4/2/2012, 12:20 pm

The rules for when to harvest depend on what vegetables you're growing. For leaves, stems and some root crops, you want to pick them early - while they're still at their most tender state. Ever eat woody asparagus? It's ripe, but it's so much tastier when picked while it's young.

For vegetables where the "fruit" or "seed-bearing" part of the plant is what you're eating -- tomatoes or peppers -- the opposite is true. A tomato may be ready, even red, but it tastes a lot better when it's picked as ripe as possible and eaten straight from the vine.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. Many vegetables can taste better while still young. For example, the French love their petis pois (baby peas) or a small zucchini generally has more flavor and is more tender than one that's been allowed to grow into a giant.

A lot of when to harvest is just common sense. Herbs usually taste better before they've gone to seed. Pick corn when it's sweeter rather than waiting for it to get old and starchy.

Other veggies can wait it out until you've got the time. Root crops, like carrots, onions and potatoes, generally have a larger window of picking opportunity than other vegetables

The best time to harvest is in the morning, right after the dew has dissipated. That's when your vegetables will have the highest water content. It's also good to pick vegetables during cloudy days or when you're going through a cool spell for the same reason. (If you're growing grains, though, you'll want to harvest when dry.)

There are more veggies listed in the resource links at the end of this post.

Asparagus: Harvest by snapping 6” – 10” spears off at ground level. The length of harvest period is determined by the age of the plants. Stop harvesting when spears are pencil thin.

Beans, Snap: Bean pods are most tender when the small seed inside is one-fourth mature size. After this, the pods become more fibrous and beans more starchy.

Beets: Begin harvesting when beet is 1 inch in diameter. Beet tops at this stage make tender greens. Main season beets are harvested at 2” to 3”. Harvest spring planted beets before hot weather arrives (July) and fall beets before the first moderate freeze.

Broccoli: Harvest main heads while florets are still tight and dark green, before the flowers start to open.

Carrots: Harvest at 1” to 2” thickness. Spring planted carrots should be harvested before hot weather arrives. Fall planted carrots should be harvested before the ground freezes, or mulched for winter harvest.

Chard: Swiss Chard may be harvested continuously by breaking off outer leaves. Spring planted chard can be harvested from early summer to the first moderate freeze.

Cucumbers: They are best when slightly immature, just as the spines soften and before the seeds get half sized. This varies with varieties. Most varieties will be 1 1/2” to 2 1/2” in diameter and 5” to 6” long. Pickling cucumbers will be blocky and not as long.

Eggplant: Harvest when fruit color is still bright and shiny. Eggplant is overripe with larger brown seeds when the color dulls.

Kohlrabi: Harvest when the swollen stems are 2” to 3” in diameter. Stems become woody when left too long.

Lettuce, Head: Harvest entire plant when the head feels firm, but before the center bolts.

Lettuce, Leaf: Harvest outer leaves when they get large enough for your use. Keeping them picked increases your length of harvest before they bolt.

Peas, Garden: Harvest when pods are light green and filled out. If the pods turn yellow, they are past prime. Flat dark green pods are immature.

Peas, Snow: Harvest when they attain full size and the seeds begin to show. Do not allow the pods to fill out.

Peas, Sugar Snap: Harvest when the pods are rounded and begin to swell. If they are left on the vine too long, the seeds will become starchy and the pods tough.

Radish: Harvest when 1/2” to 1” in diameter. Spring planted radishes should be pulled before hot weather. Fall planted radishes should be harvested before the ground freezes, or mulched heavily.

Spinach: Harvest when leaves become large enough to use. Break off outer leaves as the plant grows, or you may harvest the whole plant at once.

Squash, Summer: Harvest while still young and tender. Keep fruit harvested so the plant will continue to start new fruit.

Tomato: Harvest when the fruits are uniformly colored, usually red, but before the end softens. Vine-ripened tomatoes will be the sweetest, but tomatoes ripened off the vine if picked with a blush of color.

More information is available from the following links

CORNELL UNIVERSITY ANNUAL VEGETABLES

CORNELL UNIVERSITY WHEN TO HARVEST

OSU EXTENSION SERVICE HARVEST THOSE VEGGIES

Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies

Post  RoOsTeR 5/11/2012, 7:42 am

I would like to thank furbalsmom for putting this rookie topic together for us some time ago. Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 3170584802

Thanks furbalsmom for another great rookie topic!!

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies

Post  les1727 5/11/2012, 8:10 am

Thanks furbalsmom for all the great info.. I hope your health turns around. I will say a prayer for ya. I'll put your info to good use.

Carl
les1727
les1727

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/11/2012, 10:41 am

Thanks furbulsmom, this is a great rookie topic. I know a lot of the basic (basic to me, lol) veggies and this year I am trying a lot of new veggies that I have never grown so I will be refering back to this throughout the summer! Thanks again and best of luck to you! Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 993580
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/11/2012, 12:11 pm

Thank you, Furbalsmom, for a wonderful primer on harvesting times! I, too, will refer back to this as I go through the growing season.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/11/2012, 12:41 pm

I have a question... Can you peek at root crops Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 601593 .
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/11/2012, 2:31 pm

Thank you Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 109486 Furbalsmom. I have taken a liking to your topics. As a rookie this is the info I need.

Now to talk RoOsTeR into creating a tab in the how-to section to make them easier to find.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/11/2012, 2:43 pm

All rookie topics are stickied here under SFG Talk> General Discussion:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f5-general-sfg-talk

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/11/2012, 3:05 pm

cheyannarach wrote:I have a question... Can you peek at root crops Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 601593 .

I've been known to stick my finger down beside a plant to "feel" if there is a root (bulb) forming. Radishes seem to pop up out of the ground so you can see the bulb.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/11/2012, 4:17 pm

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 109486 RoOsTeR one day I will learn to serch before sticking my foot in my mouth
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/11/2012, 5:04 pm

No worries Pepper. Enjoy the topics Very Happy

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  rschack 5/15/2012, 10:45 am

Thanks for posting this! Really helpful. Very Happy
rschack
rschack

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  rschack 5/15/2012, 10:48 am

walshevak wrote:
cheyannarach wrote:I have a question... Can you peek at root crops Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 601593 .

I've been known to stick my finger down beside a plant to "feel" if there is a root (bulb) forming. Radishes seem to pop up out of the ground so you can see the bulb.

Kay

What about carrots? Any tips for knowing when to harvest? Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies 1280598131
rschack
rschack

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Empty When to harvest?

Post  memart1 5/15/2012, 11:02 am

Years ago a farmer friend told me that parsnips taste better when left in the ground over winter and harvested in the spring. Anyone out there that can verify this? I haven't planted any yet, but was thinking of doing so this fall.
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/15/2012, 1:50 pm

memart1 wrote:Years ago a farmer friend told me that parsnips taste better when left in the ground over winter and harvested in the spring. Anyone out there that can verify this? I haven't planted any yet, but was thinking of doing so this fall.

I don't know about overwintering them but I know if you harvest them after they have been in the frost the starches start to convert to sugars and they are sweeter!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Empty carrots and beets

Post  Warbler 7/24/2012, 8:20 pm

I have carrots and beets that were planted in late April and early May - here it is late July and I can't tell that they're ready. Pulled a carrot and it was smaller than the picture (yeah I'm a rookie Rolling Eyes ) and yellowish. Have stuck my finger around the largest looking beet greens and can't find much. Can you tell by the size of the greens on top? Can a crop simply be stunted and not make it? -- Keep in mind our cool rainy long spring here in Pacific Northwest. Have only had serious sun a few times in the last month.
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: When To Harvest Veggies Empty rookie topic when to harvest veg

Post  Frenchbean 7/25/2012, 12:52 pm

Many thanks for this. Ive just found the rookie topics there brill Very Happy
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/25/2012, 5:30 pm

Warbler wrote:I have carrots and beets that were planted in late April and early May - here it is late July and I can't tell that they're ready. Pulled a carrot and it was smaller than the picture (yeah I'm a rookie Rolling Eyes ) and yellowish. Have stuck my finger around the largest looking beet greens and can't find much. Can you tell by the size of the greens on top? Can a crop simply be stunted and not make it? -- Keep in mind our cool rainy long spring here in Pacific Northwest. Have only had serious sun a few times in the last month.

When beets get close the usually start to show you their shoulders! A plant can be stunted maybe with all the rain you get you may want to top dress with some compost.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/1/2019, 9:49 am

Had to bump this, even tho it's too late for this year. This info is too good to stay buried any longer. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down