Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... Toplef10Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... I22gcj10Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... Toplef10Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... I22gcj10Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by OhioGardener Today at 3:54 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 3:04 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes.....

5 posters

Go down

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... Empty Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes.....

Post  jtuck2 4/7/2011, 3:27 am

Hi, I am so new to gardening AND square foot gardening that I haven't finished prepping my first bed yet. I originally had it built as a "traditional" vetetable garden...it's deep and beautiful and not 4x4...but "square foot" was bouncing around in my head so I bought Square Foot brand topsoil at Lowes. It has bat guana and other good things in it. But I am not seeing any references to this in the book.

After reading 1/3 of the book, I decided immediately to adopt the Square Foot method. So do I use this topsoil in addition to Mel's mix of 3 ingredients? If so, do I put Mel's mix down first and the bagged stuff on top and then mix it in like you would in a traditional garden? I'm confused! (and needing to plant soon)! Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 601593
Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 109486
Newbiest
http://www.whitelotusliving.com
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... Empty Re: Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes.....

Post  Furbalsmom 4/7/2011, 3:50 am

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 396615 JTuck2, glad to have you join us.

Does the Square Foot Brand from Lowes say Mel's Mix, or have Mel's picture on it? If so, you don't need to add anything to it at all, because this is your growing medium.

The ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING BOOK was written in 2006, before pre-mixed Mel's Mix became available.

Get that bed finished, fill it with your Mel's Mix and start planting.

If what you bought does not say Mel's Mix, or if what you bought was not enough to fill your 4X4X6" bed, then you will need to make your own Mel's Mix.

Let us know exactly what you have and we will help you more.

Again, Welcome!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3138

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... Empty Re: Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes.....

Post  Old Hippie 4/7/2011, 11:33 am

If you have not opened that bag of planting mix and it is not true Mel's Mix, is there any reason you can not take it bag and get the vermiculite, peat moss and compost to make your own? That is what I would try to do. We don't have a Lowe's here, much to my dismay, but if you have your receipt and are purchasing other things a lot of stores don't mind. That way you will have exactly what you need to get a good start.

Mel's Mix does not have any actual top soil in it and doesn't need it because you use a mixture of 5 kinds of compost instead, along with the vermiculite and peat moss to lighten it and hold moisture. It is designed to be used just like that. If you can't take it back, perhaps use it for a flower bed or a separate veggie bed and see how the two different ones do over a season.

Mel's Mix and then there are his bags I bought at Lowes..... 396615 Thanks for joining our forum. Best of luck to you.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  myhouseofBOYS 4/7/2011, 4:07 pm

I *think* OP likely has true Mel mix as I too am in CA, though a few hundred miles north and our Lowe's (and only Lowe's) sells prebagged MM
myhouseofBOYS

Back to top Go down

Post  florenceq 4/7/2011, 4:34 pm

For my first box (4x8) I bought all the ingredients and mixed it myself. It was time consuming but not to terrible.

When I set up my 3rd and 4th boxes (both 4x4) I found the premix Mel's Mix at Lowes and felt like I had hit the jackpot. I still had ingredients left from the first time around so I used then up first and ten added the premixed stuff to complete.

When I priced it, the total was pretty close either way given that vermiculite is quite expensive in SoCal.
florenceq
florenceq

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 8/24/2011, 3:15 am

Thanks for all responses (months ago) and the welcomes! I've been so BUSY with my newly added garden tasks on top of everything else that I'm only getting back now.

It turned out I DID have Mel's mix. And my first garden ever is totally amazing!! I had no IDEA it would get this huge!! And we've been eating salads just from our garden produce all summer long! We still have corn, watermelons, squash, chard, carrots and tomatoes to harvest! Thanks Mel!!

I had to battle a few insects along the way so had some fun with purchased ladybugs (I felt so bad for them in that little container).

I guess I'll do another post with other questions (I have lots)! Especially the ants!

Last edited by jtuck2 on 8/24/2011, 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : formatting)
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down