Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Toplef10Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. I22gcj10Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Toplef10Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. I22gcj10Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 2:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma Yesterday at 2:04 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 8/29/2024, 8:32 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding.

+6
chocolatepop
Ha-v-v
timwardell
Chopper
Squat_Johnson
camprn
10 posters

Go down

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Empty Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding.

Post  Guest 5/25/2010, 1:35 pm

Hello,

I am helping my friends with applying the SFG principles to their yard in time for their wedding.

The wedding is August 8th, 2010. This coming Sunday, May 30th is when we begin building and planting. We have a question please:

They are mostly into edibles (not so much flowers, but a few flowers would be nice for color). My friends want some viney edibles to grow up along the 6 foot fence, and we are wondering what viney edibles will grow fast enough to be a few feet high by August 8th?

In general, what grows fast, so we can have more growth in this short time frame?

Thank you so much!

Julian
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Empty Re: Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding.

Post  camprn 5/25/2010, 1:42 pm

Please supply your location.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14136

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Empty Wedding is in Fresno, California.

Post  Guest 5/25/2010, 2:12 pm

Fresno, CA
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Empty vines

Post  Squat_Johnson 5/25/2010, 2:36 pm

Cucumbers and pole beans would be good ones. They should be more than a couple feet (maturity is like 55-65 days). If you check your local plant stores they might have some starts for cucumbers.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Empty Re: Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding.

Post  Chopper 5/25/2010, 2:49 pm

Any melon would be at least that high by then. Pole beans and cukes as stated. Vining tomatoes. June through August would see any plant in Fresno - or almost anywhere in the US go from baby to pickable in that time barring catastrophe.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2464
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Empty Thank you CampRN, Blue, and Chopper!

Post  Guest 5/25/2010, 2:56 pm

Thank you CampRN, Blue, and Chopper!!!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/25/2010, 3:10 pm

Nasturtiums - they are colorful, edible (flowers and leaves), and there are varieties that grow 6-8' tall.

Here's one (and I'm sure you could find others - most Lowes & Home Depot carry both vine and bush varieties).
http://www.burpee.com/product/annual+flowers/nasturtium/nasturtium+fordhook+favorites+mix++-+1+pkt.+%2830+seeds%29.do
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/25/2010, 3:23 pm

Scarlet runner beans have a lovely red flower and are edible Smile Im growing them because I like red Smile and in good soil they seem to take off, as opposed to last year and my sad soil Smile I found my scarlet runner beans I believe at walmart.
I have found it cheaper on amazon 55 seeds for 2 something. The site I posted says they can grow to 12-15 ft. I have a friend that would take the scarlet runner bean and make tee pees for her grands. I plan on making a tee pee for my youngest to "like" the garden.
And this sounds so great.
I used attend Ft. Miller Jr High a long long long time ago Smile My oldest friend still lives there Smile The wedding sounds just lovely Smile
Happy Gardening
Ha-v-v
Scarlet Runner Bean Info
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1119
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 5/25/2010, 3:35 pm

sweet potato vines also (get the actual sweet potato slips).
any bean, cuke, melon, pumpkin, squash. Those purple beans would look neat.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SirTravers 5/25/2010, 3:50 pm

You could put edible flowers in the front squares. They provide a lot of color and are edible also. It's always kinda whimsical to pick a flower and start eating it as it get some of the funniest reactions. CLICK HERE For a good page on edible flowers that should give you some fun ideas.

Last edited by SirTravers on 5/25/2010, 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited link text for clarity)
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 5/25/2010, 3:58 pm

What about some annual vining flowers? Mix them in with the veggies for "pretty."

Claire Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 759

Back to top Go down

Post  semiuseless 5/25/2010, 4:14 pm

You could try a "three sisters" planting: corn, pole beans, and squash. If desired, replace the corn with sunflowers to use as a support for the beans.
semiuseless
semiuseless

Male Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Need help in applying SFG to a yard for a wedding. Empty Summer wedding in Fresno CA

Post  sanderson 4/21/2013, 11:42 pm

I live in Fresno and this is my first year of SFG. I am definitely not the expert but at least I live in Zone 9b. To ensure a "bountiful" garden for the occasion, you may want to skip seeds except for sugar peas or other beans or peas. My sugar peas have pretty pink flowers. Maybe petunias in the front rows, depending on the color theme, if that's important. Or "edible flowers such as pansies. I put Sluggos safe snail bait all around my petunias so they had a chance to survive! My cabbages are starting to shape like cabbages. Maybe supplement with landscape cabbages. My tomatoes are trained vertically. See You Tube "Grow Your Garden" for vertical information. My Early Girl is the most splendid, with 7 vertical clusters of tomatoes on the main stalk. Each bunch will mature at different times. Don't forget sun shade when we get the heat waves. Bell and hot peppers because they come in different colors.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21614

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down