Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just planning, thinking, waiting.

+17
martha
boffer
FarmerValerie
Old Hippie
elliephant
nancy
miinva
Furbalsmom
Megan
Odd Duck
kiwirose
kimbertangleknot
CindiLou
camprn
quiltbea
ander217
CarolynPhillips
21 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/25/2011, 4:18 pm

I like to make stewed potatoes with chopped celery and or celery seeds and a few other seasonings and chopped chives.(loaded with margarine---its like having a baked potato )
I watch Alton Brown too. I think I have 22 of his episodes recorded on DVR along with Chopped and Andrew Zimmern... What a Face

I hope to chop the celeriac up in cubes and cook in my stew potatoes.
I also hear it is good raw----cut into cubed slices on a veggie tray. We eat
lots of celery around here. I will just try to incorporate it into dishes that I
normally use celery in. I use celery in my chicken or turkey dressing. I thought
maybe i could shred the celeriac and add to dressing. Even shredded into salads.
etc.......................
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  miinva 1/25/2011, 9:55 pm

Someday I hope to try celeriac... but that day isn't today Smile Best of luck! I hope you'll share pictures.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/26/2011, 2:25 pm

Just out cleaning up old lettuce plants now that all the snow and ice has melted.
Amazing how hardy lettuce is. The upper leaves were brown from frost and freeze but the rest of the plant was green. But the end of lettuce til later. While cleaning up , I checked in on the carrots, Yummy. Sweet, cold, crisp. But the radishes have turned a little too hot for my liking.
I was going to grow some snow peas in the block raised beds and let them drape over the sides assuming they would grow about 3 ft. My snow pea seed package does not tell me how tall they normally get so I went hunting on google. The first batch is called Melting Sugar- heirloom. The only thing google pulled up for me is information on Mammoth Melting Sugar Heirloom which grows up to 4 ft tall. Which means I might have to make a trellis anyway. sigh.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 100_0528
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/26/2011, 3:02 pm

I am a coffee drinker and I love my coffee mugs and being the tomato freak that I am, I could not resist buying Baker Creeks Heirloom Tomato Mug along with seeds seeds and more seeds. hyper
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/27/2011, 3:27 pm

Very Happy that was quick. I got my Baker Creek order in the mail - only took them 4 days to get it ready and have it at my front door. The shortest amount of time it ever took.
Which included my new Heirloom Tomato Coffee Mug. cheers

hyper hyper hyper hyper

AND someone gave me Two chain link fence gates that I am goin to use as
trellises.
one gate measures 8 ft long and 7 ft tall. (two of these) hyper

I have two beds that are actually 16 inches wide and 10 feet long. Its perfect.
Brain is going round and round.. I think I am goin to drive t-post into the ground and wire the gate trellis to the t-post. It aint the prettiest trellis in the world but imagine it covered with pole beans and and and.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 1/27/2011, 3:45 pm

Carolyn - I'm so excited you received your seeds (and mug) already! I mailed in my order Monday - I can't wait to get mine! It's my first time ordering from Baker Creek and so far I'm thrilled. Altho' it was awfully difficult deciding amoung so many varieties! What a Face
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/27/2011, 3:49 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote: Very Happy that was quick. I got my Baker Creek order in the mail - only took them 4 days to get it ready and have it at my front door. The shortest amount of time it ever took.
Which included my new Heirloom Tomato Coffee Mug. cheers

hyper hyper hyper hyper

Yeah, they are quick. I got mine in record time too last year. And the seeds themselves are beautiful.

CarolynPhillips wrote:AND someone gave me Two chain link fence gates that I am goin to use as
trellises.
one gate measures 8 ft long and 7 ft tall. (two of these) hyper

Brain is going round and round.. I think I am goin to drive t-post into the ground and wire the gate trellis to the t-post. It aint the prettiest trellis in the world but imagine it covered with pole beans and and and.

Crybaby I never come across stuff like that. Lucky lady.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 1/27/2011, 5:57 pm

!
!
trellises.
one gate measures 8 ft long and 7 ft tall. (two of these)
Carolyn - you are a genius! Seriously - I am selling a house that had a regular chain link gate that I am going to bring home and use as a gate to my fenced in garden (deer), but there is 2 larger gates that I hadn't even thought about from a trellis purpose - I can't believe I missed that one! Thank you so much for your posts, your enthusiasm and your inspiration
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/27/2011, 7:33 pm

Congratulations! My Baker Creek order arrived today and I'm so excited!

You could grow some yummy peas on your new trellises! Chain link makes a great trellis. We have a dog pen that got damaged so we're using the panels in the garden instead. If only they made chain link arches! *giggle*
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/27/2011, 9:29 pm

miinva wrote: Chain link makes a great trellis. We have a dog pen that got damaged so we're using the panels in the garden instead. If only they made chain link arches! *giggle*

Its funny you mention that===i thought the same thing-= only because one of my greenhouse hoops are made of "chain link fence railing". They were bent into an arch for a hoop greenhouse. All i would have to do is buy the chain link and hard ware to make it work........... but this is a future project in thought cause i rather spend money on other things at the moment. March and April is goin to be a very busy time for me. I have to pot up and transplant 300 hanging baskets, 50 5gal pots, 600 6inch pots, 400 flats (36plants each) of bedding and veggie plants, and 3900 4 inch pots. Plus think and plan my own garden schedule. Plus order tags for all of the above. Plus clean and arrange and and and and.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/27/2011, 9:44 pm

Kiwi, im glad i threw some ideas out there that you could use. I hope you have fun with yours. I am impatiently thrilled with the idea.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2011, 12:25 am

nancy wrote:Carolyn - I'm so excited you received your seeds (and mug) already! I mailed in my order Monday - I can't wait to get mine! It's my first time ordering from Baker Creek and so far I'm thrilled. Altho' it was awfully difficult deciding amoung so many varieties! What a Face

I ordered my on the internet--im too impatient for mail orders.
Did you order the Mug too????????????
I bet I circled a 100 items in the Baker Creek Catalog, but only order 6 of them this time. (other catalogs too) I am already over doing it and I have to face the facts that I will not have room for everything that I wanted to grow ----unless I make more beds and I just don't know when I will have time to do that.......in my dreams.

edited to add-----i do have plans to make two more beds......i just havent figured out when yet.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 1/28/2011, 2:00 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:

trellises.
one gate measures 8 ft long and 7 ft tall. (two of these)

What a fantastic idea!! The parking lot maintenance guy at work broke the gate to our back parking lot. I am going to ask for the old gate since they are replacing it. My husband wants us to grow watermelons this summer and with space at a premium, I want to trellis them. That should work great since it is so sturdy. It is about 3'x 7'. Dang! I am getting excited.
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 1/28/2011, 9:47 am

No - I didn't order the mug. I received 10 new tea mugs for Christmas and have no room for them, so I didn't need another. But I'm very happy for you! Very Happy

I garden in an allotment that is 25' x 25' and I still have room for more boxes. I hope to add 2-3 more, but knowing me, it could be 4-5. Oy! I won't fill every square like I did last year. The melons will get their own bed. We got more snow last night, so my day dreams will have to remain in my head for a bit longer.

About the chain link - do peas mind the heat? I have clematis growing along the fence in the back yard, but it (the fence) gets too hot for them and they don't thrive. Just wondered if peas felt the same way.
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2011, 10:23 am

Nancy , from what I understand, the peas(sweet) are done and finished before the Spring and Summer heat sets in, so I would think they would be fine on a chain link during cool weather, even early warm spring. Clematis are picky vines. They need evening shade where summers get hot.

I measured those two beds for my gate trellises. The beds are actually 12 feet long each.

I have a problem= so to speak= I want to grow too many melons.
Ananas d'Amerique a Chair Vert
Hearts of Gold Hoo Doo
Golden Jenny
Jenny Lind
Petit Gris De Rennes( a must) excellent mini cantaloupe
D' Algiers(can live without)
Banana Melon
Rich Sweetness 132
Long Snake melon( can live without)

I need a way to keep the melons seperated from each other just so they don't get too intertwined so I know what I am eating come harvest time.
I think I should grow some pole green beans between the varieties== might help but not sure if that is a bad idea or not. It would help shade the mini melons. I couldn't find anything about melon and beans being companions.
thinking

Of course the watermelons= Solitare and Sugar Baby will grow on
the Arched Trellis. What a Face
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 1/29/2011, 1:01 pm

Carolyn - my seeds came today!! Less than a week and all through the mail. Baker Creek is awesome! I'm so excited!! flower flower flower
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/29/2011, 5:16 pm

Nancy
affraid
they used magic!
wow, that is very quick. Shocked
glad for you.
what did you order?==im just nosie
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 1/31/2011, 7:33 pm

I got:

Blue Lake Bush Beans
Calabrese Broccoli
Little Finger Carrot
Tonda Di Parigi Carrot
Sugar Ann Peas
Merlo Nero Spinach
Stevia
Basrawya Tomato
Riesentraube Tomato
Ananas Noir Tomato
Gold Medal Tomato
White Wonder Watermelon
Moon & Stars Watermelon
White Sugar Lump Watermelon

and they sent me a packet of Chives, which I do not need as they grow wild & rampant in my backyard. It's all so very exciting. Of course we're supposed to get freezing rain tonite. Wonder if the groundhog will even be able to get out of his hole. Very Happy

Now I'll be nosy - what did you get?
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/31/2011, 9:45 pm

lol

Ananas D'Amerique A Chair Verte Melon
Banana Melon
Rich Sweetness 132 Melon
Petit Gris de Rennes Melon
Jenny Lind Melon
Crookneck Squash-EArly Golden Summer
Heirloom Mug

I been extremely busy. Germinating thousands of seeds.
Sadly but Happily and Confused---After all we have been through this
past year, I have not been happy in this used Mobile Home --I guess I could be
evenually---but we have been trying to sell the Mobile Home and really did not think we could with the economy as it is. We most likely have a buyer. The plan was to sell the mobile home and build a Landscape Timber Home--cabin style--where the mobile home sits now. If we sell now--I will have to uproot --take down all the sfg beds---which are rasied concrete beds----move them out of the way and store the soil somewhere--------new trash cans maybe----I am so lost that I am dazed. I have to move the beds so they can move the mobile home. And i will have to move the seedling house that has the mini hoop full of seedlings and seeds germinating. Thennnnn---I have to pack and store my furnishings somewhere---then I have to figure out where I am goin to stay---gosh---etc................have a few ideas---rough necking in a 12x24 shed. I am tired. I don't know how it will all work out ---Just know that it has to. So forgive me if I don't show up for a while---moving may cut off my internet---temporarily.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/31/2011, 10:25 pm

Sounds like a mixed blessing, but one that will ultimately leave you in a better place. I hope it all works out!
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/1/2011, 1:30 am

Oh Carolyn! I do not envy you in the least. We have been in our place 2 1/2 years now and I remember the turmoil we were going through for so many months before we got this place. It has turned out to be a huge blessing too, but sure was difficult to see at the time. The move itself came at the wrong time of year in a way. Good not to have to move in the winter but it sucked not being able to plant anything that year. However, since then it has been wonderful. I know things will work out for you but perhaps not in the way that you expect.

Take care my dear.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/1/2011, 1:44 am

CarolynPhillips wrote: If we sell now--I will have to uproot --take down all the sfg beds---which are rasied concrete beds----move them out of the way and store the soil somewhere--------new trash cans maybe----I am so lost that I am dazed. I have to move the beds so they can move the mobile home. And i will have to move the seedling house that has the mini hoop full of seedlings and seeds germinating. Thennnnn---I have to pack and store my furnishings somewhere---then I have to figure out where I am goin to stay---gosh---etc........

So much on your plate right now. Wish we could make it easier for you. BIG hug
Hope you can keep some beds in place if the mobile home is being moved. You already have so much time, effort and money invested. Just know we are thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 3 Empty To a better future

Post  ander217 2/1/2011, 7:35 am

Carolyn, here's hoping for a better future for you and your family. If you do have to leave us, try to check in once in a while from your local library's computer if they have one for public use.

I can't wait to see the photos of that finished log house, and your brand new SFG.

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/1/2011, 10:09 am

I have gotten through the past 9 months by burring myself into the garden--so to speak.
My strawberries are budding in the pyramid bed that has to be moved but they are in concrete blocks so I might be able to have strawberries after all. Just unstack the blocks and set them somewhere safe and keep them watered.
I might be able to save the Arched trellis if we move it just right. Getting it back together will be a problem.
There is just too much to think about. Have you ever had so much to think about that you ended sitting there and not getting much done. I am not getting much done right now.......just thinking, doodling, graphing, planning. I don't know how I am goin to garden yet. It is a must---it gets me through each day without falling apart.

When we get the 12x24 storage shed set in place, we will run the phone service and electricity right a way. I should only be absent for a few days. We are setting the shed up at the end of our deck near the power service pole. The shed will also be set next to the septic system. All this will make life more pleasant.

When we sell the Mobile Home--I will start a blog of every step we take....til then ..its all waiting. The Mobile Home company that we bought the home from is discussing rather to buy it back and how much --or not.
It would be a waste to be sitting here trying to figure it all out if the MH company decided not to buy or didn't offer enough.
We thought we had a buyer 2 wks ago but they couldn't borrow enough money.

Thanks to everyone for being here during my crazed life.

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 2/1/2011, 10:09 am

Best wishes, Carolyn! We'll all be thinking about you and sending all the good thoughts we can!!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next