Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help!  Garden is not producing at all! Toplef10Help!  Garden is not producing at all! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help!  Garden is not producing at all! I22gcj10Help!  Garden is not producing at all! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help!  Garden is not producing at all! Toplef10Help!  Garden is not producing at all! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help!  Garden is not producing at all! I22gcj10Help!  Garden is not producing at all! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:59 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 5/12/2024, 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere 5/12/2024, 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help! Garden is not producing at all!

2 posters

Go down

Help!  Garden is not producing at all! Empty Help! Garden is not producing at all!

Post  TheFamousStacie 7/6/2010, 9:05 am

Hi y'all! I'm Stacie and this is my first SFG. I got the book and followed all the steps. I am learning as I go.

My tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and okra are all growing beautifully. Large beautiful plants, only no fruits or veggies! They are covered with blossoms and the blossoms all dry up and fall off with out making fruit.

I can't figure out why everything is growing, but nothing is producing. Please help!

Your apparently black thumbed friend~
TheFamousStacie

Back to top Go down

Help!  Garden is not producing at all! Empty Problems

Post  ander217 7/6/2010, 9:57 am

My guess would be that either the temperatures or humidity are too high for the flowers to pollinate, or else you don't have enough bees or insects to do the pollinating.

Bees don't work as much in hot weather, either. You might try shaking your plants or using a small watercolor brush or q-tip to hand pollinate the flowers yourself - in the morning just dab pollen from one newly-opened flower to another. Squash and cucumbers have separate male and female flowers - the females have a tiny fruit growing before the flower, while male flowers have just a stem and flower. Squash and cucumbers typically have a flush of male flowers before they begin producing females flowers, so you may have to wait a couple of weeks before both are produced at the same time.

If the flowers are drying up because of high temperature or humidity, they should do fine once the weather moderates. Consistently high temps above the mid-80's can cause tomato blossom drop, and even a day of 100+ temps can do it. High night temps are bad too, because the plant doesn't have a chance to recover from the stress of the day's heat. If the humidity is high, do not get water on the leaves during the day, it just makes it worse.

There are tomato hybrids bred specifically to handle high heat and humidity, but I've never tried growing them. I usually get mine out in time to get a fruit set before the temps get too high, and those continue to ripen during the hot summer, then more flowers set during the odd summer days when the weather cools.

Hang in there!
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Help!  Garden is not producing at all! Empty @ ander217

Post  TheFamousStacie 7/6/2010, 10:16 am

@ander217 - Thanks for the information. I checked up on some of the things you mentioned. I see that my cucumber plants are covered in male flowers at this point. Not a female anywhere, so maybe there is still hope.

The tomatoes may be suffering from the heat. I've been dabbing at them with a paint brush; I've tried watering with apple juice; I tried watering with water mixed with epsom salts, I've shaken them .... They just don't want to make tomatoes. : (

The squash seems to have some female flowers. I finally caught one open this morning to try to pollenate with the male flower.

I'm finding that gardening has a steep learning curve and I appreciate all the information I can get! THAnks!!!!
TheFamousStacie

Back to top Go down

Help!  Garden is not producing at all! Empty Re: Help! Garden is not producing at all!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down