Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! Toplef10It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! I22gcj10It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! Toplef10It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! I22gcj10It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

It's October! Are you doing a fall garden? Update here!

+3
Weedless_
The Cat's Other Mother
elliephant
7 posters

Go down

It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! Empty It's October! Are you doing a fall garden? Update here!

Post  elliephant 10/3/2010, 3:48 pm

So, I see lots of folk in the colder climates packing it in or preparing to. I figure those of us down south need to band together and get chatting about our fall/winter gardens. I know in my case things pretty much shut down through the summer and now it's exciting to get back outside as it's starting to cool off (ok, so we had a brief spell of mid-80s before getting back up to the low 90s, but it's down to the mid-60s at night!).

So, how's your fall garden? Have you planted yet? I know I'm still waiting for cooler weather for some things, but I've gotten a lot in the past couple of weeks.

Tomatoes: 3 suckers from spring crop that I rooted in pots indoors back in June (or was it early July?) that are now back in the garden. The biggest one just started setting fruit again a few days ago, woohoo! One cherry tomato plant I couldn't resist from a big box store. And I have 2 Brandywine starts indoors in self-watering pots that I will acclimate to the outdoors and transplant next week. I started these from seed (a first for me!) and am very happy with their progress.

Bush beans: One patch of 6 squares that have been through absolute torture this summer between the heat, neglect (planted in late July and could hardly stand to get out there long enough to dump water on them), iron problems, pests, and...are surviving and have a bunch of 1-2 inch beans growing on them. Today I have had the great fun of watching my most recent planting (3 squares each of green, wax, and dragon bush beans) sprout as I've watched throughout the day.

Peas: Miserable germination so far. Don't know if it's because I planted a bit earlier than I should have. Will probably be replanting this week.

Cucumbers: Planted 2 in one square and one thrived while the other died in the last hot spell (around 100). Replanted the one that died and the big one got attacked by cabbage worms. Finally got those under control, but that plant isn't recovering well. Also planted 2 Poona Keera in a square and probably should have just done 1 to a square as their leaves are much larger and both plants are thriving and I think they are going to be crowded. Will plant 1 more square this week.

Squash: 1 out of 2 plants that I started indoors has survived. Lots of male blossoms right now, waiting for the first female one. Will be ready to hand pollinate when it does. Direct seeded a few more a week or so ago and they are coming along nicely.

Radishes: Planted a square on impulse even though we don't really like them.

Lettuce: Like the peas, planted too early and miserable germination so far. 1 square of Black Seeded Simpson is coming along despite the heat, however. Will wait a couple of weeks to plant more.

Wonderberry (Sunberry): After reading that these reseed readily I decided to plant these in the ground. I had to move one box from an area that wasn't level enough and I took advantage of the cleared space to create a little bed for them. 4 plants outside and have been shading them from the sun. Today is their first day without shade and they seem ok. 1 left inside (forgot about it) so I guess I'll be doing that all over again this week.

3 pepper plants indoors that I intend to grow in pots on the porch so I can bring them in if/when we get a freeze over the winter.

Wow! It seems like a lot when I type it all up like that!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! Empty Re: It's October! Are you doing a fall garden? Update here!

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 10/3/2010, 5:35 pm

I planted peas again, and like before, they came up to about 8" really fast. Still waiting to see if these keep going, unlike the summer crop that gave out there. I also planted lettuce, which is growing like gangbusters, and beets, which are supposed to be an early variety, but so far are teeny-tiny. Oh, and spinach, also growing well.
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! Empty Re: It's October! Are you doing a fall garden? Update here!

Post  Weedless_ 10/3/2010, 7:05 pm

I haven't planted anything specifically for Fall, even though I've been day dreaming about this for a few weeks. I am guessing (judging the unusually cool weather today), it might be too late to plant.
However, I started my garden late this year, so we are still enjoying quite a bit of cucumbers (on their last fumes, I think), and a ton of summer squash.
Poor squash was badly damaged by vine borer, then by pickle worm twice, and several times by squash bugs, and after all the nasty carnage it came back from dead and hit us with mighty crop. I pick a squash a day consistently, and considering pickling them now - there are just too many. It's not a zucchini, it's my native town Odessa (Ukraine) squash. So we still have plenty of it, just from one plant.
I have 3 watermelons waiting to be picked, basil is still standing.
I also have ton of tomatoes ripening on the vine.
I think I'll be planting some "ready-to-go" mums or some other fall flowers, just for color.
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 10/3/2010, 9:19 pm

I pulled up most of my tomatos after they were decimated by some kind of disease and 2 mammoth hornworms. I had 2 vines that still showed some life so I left those and they have thanked me by setting blooms and now I have some ping pong ball size tomatos to look forward to. Yesterday I planted several squares of Derby Bush beans. I had those planted this summer and they didn't do as well as I'd hoped so I'm hoping the cooler weather will help. I also planted one square each of Detroit beets and Cherry Belle radishes. I don't even eat beets but they look so pretty in pictures and seem to be so nutritious I'm going to try to like them... Laughing I have Vivian Romaine lettuce and Swiss Chard started under lights in the house, I'll be setting those out in a couple of weeks, and I think I'll try some sweet peas..
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 10/4/2010, 3:03 am

We planted, tomatoes, peppers, peas, squash, onions, carrots, beets, lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard. Just hope I didn't wait to long. It was still so hot here in Az, in the 100's, and I put off planting. I still have things under shade most of the day to keep them alive.
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 10/4/2010, 5:41 am

Fall garden doing pretty well so far. I've got ....

Tomatoes: Pink Brandywine, Lemon Boy, Yellow Pear, Better Boy, Mr. Stripey, Cherry (red), Cherry (Yellow), Beefsteak and Wild Florida Everglades Tomato

Cucumber (Burpless)

Cantalope (Super 45 Hybrid)

Bush Beans

Sugar Snap Peas

Yellow Squash

Bell Peppers (Green, Yellow, Red, Orange)

Spinach

Radishes

Dill, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

It's October!  Are you doing a fall garden?  Update here! Empty Fall Garden

Post  gjsarah 10/19/2010, 11:33 pm

there is a great organic farm up the road a piece from us in worthington springs, fl. it's called comet farm. haley west (owner / horticulturist) sells home garden kits in the fall and spring. totally awesome. i have planted kale (two kinds), lettuce, broccoli, peas, nasturtiums, hollyhocks, a few herbs (dill, parsley and chives) in my raised bed (4x6x12). then in two attractive terra cotta pots i planted carrots and radishes, respectively. here's a photo:

/Users/Noah/Desktop/73403_441415164331_681979331_5318971_3800257_n.jpg

if it doesn't show up i'll try again.

happy gardening - my niece in MN is quite jealous that we can keep gardening...
gjsarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum