Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 Toplef10Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 I22gcj10Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 Toplef10Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 I22gcj10Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Recycling newspaper => starter pots

+13
Hip2B
nancy
Odd Duck
quiltbea
Jeff Buffington
titans01
jerzyjen
Daynannan
boffer
Lavender Debs
Patty from Yorktown
WardinWake
Cross_stitcher
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 Empty Re: Recycling newspaper => starter pots

Post  OhioGardener 5/11/2022, 8:56 am

Hip2B wrote: Does the paper deteriorate quickly enough to not impede the growth of the vegetable.

Yes, it does. In fact, the paper bottoms will often be decomposed before you are ready to transplant them.

I am especially interested in whether there are issues using them for root vegetables such as carrots, onions etc.

Root crops, such as carrots and beets, do not appreciate being disturbed once they have developed their roots. Their developing roots don't transplant well, and it is much better to direct sow them. Disturbing them will most often result in deformed roots.

I have had a very high success with the germination rate of carrots and beets by covering the seeds with cardboard or wood after the seeds are planted and watered. The cover will keep the seeds damp, and they will germinate much better.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Recycling newspaper => starter pots - Page 2 Empty Re: Recycling newspaper => starter pots

Post  markqz 5/11/2022, 10:20 am

Hip2B wrote:Just bumping this thread.
Due to limited bed space, I would rather plant seedlings into my squares than deal with the uncertainty of direct seeding. I am trialling using a paper pot maker to save money on peat pots etc and reduce transplant stress on my seedlings. Does anyone else use paper pots? I am especially interested in whether there are issues using them for root vegetables such as carrots, onions etc. Does the paper deteriorate quickly enough to not impede the growth of the vegetable.
I start almost everything that's not a root crop in pots made from small yogurt containers. I found that peat pots didn't actually dissolve very well. In one of the older SFG books, I think Mel makes the same point.

Edit -- found the reference:
Square Foot Gardening 1981 p. 177 wrote:1981 Square Foot Gardening p. 177

Of course, there are also many homemade or recycled containers you can use for seedlings. My favorite are waxed cardboard yogurt cups, with drainage holes punches in the bottom with a pencil, screwdriver, or ballpoint pen. You can plant cup and all in the garden by just tearing out the bottom when it's time to plant; the sides and rim even become an automatic cutworm collar. I like them much better than peat pots. In fact, I find peat pots to be a distinct disadvantage, unless the entire pot is removed for planting. The top rim of the peat forms a wick and draws a lot of moisture out of the ground and away from the foots. In addition, I find that roots do not readily grow through these pots as they are assumed to.

Last edited by markqz on 5/11/2022, 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Formatting.)
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2022, 2:02 pm

Peat pots were my bain. The upper rim acted like a drying wick like Mel described. In fact, I started removing the whole peat pot as they were compressed peat and only added to the peat ratio in the Mel's Mix. Today when I have to buy a nursery start, I gently remove as much of the peat moss/coir/perlite mix as I can so I don't add anything unwanted to the MM.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hip2B 5/11/2022, 11:12 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will know to steer away from paper pots for root vegetables. Also from peat pots Smile
Hip2B
Hip2B

Female Posts : 55
Location : Burnie, Tasmania, Australia (Cool Climate / Zone 9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2