Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Toplef10tomato and pepper with blossom end rot 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot I22gcj10tomato and pepper with blossom end rot 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Toplef10tomato and pepper with blossom end rot 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot I22gcj10tomato and pepper with blossom end rot 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot

+7
pattipan
martha
SFG in Chicago
Weedless_
camprn
aliciazim
bonniesherbals
11 posters

Go down

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Empty tomato and pepper with blossom end rot

Post  bonniesherbals 7/18/2010, 11:48 pm

HELP..... lots of green tomatoes but it seems a bunch have blossom end rot, mostly the larger ones, i need to look to see which ones. Has anyone used kelp to add to the soil to help this?
bonniesherbals
bonniesherbals

Female Posts : 32

http://www.bonniesherbals.com

Back to top Go down

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Empty Re: tomato and pepper with blossom end rot

Post  aliciazim 7/26/2010, 9:13 am

What does this look like? I had two ripe roma tomatoes and I picked both today. I looked at the bottoms to find a hole in each one, so I cut them open to see if a bug or worm had crawled inside. I did not find any, but they were both black and looked rotten in the bottom portions of the tomatoes. Do you know what causes this? I have TONS of green ones on the vine, and I don't want to lose all of them to whatever this is.

If we can identify it, perhaps we can battle it!

Alicia Zimmerman
North Tonawanda, NY
aliciazim

Back to top Go down

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Empty Re: tomato and pepper with blossom end rot

Post  camprn 7/26/2010, 9:51 am

Link to previous thread.
lack of magnesium and calcium? Treatment epsom salt, calcium (crushed Tums tabs or powdered milk):
tablespoon of epsom salt and 2 tablespoons store brand boxed powdered milk, sprinkle around the base of the plant and gently scratch in & water. http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000082444023571.html
tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Blossom+end+rot
I have not used kelp for BER.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Weedless_ 7/26/2010, 10:46 am

From all I have read so far about that problem, it stems from under watering. Tomatoes need 1-3 inches of water weekly. This article explains it, but others I read say that amending soil isn't enough, adding enough water ensures that those nutrients (calcium most importantly) are being carried by water all the way to the fruit.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html

Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 7/26/2010, 11:18 am

Well I just discovered this problem in my own SFG. Except I only have it on 1 tomato plant out of 5, and none of my peppers. I did put crushed eggshells and epsom salts in the holes when I planted my tomatoes in the spring, Mom swears this works for her. I also added some more epsom salts on top just last week. I have read it can be caused by too little OR too much watering. Well I have been trying to be consistent with the watering but of course we can't control Mother Nature. We had massive rains Friday night, lots of flooding in our area. Our yard is not graded properly and there was some standing water right next to my SFG box. This morning I found BER on just the one plant, a Golden Jubilee. It looks like the fruit is just at the beginning of the BER, there is a brown spot at the blossom end but it's not mushy/rotten yet. Most of the fruit on that one plant was affected, but not a couple of the oldest ones at the bottom of the plant. I find it odd that it's only the one plant, I hope this doesn't mean the rest of the tomato plants are going to follow suit. I've added some more crushed eggshells but obviously that's not a quick fix. Thanks for the powdered milk suggestion. I'm not going to be watering for another day or 2, the soil in the box is still quite wet. What do you all think of pouring a little regular liquid milk around the plant?
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/26/2010, 11:23 am

I have a friend that is using raw milk on her tomatoes every few weeks. She swears that are doing better than in the years she did not use the milk. I believe it certainly cant hurt putting a bit of milk to the roots. Let us know how that goes for you. Good Luck!!
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Empty Mom may have solved it.

Post  SFG in Chicago 7/26/2010, 3:01 pm

You know I was just talking to my Mom on the phone. She was here visiting me around tomato planting time. She reminded me that I'd already planted 4 of the plants before she arrived and I had 1 empty square. We bought that Jubilee while she was here and she says I didn't put any eggshells in that hole. (I must've not had any shells saved at that time). I don't remember, but if she's right that would explain why it's only effecting this one plant! Mystery solved!
SFG in Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 7/26/2010, 4:02 pm

Does it have to be raw milk?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/26/2010, 4:35 pm

martha wrote:Does it have to be raw milk?
I don't think it matters. She buys the raw milk at a local dairy farm mostly to support the farm.
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/26/2010, 5:45 pm

What kind of TUMS do you use? I can't seem to find any plain flavored ones. The closest I can get is wintergreen regular.

I found four of my Opalka paste tomatoes with brown tips. I'm not sure it blossom end rot, it's only the tip, which on an Opalka is a very pronounced nipple. It may be just the wicked heat we've had!

Pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/27/2010, 1:13 pm

pattipan wrote:What kind of TUMS do you use? I can't seem to find any plain flavored ones. The closest I can get is wintergreen regular.

I found four of my Opalka paste tomatoes with brown tips. I'm not sure it blossom end rot, it's only the tip, which on an Opalka is a very pronounced nipple. It may be just the wicked heat we've had!

Bumping this topic to the top again. Anyone have an answer to my TUMS question??

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 7/27/2010, 1:28 pm

I've been using Kirkland (from Costco) brand antacid tablets... Calcium Carbonate 500mg Fruit Flavor. I don't think wintergreen would be a problem, and probably would be better than the fruit flavor, but that's what I had in the house.

The label says:

Each tablet contains calcium 215 mg and magnesium 5 mg.

Inactive ingredients: adipic acid, dextrose, FD&C blue #1, FD&C red #40, FD&C yellow #5 (tartrazine), FD&C yellow #6, flavors, maltodextrin, mineral oil, polyethylene glycol, powdered cellulose, talc.

I don't know how bad the colors are, or the polyethylene glycol, but otherwise, I think it's all okay stuff. Maybe the wintergreen would be better, as a matter of fact, since it probably uses wintergreen oil, instead of the amorphous "flavors"

I put one tablet in each hole when I planted my tomatoes, and I've dissolved four tablets in a gallon of water for supplement once a week for my 12 plants. So far, most of my tomatoes are doing well, though only the Stupice has ripened at all. My Mortgage Lifter isn't happy, and I'll probably pull that one soon - it has one fruit on it, and the leaves are turning yellow and curling up. The rest of the plants seem pretty good - nice green foliage, and setting fruit (except for Mr. Stripey).
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/27/2010, 4:44 pm

Thanks, Wyldflower! That's basically what I needed to know. I haven't found any more brown tips on my Opalkas, but I may give them a little calcium anyway.

I still have not got a ripe tomato yet, other than the Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. The Opalkas and WV 63's are hanging thick, but no sign of red yet! That's pretty typical though, in previous years most of the tomato harvest and canning has been in August and September.

Pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

tomato and pepper with blossom end rot Empty Blossom End Rot

Post  Mom2Four 7/27/2010, 4:53 pm

We had that problem last year. I asked at our local nursery and she said they just need calcium. She sold me a spray for $6.00 called BLOSSOM SET by Dexol. I went home and sprayed this years' plants, especially the blossoms. They have produced perfect tomatoes in the same location as last year. I think she said it adds calcium to the plant and should be use for plants already established since adding it to the soil wouldn't solve the problem in time.

FYI
Mom2Four
Mom2Four

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/27/2010, 6:23 pm

I just ground up a whole bunch of Tums and sprinkled them on the soil, then watered well. Not sure if it was that or dumb luck, but I don't seem to be getting BER on my squash anymore.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  El 7/27/2010, 8:06 pm

camprn wrote:
martha wrote:Does it have to be raw milk?
I don't think it matters. She buys the raw milk at a local dairy farm mostly to support the farm.

You're right, it doesn't matter. Powdered milk, mixed about half as weak as you would if you wanted to drink the stuff, and sprayed over the leaves and/or watered into the soil, works just as well (and you can get it in organic form). Milk is a good natural fungicide for powdery mildew and a couple kinds of fungal blight.
El
El

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 8/6/2010, 3:09 pm

I would just like to update that I added crushed eggshells around the affected tomato and fed it some milk a couple of times. It seems to have solved the problem, all of the newer tomatoes on that plant are free of BER. Mom told me back before I first planted that she used to have a bad problem with BER and since she started adding eggshells when she plants she never has BER anymore. As usual Mom was right!
SFG in Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down