Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What material are people using for their boxes? Toplef10What material are people using for their boxes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What material are people using for their boxes? I22gcj10What material are people using for their boxes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What material are people using for their boxes? Toplef10What material are people using for their boxes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What material are people using for their boxes? I22gcj10What material are people using for their boxes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What material are people using for their boxes?

+10
Kabaju42
argardener
trukrebew
martha
SirTravers
organicgardeningzen.com
Retired Member 1
Patty from Yorktown
camprn
Sonya
14 posters

Go down

What material are people using for their boxes? Empty What material are people using for their boxes?

Post  Sonya 4/15/2010, 9:35 pm

Hello,

I am new here (and at gardening) and very excited to try the SFG method this spring.

I know the choice of material one can use to make those boxes, I would just be interested to see what most people used and read about their experiences with it. My concern is that regular pine would rot fairly quickly having the soil right up against it. Should i cover the inside of the board with plastic to prevent that? What about cinder blocks? Has anybody used them?

Are you all sticking to the 6" height? I was wondering if it wouldn't make sense to increase the height to maybe 2', still put "Mel's Mix" only in the top 6" (regular topsoil or whatever below, doesn't matter) but this way one wouldn't have to bend so much... Has anybody tried that?

Thank you very much for your input,
Sonya
Sonya

Back to top Go down

What material are people using for their boxes? Empty Re: What material are people using for their boxes?

Post  camprn 4/15/2010, 9:52 pm

I'm using simple 2"x 8" planed but untreated pine for my 4'x4' boxes, held together w/ 3.5" deck screws; they should last me several years. My mix goes to about 6 inch depth.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What material are people using for their boxes? Empty Re: What material are people using for their boxes?

Post  Patty from Yorktown 4/15/2010, 10:03 pm

I have used a variety of lumber for boxes. I am happiest with the 2x6 or 2x8 boxes, however I also have recycled wooden fence in 1x6 and 1x4 (used 2 layers), recycled 2x2's (that is a pretty box with 3 layers.) Some of my boxes are treated lumber, some are not and some are painted. I really enjoy the painted boxes as they are bright colors. My oldest painted boxes are starting to die off at the 6 year range. That is how I decided I was a true square foot gardener...I had to replace some boxes due to old age. No reason you should avoid cinder block. I was a carpenter for a number of years and I know wood, not stone. Hope this helps.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/15/2010, 10:28 pm

Mine are all made from found or scrap material, but most are untreated 2x8s. A few are 1 by which I reinforced with stakes every 2'. I'll eventually be bricking around them, so really don't care about whether they rot away in a few years or not.

Someone (Boffer?) used cinderblocks and apparently they work very well. The height would be perfect and you'd have all those 6x6" holes to fill up all around.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

What material are people using for their boxes? Empty I built taller than specified and used Trex composite planks

Post  organicgardeningzen.com 4/15/2010, 10:30 pm

When I built my beds last spring, I was skeptical of only 6" height. I was also worried that leftover grass roots (I pulled up the sod, but not perfectly) would easily make their way through only 6". So I built with 11 1/2" height, and it's working just fine for me. I built my beds with some leftover Trex decking planks from a friends deck project. I worried about using a non-biodegradable material when I was wrestling with what to build with, but felt a little better after I learned that Trex is made from 95% recycled materials:

Trex composite products are made of a unique combination of wood and plastic fibers. The exclusive Trex composite formula brings together the best qualities of wood and plastic to create a superior alternative to wood. Trex gets its plastic and wood fibers from reclaimed or recycled resources. Including sawdust and used pallets from woodworking operations, and recycled plastic grocery bags from all over the country.

• Plastic shields the wood from moisture and insect damage, preventing rotting and splintering.
  • Wood protects the plastic from UV damage while providing a natural, attractive look and feel.

It will not rot or deteriorate due to harsh weather or insects. Trex is splinter-free. It contains no toxic chemicals or preservatives. Trex resists damage from moisture and sunlight, making it the natural choice for outdoor applications."

Aside from one glitch in construction (the 11 1/2" wide planks weren't as stiff as wood and so we had to drive stakes at 2 foot intervals to attach the planks to to keep the box from bowing under pressure from the dirt), I am very happy with how the Trex looks and performs.

Oh, and my beds are 3 ft wide by 12 feet long.
organicgardeningzen.com
organicgardeningzen.com

Female Posts : 31

http://www.organicgardeningzen.com

Back to top Go down

What material are people using for their boxes? Empty recycling older boards

Post  SirTravers 4/15/2010, 10:44 pm

I'm using some redwood boards that I recycled from an older raised bed I was building. No sense buying new wood if I don't have to.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/16/2010, 10:54 pm

I made boxes with pine last year, because there was a lot of scrap pine available. I didn't know what to expect from them. This year they are weather worn, but still extremely serviceable and I do not expect to have to replace any this year. Which is good, because I want to ADD this year, not replace! What material are people using for their boxes? Icon_biggrin
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 4/16/2010, 11:18 pm

I've built mine out of old tongue-and-groove floor boards from a neighbor. They'd already been out in her open yard for over a year before I got them and are likely aged 30+ years old. The sides of each box is 1 1/2 boards high, just about 8". I'll put 2" of topsoil and then 6" of Mel's Mix. I don't know how long they will last, but I'm happy to scour craigslist and freecycle for other cast-offs if I need to replace any.

Even though I think they are oak and should be pretty strong, and feel somewhat petrified (sorta), I'm now concerned about the longest sides bowing out once I add the dirt. I have one 8-foot box and two 6-foot boxes. For those that staked their long sides, did you stake on the outside or screw a stake to the inside?
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  argardener 4/16/2010, 11:30 pm

I have one 4' x 8' box made of reclaimed 1" x 8" pine, this is its 2nd year. FYI...if using wood, make sure to brace them well on the corners to prevent them from bowing. I also had a 4' x 4' bed made of 4"x8"x16" cinder blocks ($1.09 ea at Lowes) that I used for tomatoes last year and they did great. I have expanded this year with more cinder block. I like the look of wood better, but find the blocks more affordable/durable at this time.

Rebecca
argardener

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 4/16/2010, 11:48 pm

@argardener: How do you brace the corners? I just nailed my boards flush 90 degrees.
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 4/17/2010, 12:28 am

Last year I took apart some bare wood shelves that were in my house when I bought it. I don't know how old they are, but I'm sure it's in the decades range. They're about 10" x 1" and I've made two 4x4 boxes and a 5' octagon out of them this year. They'll probably need to be replace in a couple years, but for the price they can't be beat!

For the bracing, I just did butt-end joints on the 4x4 boxes with about 4 screws on each corner, and they've been just fine. Oddly enough on the octagon I did some bracing that I thought would be better, but they've started bowing. So I think that the butt-end joint (flush @90 degrees) is fine
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/17/2010, 1:03 am

I'm using 1"x6" Trex composite for my boxes - I picked some up really cheap from someone on Craigslist. At this point I have a 3x6 box, a 4x7 box and a 1x2 box - And I have two more 12' boards to use - that'll make another 3x6 box and another 1x2. I'm butt-joining the corners. With the composite, I don't have to worry about splitting. I'm fastening the corners with 2-1/2" construction screws. I would like to make nice, neat-looking corners and I'm trying to find pieces like THESE but not costing a fortune. I've been looking at the box store, but the guy there didn't seem to understand what I'm looking for. The next time, I'll bring a picture with me.

I've also got a 4x4 cinderblock bed, which I'm using for my potato patch.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/17/2010, 2:03 am

Wyldflower wrote:I'm trying to find pieces like THESE

Wowsers, you're going to have more invested in pretty corners than you are in Mel's mix and box material! thinking

Cheaper alternatives:

If it's strength you're looking for, get Simpson angle ties. They go on the inside of the corner and don't show. Something like this.

If it's cosmetic, get 2 inch angle flashing in brown, to cover the outside corners. Something like this only in brown without the lip-common stuff. Big box stores carry both.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/17/2010, 11:46 am

I may just use both of your ideas, Bof.... the angle ties for strength AND the flashing for pretty. The strength is really the more important aspect, so I'll take a look at those Simpson ties - are they among the decking hardware section? (But I do want pretty, too!)

Thanks!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/17/2010, 12:29 pm

Usually in the lumber department is a big section of 'Simpson ties". They're what holds houses together these days! Thin, light, strong, galvanized, relatively cheap.

The flashing is usually in the roofing department. Typically 10 foot lengths. You'll need tin snips to cut them.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/17/2010, 12:31 pm

Smile thanks, Boffer.... Yep... I have tinsnips (My friends call me "toolchick")
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/17/2010, 12:39 pm

Good for you on the tools! Early on in our marriage, I had to start buying my wife her own sawzall, 18v drill, etc. because once she figured out how to use mine, there was no getting them back from her! She really liked being able to fix/make things with more than just duct tape, baling wire, and a hammer.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/18/2010, 12:12 pm

In spring 2009 when I begain SFG, I couldn't find untreated cedar in my area but found a lumber mill and got 2 x 12s in spruce. I hope they last some years in my cold climate, but it will have to do.

I'm just thrilled to be able to begin with raised beds.
What material are people using for their boxes? 4-27-010
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 4/18/2010, 1:05 pm

boffer wrote:Good for you on the tools! Early on in our marriage, I had to start buying my wife her own sawzall, 18v drill, etc. because once she figured out how to use mine, there was no getting them back from her! She really liked being able to fix/make things with more than just duct tape, baling wire, and a hammer.

For our second anniversary, my husband got me a Craftsmans cordless drill(june)... for that birthday (august) my parents got me a matching cordless circular saw... that Christmas my ILs got me a chop saw... yes about 50% of the tools we have are mine What material are people using for their boxes? Icon_twisted
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down