Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 Toplef10My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 I22gcj10My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 Toplef10My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 I22gcj10My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6

2 posters

Go down

My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 Empty My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6

Post  tappingmom 2/15/2023, 2:13 pm

I have been on a crazy compost-finding mission since my last post 6 days ago.  My husband finally put his foot down and said no more poo conversations at dinner... 

Based on availability in my area (Portland, Oregon / Vancouver, Washington) and responses from various manufacturers, I have found the following 11 "composts".  Naturally, I would like to stick with the published MM by using 5 of these, but am comfortable with only using 4...if that's best.  BTW, everything, except the worm castings, will be screened with the recommended 1/4" hardware screen.  All are reasonably priced and are available for pick up.  

Go get a cup of coffee because I know it's a lot of reading...and I tried to only include the important facts.  I am hoping that you experts would be so kind in ranking the top 6 (just in case one becomes unavailable) that I should use?

My husband thanks you greatly...as do I!!

Here we go:

DAIRY/CHICKEN
G&B Organics Purely Compost
·      Green waste compost containing bark fines, composted dairy manure, composted chicken manure, seabird guano.  OMRI.  No Peat moss added. 
Malibu Compost Biodynamic Bu’s Blend
·      Manure from organically fed/humanely treated/outdoor raised dairy cows, straw, vineyard wood chips, and biodynamic concentrations of yarrow, chamomile, valerian, stinging nettle, dandelion, and oak bark.
Teufel Organic Compost
·      Contains forest products and composted dairy manure.  No sludge or bio-solids.  OMRI.  No peat moss added.  Compressed bale.

SEA
SeaCoast Compost
·      Diverse wild-caught seafood by-products (fish, crab, shrimp), organic cow manure, pristine red alder and enlivening biodynamic preparations.  Slow-aged for 2 years.  No peat moss added. 
Ocean Rich Fish Compost
·      Fish byproduct and plant material allowed to breakdown and cure for over a year.  90% of material will pass through ½” screen, with 100% passing through 1” screen.  OMRI.

WORM CASTINGS
Plan B Organic Vegan Worm (African Nightcrawler) Castings
·      Castings only with no additives of any kind.  National Organic Program.
·      Based on other responses in this forum, should my 1/3 compost component of the MM only contain 5% or 10% of this?

MUSHROOM
Espoma Mushroom Compost
·      Blend of mushroom compost and aged forest products.  No peat moss added.

VEGETATION
Dirt Hugger Compost
·      Dirt Hugger compost is a dark, rich, organic compost made from local whole orchard fruit, wood, brush, yard debris, spent brewery yeast and grains, and curbside collected food scraps.  We screen compost to less than 3/8” size, and it is perfect for amending the sandy loam or clay soils in the Pacific Northwest.  No peat moss added. 
Cedar Grove Compost
·      Made from locally recycled garden prunings, food products, and vegetable trimmings.  Contains no biosolids or steer manure.  No peat moss added.
Portland Leaf Compost
·      Leaves collected by Portland, Oregon’s Leaf Collection Program from street piles.  “Our compost turner has a restacking system that allows for a single pass for turning and restacking the compost. During the turning process, the compost is aerated and, because of our frequent rainfall, water is added. The temperature and moisture content of the composting leaves are monitored daily to determine when to turn the pile to facilitate the composting process. The final compost product is used by City crews for soil amendment (mixed with soil in areas in preparation for revegetation), erosion control in areas with exposed soil (e.g., roadside ditches and maintenance projects, etc.), donated to community gardens, and sold to the public.”

MISCELLANEOUS
Opus Bio-Tope Amendment Compost
·      Organic compost, worm castings, wood biochar, fish bone meal, bat guano, feather meal, blood meal, alfalfa meal, shrimp meal, humic acid, basalt rock dust, kelp meal and mycorrhizae.  OMRI.
tappingmom
tappingmom

sanderson and quincy47 like this post

Back to top Go down

My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 Empty Re: My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6

Post  sanderson 2/15/2023, 10:54 pm

1. Malibu Bu's Blend - I just discovered this and was thrilled that no screening was required.  Bu's on the left. Contains some cow manure.  My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 Compos72

2. G&B Organics Purely Compost - I use this because I can buy it locally.  (Fresno CA) I did screen it last year as there were more wood fines than i could tolerate.  2021 and 2022 were brutal on once respected brands of compost.

3. Worm castings - To help prevent phosphorus build up, limit to 5%.  Good stuff.

Espoma Mushroom Compost - All I'm finding is the Mushroom Compost Blend which is actually a soil amendment with the added wood.  Too bad Espoma had to mess up this product.  No.

4 and 5. Dirt Hugger and Cedar Grove - I have heard good things about Cedar Grove.  I would buy it if it was sold here.  Dirt Hugger sounds good.

Ocean Rich - no.

Sea Coast - maybe try 1 bag.  Or ignore it.  The bottom line with plant and animal composted materials, regardless of the hype, is that they end up with basically the same % of nutrients.  Crab and shrimp shells do play an important role with fighting root knot nematodes because of their chitin, but I doubt you have any in your area.  Manures, especially poultry, and worm castings can contribute to phosphorus build-up so they should only contribute to 20% and 5% respectively of the total composts.

You scored!!

I'm going to add your list and my comments to an existing compost thread.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

alstonk likes this post

Back to top Go down

My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6 Empty Re: My Compost Search Results...Please Rank the Top 6

Post  tappingmom 2/16/2023, 11:56 am

I'm doing the happy dance!!

A million thanks, sanderson, for taking the time to read my long post and responding.  

Based on your recommendations, I'll be starting my compost collection tomorrow...YAY!
tappingmom
tappingmom

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/16/2023, 12:29 pm

Cedar Grove Compost. I just watched their video. Another Certified Instructor in CA found it at Home Depot for $6 a bag. !!! In the video, you can see the remaining wood. However, for the price, and the fact it does not have manures it would be worth it if screened. https://cedar-grove.com/store/soil/compost?fbclid=IwAR3rLTAPvXqGETs99qMZo48UYjpxRIXLyjaCWakdWiw3RQkspaX4fb4esMw

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  tappingmom 2/16/2023, 12:41 pm

Yes, I also found it at Home Depot for $5.97 per bag.  

I watched the video a few days ago and saw the larger pieces of wood.  I plan to buy two extra bags so I end up with the correct amount after screening.

Very Happy Tammy
tappingmom
tappingmom

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum