Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
sweet potato question Toplef10sweet potato question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

sweet potato question I22gcj10sweet potato question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
sweet potato question Toplef10sweet potato question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

sweet potato question I22gcj10sweet potato question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

sweet potato question

+42
murarrie25
FamilyGardening
yolos
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
cheyannarach
LittleGardener
Reikifarm7
Bobbi
littlejo
ericam
1airdoc
squaredeal
sherryeo
Vanessa
Denese
Squat_Johnson
capatl
braim5
Nonna.PapaVino
tnirisgirl
NaturesApprentice
Goosegirl
boffer
ModernDayBetty
sceleste54
Glendale-gardener
pattipan
clfraser
Smartchick
kiwirose
LaFee
kimbertangleknot
Lindacol
mrsfish94
miinva
ribsyhuggins
Megan
Furbalsmom
camprn
ander217
Chopper
46 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

sweet potato question Empty sweet potato question

Post  Chopper 6/3/2010, 12:28 am

Just when I thought the experiment was a failure, I noticed that my sweet potatoes were starting to sprout.

sweet potato question Sweet_10
The question is, what exactly do you plant. Do I slice the whole thing in half lengthwise and plant the whole thing or do I cut out the section with the growth and plant it? Or do I cut the vine of of the potato and plant it? I am unsure exactly what constitutes the "slip".

I read where you are supposed to wait until the vine is 6-8 inches long also. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

sweet potato question Empty Re: sweet potato question

Post  Chopper 6/4/2010, 6:37 pm

It took some time, but I got my answer. I think.

Once the potato sprouts you let it grow to about 6" or so and then cut it off near the potato. That is the slip and that is what you plant. From what I gather you can plant them directly into the soil - covering about 3 nodes in the process.

If anyone finds errors in this info, please let me know.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

sweet potato question Empty sweet potato slips

Post  ander217 6/4/2010, 9:43 pm

I don't know if this is the correct way or not, but the way we do ours is to place the end of a large, long sweet potato in a wide-rimmed pint jar and keep the water level up to the rim of the jar. I don't bother with the toothpicks. It will begin sprouting above the water line, mainly at the top end, and the part under water will grow roots.

We wait until the slips/sprouts/vines grow four or five inches long on the mother root, then snap them off and put them in water until they grow roots. (It doesn't take long, but they will keep growing longer as long as you don't let them go dry.) Once they've grown roots you can either transplant them to pots, or if the weather's warm enough, put them directly in the garden. The mother root will keep producing shoots for months. (We got 24 slips from one potato, stretched over about four months.) I've never tried putting unrooted slips right into the ground, so I can't say if it works or not, but they root pretty quickly in water, so as long as you keep the soil well watered it may work fine.

We had to keep replacing our plants in the garden due to vole damage until we finally had nothing left but the mother root which was still putting out a few shoots even though the root end had nearly rotted away in the water. We took it to the garden and buried it, and it is now producing vines, too. It had been in water since December. That's way too early to start slips, but it's the only potato we had left from an heirloom variety and we wanted to make certain we got plenty of slips from it. That's why we had to keep pulling off the slips and rooting them, then transplanting those to pots while the mother put out more slips.

I had one slip which grew very long before I snapped it from the mother root. I cut it in two, pulled a few leaves away from the cut end, and popped both slips into water, where they both rooted. So, it's not difficult at all to get sweet potato slips to root.

After a rough spring with unexpected drops in temperature and major vole damage, our sweet potato vines are finally starting to take off in the garden. At harvest we'll see if all the harsh treatment weakened them or made them stronger.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

sweet potato question Empty Experiment

Post  ander217 6/4/2010, 9:46 pm

As an experiment I put the leaves I pulled from the cut stem into water to see if they would root. They took longer but they rooted too! But I didn't try planting them because I thought they would make weak plants. Maybe I should have tried at least one to complete the experiment.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/4/2010, 9:51 pm

Thanks. That is very helpful. I will let you know how it goes. Mine will go in a tad late, but here in so cal autumn is often the warmest time of year so I am not too worried and we rarely see a frost before December in this little microclimate. I would love to have fresh sweet potatoes (or garden harvested anyway) for Thanksgiving.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/31/2010, 6:25 pm

Growing Sweet Potato Slips I Wet My Plants
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/1/2011, 10:54 pm

How funny and also informative. I may try to grow slips in the spring, even though sweet potatoes don't grow well here, it will be fun to try.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/1/2011, 11:42 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:How funny and also informative. I may try to grow slips in the spring, even though sweet potatoes don't grow well here, it will be fun to try.

I t would behoove you to start them as early as possible. It took forever for my slips to grow - I almost threw them out because I thought they were just not going to sprout. And once they started to grow it took awhile until they were big enough. They need a long growing season so you want it in the ground asap once warm. Just my experience.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/2/2011, 12:21 am

Thanks Chopper. I'll be buying sweet potatoes next week anyhow, so I will pick up a couple extra to try for some slips
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/2/2011, 4:44 am

What a neat thread. Hm... I have a couple of sweet potatoes sitting around, too. Sounds like a fun project for January. I'm in!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ribsyhuggins 1/2/2011, 6:12 am

for those of you in north you can grow sweet potatoes. there was and article I on how to do it . I will post the article it when find it. it can't be that hard but i think you will need bed deeper then 6 inches bed to do it and get good results.
ribsyhuggins

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/2/2011, 10:46 am

Did anyone who tried slips get sweet potatoes at harvest time? We grew some but they didn't seem to like Mel's Mix very much. There's an elderly man just around the corner who sells slips every year and he claims that they're from sweet potatoes that are a special heirloom variety that he's grown for decades, but the potatoes we got were fairly inedible. Sweet potatoes are a tropical vine (from what I read, anyway) so I would think we could grow them here in Virginia. We've talked about putting a bed together that's sandy specifically for sweet potatoes, but we'll see if we get it together this year Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/2/2011, 5:21 pm

miinva wrote:Did anyone who tried slips get sweet potatoes at harvest time?

I planted 5 slips in a 2X2 box of mel's mix. I had more sweet potatoes than I knew what to do with and they crowded the box.

They need about 100 days to grow. I planted mine late and picked by digging into the dirt from about September and pulled everything out at Thanksgiving. LOTS of SPs small and large. Gave them away. Took them with me back east. Just had the last one. Had I been able to leave them in the ground longer I might well have had more big ones.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/2/2011, 8:57 pm

Talk about kismet! Tonight I found a bag with four little white sweet potatoes that we forgot about after buying them at the farmer's market, and they're sprouting! I put them in a tray of water. If I get slips I'll definitely plant them Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/3/2011, 5:32 am

miinva wrote:Did anyone who tried slips get sweet potatoes at harvest time?

Miinva,

A friend who lives near here tried them last year. They planted several. All but one failed, but the one that succeeded did very well. No idea why the trouble, as planting conditions seemed to be identical. Good luck with yours!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/14/2011, 6:10 pm

On January 3,
Chopper wrote:
Furbalsmom wrote:How funny and also informative. I may try to grow slips in the spring, even though sweet potatoes don't grow well here, it will be fun to try.

I t would behoove you to start them as early as possible. It took forever for my slips to grow - I almost threw them out because I thought they were just not going to sprout. And once they started to grow it took awhile until they were big enough. They need a long growing season so you want it in the ground asap once warm. Just my experience.

Just started one sweet potato today, January 14th. Hope I have enough time to get slips and then root them.
Probably won't want to plant them until late May when the ground warms a bit. Last frost date is April 4 but it stays so cool here.
I stuck them in the jar stem end up (I think) seemed logical, any other thoughts?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/14/2011, 8:15 pm

That's what I did, but I've never grown them before.
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/14/2011, 8:19 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:On January 3,
Chopper wrote:

Just started one sweet potato today, January 14th. Hope I have enough time to get slips and then root them.
Probably won't want to plant them until late May when the ground warms a bit. Last frost date is April 4 but it stays so cool here.
I stuck them in the jar stem end up (I think) seemed logical, any other thoughts?

Well, that's what I did! We'll see what happens. I started two in mason jars with water... one "white", and one orange.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/14/2011, 8:20 pm

I put a little sticker on the jar so I would remember when I set it up.
Dates just seem to run together and I might think it was a month when it was only a week.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/14/2011, 8:41 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:I put a little sticker on the jar so I would remember when I set it up.
Dates just seem to run together and I might think it was a month when it was only a week.
funny post silly me
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

sweet potato question Empty Starting dates

Post  ander217 1/15/2011, 7:42 am

I had just the opposite problem with mine last year. I placed mine in the jar in late December, and they sprouted so quickly that they grew too large before planting time. I had to transplant mine to potting mix and keep them going in the house until the weather warmed.

I started mine with a sweet potato I had raised myself. Do you think the ones from the store might have something sprayed on them to delay sprouting?
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/15/2011, 10:28 am

I think the grocery store sweet potatoes are treated some way to delay sprouting. One site I looked at suggested they were heat treated. But, I have had them sprout in storage. This one was not sprouted at all, so we will see, I guess. I will have my indoor seeding station up soon, so I guess I can pot them up for a bit if they sprout too soon. Thanks for that thought, 'cause it lets me have another plan in place for just in case.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

sweet potato question Empty I have roots!

Post  Furbalsmom 1/30/2011, 12:39 pm

On January 14th, I placed my store bought sweet potato in a regular mouth pint pickle jar (don't do that, listen to those who have tried this before and use wide mouth jars) when the SP started taking up water, it swelled just enough that I had trouble removing it from the jar, so I moved it into a wide mouthed jar a week ago.

Of course these six little roots are teeny tiny but they showed up on the 28th, just 14 days! bounce

I am determined to get some slips and grow SP even though the Oregon extension service says they don't grow here on the coast, due to the cool, foggy, damp weather we have during the summer.

Our normal summer temps are in the mid 60's to the 70's. We rarely get temps in the 80's so I am planning to make at least one of my TT with a covered wagon. That is the type of protection recommended by the Extension Service for eggplant and peppers. Does anyone think the SP would benefit from a covered wagon to keep them a little warmer? Or, should I just take my chances and put the slips in another bed with Mel's Mix and see what happens? Still working on my planting plan.

My TT will be 10 inches deep (that is the size of the free wood I got) but I plan to fill it with just 8 inches of MM.

Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/30/2011, 10:03 pm

I have no idea. But, if you get enough slips, try it both ways! Very Happy

I don't have any shoots on my sweet potato yet, but I just changed the water on the jar and it's got some big ol' roots going on, so I have hopes!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

sweet potato question Empty would love to try sweet potatoes

Post  mrsfish94 2/5/2011, 10:16 pm

I would love to try growing sweet potatoes. I had wondered how to start them.

Do the Nurseries have seed potatoes or can I just use one from the store?
mrsfish94
mrsfish94

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next