Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? Toplef10What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? I22gcj10What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? Toplef10What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? I22gcj10What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes?

+7
sfg4uKim
ander217
Patty from Yorktown
sceleste54
happyfrog
camprn
Megan
11 posters

Go down

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? Empty What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes?

Post  Megan 12/1/2010, 6:23 pm

The topic says it all. What are your family favorite make-ahead recipes that freeze well? (If it's a recipe you have already posted, a link will do just fine.)

My niece is expecting twin babies next week, and I've been asked to help fill their freezer for them to live off for a while. I've got plenty of ideas already but thought I'd ask here, as I thought a thread on frozen meals (as opposed to freezing veggie harvests for preservation) might be useful and interesting.

For her and her husband: No food allergies or other dietary restrictions, but not keen on potatoes, peas, dill, or anything super-hot. (Guess I have to put away my bottle of Sri Racha! Twisted Evil)

Thanks! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3348

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? Empty Re: What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes?

Post  camprn 12/1/2010, 6:31 pm

I don't do a lot of this but I have done tuna casserole. Shocked I know, not much help...
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? Empty Re: What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes?

Post  happyfrog 12/1/2010, 6:59 pm

lasagna (make it in those bread pans - it's just right for 2-3 people; 5 people if 3 of them are young children) - i made about 12 of those for our family.

prebrown ground beef with the flavors you like - green pepper, onion, garlic. then freeze in 1 1/2 cup portions - drain off most of the fat. this way fast meals can happen - tacos, cheesy casseroles with meat, etc. all one needs to do is thaw the meat in microwave and fry up with whatever. . .

precook chicken and flash freeze, then individually freeze if pieces so again, quick microwave thaw and heat can happen.

some of the precooked chicken dice up so it can be a topping to make chicken alfredo, etc.

most pasta dishes will freeze and thaw well - i do it all the time here - like the pasta/meat/cheese dish most folks 'throw together'. just freeze in ziploc bags and lay flat in freezer. easy to thaw and heat to serve.

if you're making dishes, always nice to have some desserts, too. cheesecakes (one of my favorite things to make and share) is incredibly easy. and then after it's baked and cooled overnight, throw in freezer for 4-12 hours - and cut it in quarters when it's very cold. wrap in parchment paper/waxed paper each quarter adn overwrap with alum foil. voila, 4 desserts - simply thaw and serve. eqch quarter will serve 4-6 folks - easiest to cut 'pretty' slices when the cheesecake is frozen - then put on dessert plates. by the time dinner is finished eating the cheesecake will be perfect to end the meal.

really i would suggest finding out what favorite meals are - and make up a bunch of those as each family has different tastes.

another idea too - something i did during each pregnancy is to intentionally make double or triple dinners. then freezing in family sized portions in those disposable pans you can buy at GFS, etc. truly made life simple. (and i know not green, but it sure was a sanity saver with lots of little children running around and hungry tummies). to have homemade meals already done was awesome.

you're an amazing blessing to consider doing this for your niece.

i just reread your post and realized she's having them next week. wow!

i would definitely recommend just making double/triple meals when you cook your meals for your family, sending the extra meals on - one to freeze, one to eat that week. definitely disposable pans. she's gonna be one tired mommy and the husband? is gonna be worried and tired, too.

also, on the dessert thought, bake cookies, too - they freeze EXTRAORDINARILY well. heck, that's what i serve for dinner tonight (well dessert, lol). i pulled out 2 cookies each of 5 different varieties and let everyone choose what they watned. i put together gift trays all the time that way and everyone always thinks how fresh and tasty they are (i'm a celiac so i don't eat them - i purposely don't bake gluten free most desserts 'cause my bottom is voluptuous enough.)

i sure did yammer on. hope you find something useful in my ramblings. Smile

bettyann
mommy to three amazing kids on earth - 6,4,2
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/1/2010, 7:12 pm

stuff in my freezer:

chilli
lasagna
meatloaf
beef stroganoff
diced cooked chicken
browned ground beef
veggie soup
potato soup
black bean and salsa chicken soup
beef stew

i actually save all those 32 oz yogurt containers and 24 oz ricotta cheese containers. they are PERFECT for a family of 5 for soups and stews. it's actually too much for a meal - but there's just enough for a leftover or 2 for lunches.

pretty much anything i cook, i put in freezer. i actually fill up a container for freezing at the same time i'm serving up dinner so there IS 'leftovers' that way. any surplus after that is reincorporated into meals later that week so we don't have a lot of 'leftovers' at any time in our fridge. it works for us. my family doesn't really enjoy eating the same thing more than once every couple weeks at most so this was my solution. Smile turned out to be a timesaver.

hth

bettyann

ps i do have a blog where i've been trying to be better about posting recipes.

http://familyfavorites-recipes.blogspot.com/

but really any cookbook or 'allrecipes.com' search will find the aforementioned recipes - they're pretty standard - just tweak to your family's palate.
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 12/1/2010, 7:28 pm

What a great post, bettyann, thank you! Smile

They were not too particular about favorites and seem pretty easy to please. For myself, I would definitely go the route you suggested in terms of cooking chicken / etc. to throw together into their own creations. When I am especially lazy I chop up and freeze onion, peppers, etc, browned ground turkey/beef, etc, for EXACTLY that reason.... but for them I want it to be a no brainer -- thaw, cook or re-heat, eat, with minimal thought/decision making.

Lasagne is definitely on the list. Love the loaf pan idea. I was going to just do a 7x13 pan and cut it up into squares and freeze it that way... may have to re-think that one. It is just the two of them (these are their first babies.)

I've got enough pesto put up that it will be on there, too. Other things... if not a meal in one, I want to make them them "kit"-oriented... minimal touch time, everything for a single meal bagged up together and ready to go.

Love your ideas on desserts. I have never made a cheesecake, but cookies are a good idea.... and I found an interesting freeze recipe for apples with chocolate and nuts.

One trick I learned years ago was to par-boil pasta, then freeze it. What you do is this: Cook your pasta until just al-dente. Drain it, add a little olive oil and shake it around while still in the colander, and let it cool. (Normally I never add oil to pasta unless the oil is the dressing itself--but in this case, you need it.) Put into a zip top bag (typically a gallon bag), squish all the air out, and then freeze solid. When comes time you want to use it, put a full kettle of water on to boil. Put the frozen pasta block into a colander in the sink (do not break it up). *This is where you evict kids and pets from the kitchen.* When the water is truly at a raging rolling boil, SLOWLY pour it over the frozen pasta.... circling the pour around to cover all the pasta in turn. By the time your kettle is empty, the pasta should be hot and ready to go, perfectly cooked. This is faster than heating up a big stockpot to boil the pasta. Not "green" (as you're heating up water twice), but, it can be convenient.

On the same note, something else I also learned was, if you pre-cook rice, do not, ever, NEVER ever, freeze it in a one-gallon ziptop bag. Freeze it in 1-cup amounts, 2 cup if you are daring. The first, and only, time I froze a big batch of rice in a gallon zipbag, I got a block with thermal capacity which very possibly could substitute for those heat-shield tiles they use on the Space Shuttle. No joke. It took me 2-3 days to thaw the darn thing. Shocked
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/1/2010, 7:35 pm

HA HA, thermal tiles... I have noted your recommendation... lol.
I found this site on freezing seems to be good info here.
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 12/1/2010, 7:47 pm

camprn wrote:HA HA, thermal tiles... I have noted your recommendation... lol.

Also, do not drop it on your foot....
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/1/2010, 8:00 pm

Megan wrote:
camprn wrote:HA HA, thermal tiles... I have noted your recommendation... lol.

Also, do not drop it on your foot....
affraid
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 12/1/2010, 10:39 pm

http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/recipe/wild-rice-chicken-supreme/

My kids used to really love this.. I made a lot of it and froze in loaf pans. Its pretty tasty !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 382

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 12/1/2010, 10:41 pm

Here's another site for ideas...
http://www.momsbudget.com/freezerrecipes/index.html
sceleste54

Female Posts : 382

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 12/2/2010, 7:15 am

There are a whole bunch of "cook once, eat all month cookbooks and Desperate dinners, ready in 20 minutes or less." I would make casseroles, as a lot of folks do not cook enough to know what to do with ingredience. Write what it is and how to cook it on the package, especially if 15 more minutes in the oven means you do not need to defrost it. Happy cook book reading.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? Empty pre-cooked meals

Post  ander217 12/2/2010, 8:42 am

I second BettyAnn's post. Lasagna and beef or lamb stew are our favorite frozen meals. Shepherd's pie and chicken tetrazzini are good, too. (I like Giada De Laurentiis's tetrazzini recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chicken-tetrazzini-recipe/index.html) It's much better than my mom's which called for a can of mushroom soup and Cheez Whiz. Mom's also called for slivered almonds, too, which I still add to mine.

I also pre-cook a lot of meat and freeze it. In addition to ground beef and ground pork I also roast bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, cool them and place each in individual sandwich bags, then freeze several bags in a gallon freezer bag. (I think the skin helps keep the meat from drying out.) Whole breasts can be microwaved or oven-heated for a meal, or the skin and bones can be removed and the meat used for anything from casseroles and stir-fries to chicken salad. The bones and skin can then be simmered in water for soup broth. (Sometimes I place basil or sage leaves or garlic under the chicken skin before roasting for extra flavor.)

I do the same thing with pork chops, hamburger steaks, and meatballs, and for a quick meal I serve them with bottled barbecue or spaghetti sauce or on sandwiches. I brown my chops or meatballs in a skillet, then put them in the oven to finish cooking. I freeze the cooled meatballs on a cookie sheet before bagging them.

You could also roast whole sweet potatoes and wrap them and freeze them, but by the time they thawed and heated, your relative could just throw a fresh one in the oven and roast it. I've been buying those microwaveable bags of brown rice to use when I'm in a hurry. They aren't too bad. Add a salad and a piece of fruit or ice cream for dessert to round out a complete meal.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/2/2010, 5:16 pm

i thought of this post tonight while i was making dinner. tonight i'm serving chipotle inspired dinner - i love going to chipotle but it's not really in the budget for 5 eager eating folks (and trust me, the youngest kid can hold her own there!)

so i make similar to what they offer - tonight i made cilantro lime rice, black beans, fried up onions and green peppers, made tomato and corn salsa, and topped with a mexican blend of cheese - layered it all in a casserole dish and heated up for a bit. *grin* i just pull out when it bubbles and smells real good in the house.

the garlic, onions, green peppers, tomatoes and corn all came from teh garden this year - pulled everything from the freezer (sans garlic and onions - those are in my basement in the dark corner).

to make cilantro lime rice - just add some cilantro (i used dried - i didn't grow any this year - but it's on the list for next year, *grin*) and some lime juice. along with the salt and a Tablespoon of butter. cook as you would rice. voila, rice that tastes a whole lot like chipotle's. Smile

i made 2 pans - one to freeze and one for tonight.

hth with another idea.

find out what kind of 'fast food' they like and see if you can make a homemade (and much more filling) version of it.

we have 'fast food' night here every other week. and yes, i consider chipotle fast food. *grin*

we have olive garden dinner, too (that also goes under the 'fast food' category - even though it isn't.

that dish i've never had any extra of so i don' tknow how it freezes, but i bet it would do well. i am sure i shared that recipe on my blog - it's my husband's favorite way to eat chicken - and i don't like it as much as him, so i only make it about 4x year (i'm not into artichokes nearly as much as him) - it's a crockpot dish even! very forgiving. .

just went to my little recipe blog and discovered i don't have it listed. shame on me - so i'll find it and type it up and share the link.

in the meantime - here's a recipe that DOES freeze well. my husband just loves this dish - and he's not a flavor/spice kind of guy. it's antoher crockpot meal - i am notorious for puttinng meat in crockpot frozen solid. . 'cause i never remember to pull it from freezer. .

http://familyfavorites-recipes.blogspot.com/2010/07/chicken-makhani.html
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/8/2010, 12:58 pm

I don't have specific recipes, but I have a TON of "Entree" size freezer containers. Whatever I make for dinner, I make a couple extra portions for the freezer. So there's ALWAYS a variety of meals in the freezer for hubby to take to work or when I don't feel like cooking.

Yesterday I added Sweet & Sour chicken with rice to my freezer.

Almost ANY casserole recipe and MOST soups work.

Pulled pork BBQ filling (you can even freeze the rolls) freezes well.

Think about the variety of frozen meals at your grocery store and you can get a feel of what freezes well.

Even breakfast foods freeze well!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2053

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 12/8/2010, 1:08 pm

Thanks everyone!!

Today is omelet day, plus finishing up the sauce for the beef, and bread baking. (Some of it....)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/8/2010, 2:09 pm

I make a great crustless quiche that even my husband enjoys.

in mixer (partly becuase I am lazy, but you can use a whisk)
5 large eggs
1 Cup cottage cheese or Riccotta Cheese
1/4 Cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tblsp melted butter
1 1/2 Cups shredded cheese see below for suggestions
Add-ins below

Preheat oven to 425 F

Prepare 10 inch pie plate with cooking spray

Beat eggs, mix in riccotta or cottage cheese
mix flour and baking powder together, add to egg mixture and mix well (no lumps)
Add melted butter and cheese. Add ins as you choose. Pour into prepared 10 inch pie pan.

Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes

Reduce heat to 350 F
Top with additional shredded cheese (1/2 cup) if desired

Bake 15 more minutes. Eggs should be set. Let cool a couple of minutes, slice into six servings

Alternately, spoon into prepared cupcake tins (use a good amount of cooking spray) Makes 12 cupcakes, two per serving
Bake 10 min at 425F then 7 - 10 minutes at 350F

Add Ins: Use just one or two add-ins

4 - 6 oz sausage, cooked and crumbled
6 - 8 oz sliced mushrooms, sauted
1 Cup Shredded Zucchini (raw)
1/2 10 oz pkg chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
4 oz leftover ham, cubed
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 oz can chopped chilis, drained

Suggestions for cheeses and combos
cheddar with sausage and mushrooms
mozzarella with zucchini
Swiss with spinach and bacon
Swiss with spinach and mushrooms
Montery Jack with chilis

We do not eat the whole thing, so I take the remainder and freeze each slice individually. Reheat in microwave on 50% power for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. If you choose to cook in cupcake pans, reheat in microwave 50% power about 1 1/2 minutes.

Last edited by Furbalsmom on 12/8/2010, 2:15 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : addition of serving size)
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3138

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 2:53 pm

Two years ago we had tons of red potatoes and no proper place to store them. I went ahead and cooked them, skins on, and then mashed them. I then added butter and sour cream, stuck them in baggies and froze them. They tasted great, and it was nice to just pull 'em out at lunch time, then heat before dinner.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pamlstano 6/1/2011, 2:24 am

As per the ingredients and cooking method, We need to spent at least 1 and half hour for this recipe. I thought that your whole time gone in oven heat.
pamlstano

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite make-ahead-and-freeze recipes? Empty 24 hour crock pot chili

Post  Reverend Curlee 6/1/2011, 2:42 am

Mine would be 24 hour crock pot chili with chorizo sausage and roasted Pablano Peppers. I'll have to post the recipe later.

RC
Reverend Curlee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down