Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just planning, thinking, waiting.

+17
martha
boffer
FarmerValerie
Old Hippie
elliephant
nancy
miinva
Furbalsmom
Megan
Odd Duck
kiwirose
kimbertangleknot
CindiLou
camprn
quiltbea
ander217
CarolynPhillips
21 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  FarmerValerie 2/1/2011, 10:12 am

I wish I could offer a buyer, my 22yo son is looking, but as he has a job here and is in the ARANG (Arkansas Army National Guard), moving is not simple for him, and I kinda like having the kids close, I'd never tell them that though!!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/2/2011, 11:36 am

lol Valerie.

Well.... The mobile home company wants to buy the home but they just bought 4 and have to get them ready for sale and told us to call back in 2 months. Meanwhile the home is listed on the market for a higher price than what the MH company will give. Who Knows----but i do know it will sell no matter what either way. The home is in great condition. Waiting for the sale is also great cause it gives me more time to organize and plan.
Meanwhile-----I have to relocate my sfg if I want to grow this year. So, I decided to put all my soil in 25 gallon pots and 15 gallon pots and grow my plants in those this year. It will give my soil a place to live until we get back to a regular home and garden life. I have 16 25gal pots. I have 7 15gal pots. I have 8 7gal pots and 2000 4gal pots........100 2gal pots.. The 25 gal pots are 2'x2'.
I will wait til later to decide what to do with my trellised gardens. The way it looks, the mobile will be out of here by Mid April and I wouldn't plant the melons until 1st of May. It's all iffy.
If someone could Zap me with some extra energy, that would be great.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/2/2011, 11:39 am

Maybe we should start SFG's on wheels, just hook a rope to them and move them around.......
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/2/2011, 11:48 am

FarmerValerie wrote:Maybe we should start SFG's on wheels, just hook a rope to them and move them around.......

OK!
From Claire, in Cleveland, OH. She moves it around the driveway to follow the sun.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 Img_1611

OR!
From HayJude, whereabouts unknown, traveling with a sfg box on the back of her motorhome.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 4 Img_4312
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/2/2011, 11:56 am

OH I LOVE THE SFG on the back of the motor home!!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/2/2011, 12:03 pm

I never would of thought of that one-----sfg on back of motor home. Wonder how that works out with all the wind.

I guess if you really want to garden === where there is a Will , there is a Way.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/2/2011, 12:07 pm

I need to sit and think a while cause ---I been wanting some table top square foot gardens on my deck and since my deck is not going anywhere---just the mobile home----I can build some TT sfgs. What was I thinking when i thought pots.
I don't know why I thought of the TTs just by looking at Boffers post but i did. So-thank you Boffer---it caused a chain of thought.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/2/2011, 12:22 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:OH I LOVE THE SFG on the back of the motor home!!!!

You can read HayJudes posts here.

She started out in Florida, and the last we heard from her, she was in Gettysburg, PA.
Unfortunately, that was towards the end of June last year.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/2/2011, 8:22 pm

Wood is expensive.
I want to build (4) TT sfg 2'x8' 12 inch deep.
Bought the wood tonight.
And the screws.
$300 affraid

Ouch!!!

We will build them tomorrow.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/2/2011, 9:08 pm

Wishing you good weather tomorrow.

The price of wood. affraid

ps: don't forget to put the boxes where they will not be in the way of moving your mobile home
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/2/2011, 9:44 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote:Wood is expensive.
I want to build (4) TT sfg 2'x8' 12 inch deep.
Bought the wood tonight.
And the screws.
$300 affraid

Ouch!!!

We will build them tomorrow.

Big ouchies... That's how much my two 4'x8' (one half 6" deep the other 12" deep) are going to cost with shipping.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/2/2011, 9:57 pm

Kim= are they TT or on the ground.

My expense includes the wood to make legs with supports too.
plus the plywood bottom that will be lined with poly.

If i was just making some sfg on the ground, my expense would be $136
for 12 inch deep beds (4 frames 2'x8')
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/2/2011, 11:09 pm

Mine are plastic and on the ground. So that makes whole much more sense, overlooked the TT. Duh.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 2/2/2011, 11:18 pm

You have good reason to feel overwhelmed. Try to take things one day at a time, sometimes one hour or one minute at a time. And try to take breaks, no matter how brief, for yourself - whether it is a cup of tea or coffee for 10 minutes without trying to do anything else, or whatever works for you. (Maybe hot soaking baths at night with a book and a glass of wine or a cup of tea?)

We will be thinking of you if you end up out of touch for awhile.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/3/2011, 12:15 am

martha, thank you.

honestly, my stress relieved moments are when I am gardening. Maybe thats why
i am freaking out. My garden plans have been interrupted. I do have other sfg beds in other parts of my yard but I have been gradually moving most of them close to my back door and been working on them continuously for the past 4 months and I am so comfy out there. That is my retreat. That is where I have coffee and tea. That is where I call home. I know---I just need to get over myself ---and do like you say-----take things one moment at a time but thats kinda hard to do when i have so much goin on in my moments. It takes me a while to accept change. I thought I was goin to have a nervous break down when the other home burned down. I am just crazy that way. When something changes drastically, I pace around and around objects----anxiety. etc............ I won't go in dept of my mental problems. All to say again----I could careless about the home I am in and I care more about my garden. I want to build a home hoping I will feel more at home but at the same time i have to tear down what makes me feel at home.
Shocked
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 12:31 am

Carolyn, you are not alone with the stress and anxiety. The only time I too am at peace is in the garden alone, or after a bath and a glass of wine. I tell people my dream vacation is a clean house all to myself for at least a week!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/3/2011, 12:44 am

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Happy Ground Hog Day (your blog)
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/3/2011, 1:18 am

Carolyn, no wonder you are stressed. The whole issue of your house burning down is HUGE! Losing ones home like that can cause a person to experience post traumatic stress disorder. It is not something a person gets over in a week or two. Now to have to move again and go through more upheaval before you have really had a chance to get over the trauma of losing your other house is no easy thing. Besides the feelings of loss and shock over the fire you have the added burden of feeling overwhelmed with all there is to plan and do. Besides losing your home, you are now losing, at least temporarily, the grip on the one thing that brings healing to you. How very scary that must be for you.

I believe that you can do this though. You are one strong lady. Deep breaths, my dear. I think making a few planting boxes so you have some plants to focus on will help get you through this rough patch and you will come out stronger on the other side. You can bet I will be praying for you (hope you don't find that comment offensive) for strength and courage and wisdom. If I lived close to you I would at least come and help you move some stuff or bring you a pan of lasagna. I would make you some tea or drink a glass of wine with you. Possibly two or three....who knows.

Take care and hang in there. Hugs and prayers.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 8:52 am

Very well said Old Hiippie, you have a way with words, putting them together just right. I have not lost my home to fire, but have had some things in my life happen that make me feel just the way you described, and yes, sometimes the only way out is to roll up my sleeves and find one thing at a time to focus on. Caryolyn, that's good advice, do what you can, as you can, the rest is not going anywhere, it will be there when you are ready to tackle it. I don't know if this will help or not, but make 2 lists, 1 what you can do, and 2 what needs to wait, because you just cannot think about it today, have a Scarlette O'Hara attitude about it. Sometimes just writing it down, takes it off your mind, and then when you are ready, get that second list and again, do just what you can do. This way you are assured nothing is forgotten. Let us know what we can do to help you through this.
Valerie
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 9:01 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:I am a coffee drinker and I love my coffee mugs and being the tomato freak that I am, I could not resist buying Baker Creeks Heirloom Tomato Mug along with seeds seeds and more seeds. hyper

If I lived closer I would make you a cookie bouquet to go in that new mug. I also teach cake decorating. Someday I hope to open a bakery, but would have to have one awesome staff. because there is no way I'm choosing between gardening and a cake shop.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 9:06 am

CarolynPhillips wrote: clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Happy Ground Hog Day (your blog)

Glad you stopped by, and thanks, I'm just funny that way, heck I get excited at the Geico commercial with the woodchucks chucking wood, my kids think I'm nuts. I went to visit my parents right before Christmas, they live in SW KY, and that commercial came on when my dad, brother & I were watching TV, all three of us chuckled when it came on and laughed when it ended, my mom looked at us like we were all nuts, that explains why she is, we drove her that way. Just kidding, my kids did the same to me.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/3/2011, 9:23 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:lol

Ananas D'Amerique A Chair Verte Melon
Banana Melon
Rich Sweetness 132 Melon
Petit Gris de Rennes Melon
Jenny Lind Melon
Crookneck Squash-EArly Golden Summer
Heirloom Mug

I been extremely busy. Germinating thousands of seeds.
Sadly but Happily and Confused---After all we have been through this
past year, I have not been happy in this used Mobile Home --I guess I could be
evenually---but we have been trying to sell the Mobile Home and really did not think we could with the economy as it is. We most likely have a buyer. The plan was to sell the mobile home and build a Landscape Timber Home--cabin style--where the mobile home sits now. If we sell now--I will have to uproot --take down all the sfg beds---which are rasied concrete beds----move them out of the way and store the soil somewhere--------new trash cans maybe----I am so lost that I am dazed. I have to move the beds so they can move the mobile home. And i will have to move the seedling house that has the mini hoop full of seedlings and seeds germinating. Thennnnn---I have to pack and store my furnishings somewhere---then I have to figure out where I am goin to stay---gosh---etc................have a few ideas---rough necking in a 12x24 shed. I am tired. I don't know how it will all work out ---Just know that it has to. So forgive me if I don't show up for a while---moving may cut off my internet---temporarily.
Well I hope for you things go as smoothly as possible. I hope you have some awesome ideas pop in your head each time you need to solve a problem Smile Thinking of you as you go through the thought process and physical process of moving. cheers Im cheering for you there!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 2/3/2011, 9:26 am

Oh how I wish we had "like" buttons as facebook does! I agree with what everyone has been saying, Carolyn. Baby steps, and remember to breathe. 2-3 deep calming breaths work wonders. We're sending you all the positive energy we can muster - karma, prayers, good thoughts, etc. You can get through this - and let us help you when you need it. There is such a great support system here.

Happy Thursday!!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/3/2011, 10:58 am

Thank you so much everyone.
Your words of encouragement are uplifting.
I'm having coffee in my mug, half awake, listening to
my dear husband cut wood out in the cold cold weather.
Sitting here watching the weather channel. Wow, I feel so
sorry for those who have to live through the current storms.
We don't have any snow here and should only see some snowy
slush over the weekend. We do have freezing temps.

I have two 50 foot heavy duty soil heating cables stashed away somewhere.
I thought about running them through the soil in two of the TT sfg that hubby
is building. They actually work great for starting seeds in a 4'x4' or 2'x8' cold frame and can be done several different ways. Imagination.

off to work, gotta water seedlings, transplant, and sow 13 flats of seeds today.
(4000 petunias, impatiens, and vinca) not for me---for the business.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/3/2011, 11:22 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:I have two 50 foot heavy duty soil heating cables stashed away somewhere.
I thought about running them through the soil in two of the TT sfg that hubby
is building. They actually work great for starting seeds in a 4'x4' or 2'x8' cold frame and can be done several different ways. Imagination.

If you want to start another thread, I'll help imagine with you. I've got a 4x6 TT with heating cable on it's second year, and I love it. I have the cables already to build another, but need some incentive and enthusiasm!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next