Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Toplef10Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! I22gcj10Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Toplef10Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! I22gcj10Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year!

+11
timwardell
new2this
carolintexas
shocks20
Megan
Chopper
Sweetmama
junequilt
milaneyjane
ColoradoNatureGirl
jkdistad
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Empty Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year!

Post  jkdistad 5/24/2010, 2:06 pm

Hi all! I hope every body's gardens are growing well! I just wanted to share a few pics of my garden in process.... we are doubling it in size from what it was last year. Thanks for looking!

This is the original garden plot from last year. Isn't that fence just terrible? It had no gate to speak of... I would just lift the front right stake and lay the fence aside, and then jam it back into place when going and coming in the garden... at least it kept out the varmints! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_rendeer The chives have come up nicely, in this pic, and the snap peas have JUST been planted.
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4412

Old fence removed and new fence posts in place! Lovely weeds, eh? Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_tongue Here the rest of the squares have all been planted with carrots, onions, scallions, leeks, kohlrabi, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, marigold seeds, and viola seeds (which tried and couldn't, apparently).
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4714

Newly built boxes, awaiting greatness! Thanks goes to DH for being my handiman! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_biggrin
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4715

New fence, installed by yours truly, complete with respectable gate, built by yours truly, with working latch! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_cool The weeds are nearly all trimmed.
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4716

As of today.... The weed cloth is down and the perimeter is lined with bricks (something Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino has Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino been Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino sneaking Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino under Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino and Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino snacking) to help discouraged freeloaders. Now I just need to place the boxes, fill and plant, oh yeah, and get more wood chips - free, hopefully. A lot of the local parks that usually offer free wood chips have stopped this year due to a bad ash borer infestation.
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4717
jkdistad
jkdistad

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Empty Re: Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year!

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 5/24/2010, 2:17 pm

Looks great! You and your hubby are very handy and doing a great job!
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/24/2010, 2:26 pm

I love it!! It is so neat and tidy! I would love a nice flat space like that. And great job on the fence Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_cheers
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/24/2010, 2:32 pm

Thanks! I'm quite proud of that fence... hehe! I did by myself while DH was away on a business trip... got quite the sunburn on my shoulders and the top of my back while at it, too, and got razzed by my MIL about skin cancer and sunscreen! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_sunny Oops... Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_razz
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 5/24/2010, 6:54 pm

Beautiful job!
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Empty MN SFG

Post  Sweetmama 5/24/2010, 7:10 pm

Your garden area is awesome. I think you did a great job on your fence too. I am visiting MN this week. Hubby and I are staying at McQuoids on Lake Mille Lacs or Mille Lacs Lake. Anyway, this is a beautiful area. We came through Minneapolis on the way up, so you must be fairly close to here.? I watched for gardens on the drive. Are most people in this area just planting? (too many questions!)

Happy gardening!

PS Take care of that sunburn!
Sweetmama
Sweetmama

Female Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/24/2010, 8:24 pm

Very cool. Are you going to have a two tiered box? It is really coming along.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/24/2010, 8:33 pm

Alright.... how did you secure your round-and-round strings to your tipi??? Enquiring minds want to know! Very Happy (And, what a beautiful garden!!)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  shocks20 5/24/2010, 11:26 pm

Looks amazing!! I love the boxes at an angle too! I also had to put bricks around the edge of part of my fence to keep the dog out!
shocks20
shocks20

http://www.jtrbaby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carolintexas 5/25/2010, 3:06 am

Lovely garden and good job on the fence! I especially like your garden box with the deeper boxes at the corners. Very attractive!
carolintexas

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 5/25/2010, 9:14 am

Great fence....very nice!
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/25/2010, 9:39 am

Can't wait to see it with the new beds in place and filled with growing plants! Looks great. Very Happy
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/25/2010, 11:59 am

Wow! Such lovely compliments for my humble little garden! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! 109486

Junequilt, thank you! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_smile

Sweetmama, welcome to MN! What brought you here? We are having quite the sticky weather this week... don't know if it's sticky on the lake where you are, but the Twin Cities sure are humid! Yes, MN is quite beautiful, what with all of its lakes and whatnot... I ADORE the north shore of Lake Superior... just gorgeous! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Herz I'm not a native Minnesotan, but I like it well enough to have lived here for over 10 yrs. now. Yeah, a lot of folks around here don't do much planting until around Mother's Day and/or Memorial Day.... those two weekends see a lot of yard/garden work. Mother's Day can be iffy though, as it's still possible to get frosts around then.

Chopper, the three extra small boxes are for my tomatoes to give them a little extra leg room, and the other 2x4 box is the "high-rise" for my potatoes and parsnips, which will be in half of one of my new 4x4's. Here's hoping it does the trick... Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_idea

Megan, LOL! I didn't secure the string, Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_redface and the loops didn't look so nice when the next healthy gust of wind that hit them... they all kinda bunched up at the bottom of the teepee... so I took it off and kinda re-did it yesterday. I ended up re-wrapping it in sections and securing it to my "grid" which is made out of the same twine (Target Dollar Spot! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_biggrin hehe!). I'll have to take a pic.... Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_tongue

Shocks, thank you. I kinda liked the angle too.... I did it to give a bit more room around the boxes, but I thought it was asthetically pleasing as well! And I sure hope the bricks do the trick to keep the critters out! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_albino

Carol, thanks! The two "high-rises" on the back box are my carrots... I'm hoping for much better success with carrots this year than last. Last year was a wash (literally! my friend's toddler got a bit over-zealous when he was helping water and pretty much washed the mix half-way out of my carrot square... it was sad! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_sad ). I'm very much into things being symetrical... one of my quirks.

New2this, thanks, can you tell I am quite proud of my fence? LOL! A lot of window shopping, pricing and planning went into it! I originally wanted to have a 4ft. fence (MAJOR deer population around here... Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_rendeer I've seen over 2 dozen in my backyard at times, and there is a herd of approx. 75 that roams the area), but couldn't find anything in my price-point, or asthetically pleasing enough in that heighth, so DH talked me into the 3ft. green plastic poultry fencing. Can I just say, hardware cloth (which would have been my 1st choice) is $$$!!! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Affraid But I am quite pleased with the end result... that plastic was actually very easy to work with, and a lot less pokey than wire would have been! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_razz And we recycled the old 4ft. chicken wire fence into box bottoms!

Tim, I can't wait either! LOL! If the weather would just cooperate.... if it isn't raining out then it's HOT and HUMID... you know, the kind of weather where if you spend even 15 min. outside, you are completely melting! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_sunny Yesterday, the heat and humidity were just brutal! I'm not holding out much hope for today, but I'm going to try to get my MM mixed up.... *crosses fingers* *holds breath* *passes out* Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_lol
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Empty Teepee string re-do

Post  jkdistad 5/25/2010, 2:48 pm

For Megan... here is a closer pic of my pea teepee and the twine I re-wrapped around it... the peas were having trouble with the plain bamboo, and needed a bit more to grab on to.

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4718

Close up... attatched to the grid....
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4719

4x4 #1 planted with sugar snap peas with romaine lettuce under the peas in the center, broccoli on the left and right sides, cauliflower on the top and bottom, cabbage at the 4 corners and a few marigolds here and there.
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4720

Baby Broccoli!
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4722

4x4 #2
front row: romaine, spinach, spinach (a couple didn't make it), carrots
2nd row: kohlrabi, cauliflower, broccoli, scallions
3rd row: kohlrabi, broccoli, onions, onions
back row: carrots, leeks, leeks, chives
random marigolds here and there
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4721

New boxes down and ready to go!
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4723

If it weren't hotter-n-blue-blazes outside right now, I'd be getting a lot more done today.... *sigh*
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Empty Pic of my SFG MN... 2nd year

Post  Sweetmama 5/25/2010, 5:16 pm

jkdistad,

We are in MN for my husband's company (Pradco Outdoor Brands) annual sales meeting. They bought Lindy, a MN company, a couple of years ago so they still have ties to the area. My husband is the saltwater brand manager and does most of his work in the coastal states...oil spill is really wreaking havoc for the people in those areas with no end in sight. Anyway, it is lovely here and we are enjoying the lake and the beautful outdoors. Haven't noticed the humidity too much, but I'm a southern girl and used to high humidity. Eventhough having a great time here I miss my SFG! My sister is tending while I'm away and I am nuts wondering about all the details! Ha!

Thanks for the reply and happy gardening!
Sweetmama
Sweetmama

Female Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/25/2010, 6:26 pm

jkdistad,

Thanks for the picture of your tipi, looks great! I used 3 pieces of bamboo to make a tipi for a yellow pear tomato a few years back. I had a really hard time keeping my cord anchored in place on the bamboo without it sliding down, even when it was knotted on there. I forget what I did exactly, but I think I wrapped it tightly around the bamboo 4-5 times before going on to the next upright.... and since my yard is on a slope, I ended up having a really tough time keeping the spacing even, etc. I think I ended up wrapping the whole thing (plant, tipi and all) with several go-rounds of more twine to keep it all together in the end. Yours looks MUCH nicer! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Empty How Many Peas?

Post  SassyScraps 5/25/2010, 9:20 pm

Love your pics. I love how neat and tidy everything is.
How many peas did you plant in each square below you teepee?
SassyScraps
SassyScraps

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/25/2010, 9:37 pm

Megan, it's all about trial and error, my friend! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_biggrin

I just spent 2 straight hours working in my garden, mixing the MM (by myself) for one box and getting that all set up, along with keep a sharp eye on all 5 of my kiddos! I'm BUSHED! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_tongue Dominos for supper (the kids certainly didn't complain, hehe)!

Sassy, thanks! I have 4 peas planted in each square... 2 at the base of each bamboo pole... don't know if that's an SFG sanctioned amount or not.... LOL... but that's what seems good to me. Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_lol
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/27/2010, 3:34 pm

What great pictures. Your garden will be a showplace and that's always good. I envy those that can make their gardens so picturesque.
Great job.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 6/3/2010, 12:21 pm

Thanks, quiltbea, I'm big into asthetics... LOL! maybe too much so sometimes.... Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_tongue I'm hoping it stays picturesque throughout the season.... !
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Empty Updated pics... June 3rd

Post  jkdistad 6/3/2010, 12:52 pm

Well, here are some pics of how my garden is doing.... I've gotten all 4 boxes filled and planted now.

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4810

I can practically see my peas growing on a daily basis! No buds yet, though...
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4910

My kohlrabi is getting HUGE, or at least the leaves are! The bulbs (or whatever you call it) are getting bigger now... probably about the size of a pecan.
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4911

Tomatoes are in.... along with the basil, and summer squash and zucchini (those are planted where you can see the soil slightly disturbed... yes, I was checking progress.... Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_lol
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4912

Potatoes are just now beginning to send up little tiny sprouts, so is the chard. Peppers are budding, and the beans are sprouting.
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4913

Pole beans breaking ground!
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4914

A few herbs... L to R: Mint, Spearmint, Stevia... all the makings for a lovely iced tea for the dog-days of summer! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_sunny
Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4811
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  AliSmith13 6/5/2010, 4:05 pm

I love, love, LOVE your garden! Very well planned and organized. Looks like things are taking off nicely! I look forward to updates!
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 6/11/2010, 4:30 pm

Ali, thanks for your generous compliments! Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Icon_biggrin Things are doing quite nicely for now... as long as I keep the icky cabbage worms picked off and as long as the birds don't get too hungry!
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 6/11/2010, 5:00 pm

this pic was taken on Wed., June 9th.... things are greening up in my new boxes and getting bigger and bigger in the older boxes....

Question: to those of you who eat the kohlrabi greens.... how do you prepare them, and will snipping a few of the leaves hurt the plant before harvest? The leaves are getting HUGE and starting to completely shade one of my carrot squares!

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_4920

Last night (june 10th, we got big rain storm with HUGE forceful raindrops that did a number on my broccoli heads... guess I should have picked them a few days ago... I was hoping they'd get bigger, but I think they just got more loose, and close to out-right blooming... now they are destroyed... 2 of my 3 heads (out of 6 plants total) look like this:

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_5012

Not sure if it's the mourning doves, the grackles, the robins, or the blackbirds that are pecking at my veggies... this morning, my oldest son spotted some birds fighting in my garden... a pair of mourning doves and a blackbird (immature red-winged blackbird, I think)... here's one of the doves:

Pics of my MN SFG - 2nd Year! Img_5011
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 6/12/2010, 8:33 am

YOur pictures look great.
We too, have been getting some heavy rains, but not too bad to disrupt my plants like that. Who, knows...maybe it's strong enough to bounce back- they're tough!
I am wondering with your broccoli....sorry if this is a silly question as I've never even grown it....but has it already come to seed? Or are those yellowish things the new heads?
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum