Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Toplef10Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 I22gcj10Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Toplef10Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 I22gcj10Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse

+4
sanderson
JAM23
Soose
OhioGardener
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Empty Re: Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse

Post  sanderson 11/20/2022, 10:37 pm

reading

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Empty Free Grow Buckets

Post  OhioGardener 12/7/2022, 5:47 pm

The latest addition to the greenhouse is some free grow buckets.  Yesterday we stopped in a local Kroger store and while going by the floral dept I noticed a stack of black plastic buckets. I ask the woman working on the flowers what they do with those buckets, and she said they are free for anyone that wants them. The receive about a dozen of them every day with cut flowers in them, and any of them are taken by closing time, she said, are thrown in the dumpster.  I looked at the buckets and noticed that they have a recycle code of 05 PP on them, which means that they are made out of Polypropylene, which is an FDA-approved food contact plastic. So I grabbed the stack of 10 3-gallon buckets and brought them home.

Today I drilled drain holes in 3 of them them and filled them with new MM, and then planted some Beit Alpha cucumber seeds in them. After ensuring the soil was moist enough, the buckets were covered with plastic wrap to keep the seeds moist until the germinate. Hopefully we'll soon have some cucumbers growing in the greenhouse.  Very Happy

The grow buckets are filled with new MMOhio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Grow_b10

The grow buckets have cucumber seeds planted, and covered with plastic wrapOhio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Grow_b11

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/7/2022, 10:33 pm

Great score!  cheers

What are the day and night temps inside the greenhouse?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/8/2022, 7:28 am

sanderson wrote:Great score!  cheers

What are the day and night temps inside the greenhouse?

rock on  Amazing the free things that are available to us if we just look around, and are not afraid to ask.

It is set to stay at 60ºF at night, and allowed to get to the low 80's daytime.  I installed a small thermostatically controlled blue flame gas heater to maintain the nighttime temps, and installed a thermostatically controlled fan to pull out the heat if it gets over 80ºF during the peak sun of the day.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson, Soose and Jjean59 like this post

Back to top Go down

Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Empty Greenhouse question

Post  cyclonegardener 12/22/2022, 1:30 pm

Do you use any thermal mass?
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/22/2022, 8:09 pm

cyclonegardener wrote:Do you use any thermal mass?

Some, limited.  I have three black tanks filled with water which heat up when the afternoon sun shines on them, and they maintain that heat well into the night. But, they are not enough to eliminate the supplemental heat from the gas heater.
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Storag10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/23/2022, 3:46 am

OG, Thank you for showing a picture of the black tanks. Others may get ideas. Do you want to post a separate thread on the topic so it doesn't get lost? Thank you.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 12/24/2022, 4:44 pm

Thanks- That is a great working greenhouse!
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/25/2022, 8:05 am

cyclonegardener wrote:Thanks- That is a great working greenhouse!

Thanks!

It is a evolving, learning, and growing experience!  For the past several years I grew our winter greens in a cold frame using manure buried under the soil to generate heat, and learned a lot about how to grow lettuce and spinach in sub-zero weather. This year we upped the game and added a greenhouse to expand both our winter growing and our spring seed starting. Due to some unexpected delays we were a couple months late in getting it set up, and getting the seeds planted. But, we are now eating fresh lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, bok choy, and Napa cabbage from the greenhouse.

And, we now know that the greenhouse keeps going at 12 below zero. We broke a 60-year old record for cold temps two days ago, but everything kept growing. I'm still looking at heating and insulating options and capabilities. Don't have room for a compost bin to generate heat, but might add a few more barrels of water.... It will keep evolving.

It is a bright, sunny White Christmas Day, and all is well in the greenhouse.  A balmy 8.9ºF outside, and a warm 68.9ºF inside the greenhouse with the sun warming it up for day.
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Greenh12

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

bigtoad and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/28/2022, 6:46 pm

Today while picking lettuce and spinach in the greenhouse I noticed that the Black Seeded Simpson leaf lettuce is starting to bolt to seed already. That means that the greenhouse has been too warm for the liking of the lettuce.  The chinese cabbage, bok choy, and swiss chard are all doing great though.  And, about 2 weeks ago I started some new Merlot lettuce which is growing great.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

bigtoad and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/31/2022, 6:45 pm

The greenhouse has become invaded by pesky little Fungus Gnats.  When I made the MM for the raised bed in the greenhouse I ran out of home made compost, so I picked up some of the free mushroom compost from the local mushroom farm to use in its place.  I suspect those fungus gnats were in that compost, and now the greenhouse is full of them.  Today I made some bright yellow gnat traps to see if I can control their population until I can get some more Neem Cake to make some Neem Tea.

The gnat traps are made out of pieces of a yellow plastic file folder, and then covered with Vaseline for the gnats to stick to.Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Gnat_t10

Got creative in shaping the ones for the hanging baskets.Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Butter18

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

kygardener, sanderson, bigtoad and Jjean59 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/3/2023, 11:14 pm

OG May I share these photos?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 1/4/2023, 12:56 am

"OhioGardener
The greenhouse has become invaded by ... Today I made some bright yellow gnat traps to see if I can control their population until I can get some more Neem Cake to make some Neem Tea."

Ohiohardener, at 4 days (?), how did the homemade Vaseline/file folder traps work? Putting that in my bag of tricks for future.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/4/2023, 7:59 am

Soose wrote:"OhioGardener
 at 4 days (?), how did the homemade Vaseline/file folder traps work?  Putting that in my bag of tricks for future.

They work very well at attracting and trapping the annoying Fungus Gnats that are flying everywhere. But, unfortunately, it is somewhat a futile attempt to control the gnats.  A single female Fungus Gnat only lives for one week, but during that time she lays between 200 and 300 eggs on the soil.  Unknown how many eggs she was able to lay before getting caught on the trap, but if only one egg survives to maturity that will result in another 200 to 300 gnats.  That is why I use other tools, such as Neem Cake, as part of my IPM (Integrated Pest Management).

When I have time I am going to make a separate thread under the Pests forum on using Neem Cake and Neem Cake Tea for pest management.

As an example of the success of using yellow sticky pest traps for Fungus Gnats here is a closeup of a few of the gnats.Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Fungus10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

kygardener, sanderson, Soose and Jjean59 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/4/2023, 4:13 pm

OG, Thank you for the follow up. Will it work with any other pests like white flies?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/5/2023, 8:09 am

sanderson wrote:OG,  Thank you for the follow up.  Will it work with any other pests like white flies?

Interesting that you would ask that. The guy that introduced me to Neem Cake Tea has a greenhouse operation for growing bedding plants to sell to local stores. He uses it as a systemic pest control, and says he has never had to deal with Aphids or White Flies since using it.  I have never had White Flies, and have minimal problems with Aphids, so have no personal knowledge of its effectiveness.

The way works against Fungus Gnats is by making the tea and then doing a soil drench once a week for at least three weeks, but preferably 5 weeks. The soil drench kills the larva in the soil, but does not kill the eggs nor the adults that are still flying about. So, the repeated weekly applications are to break the cycle of the gnat - each time it is applied it stops one cycle of the larva.

The concept of the systemic application is that the Neem Cake Tea is applied every 21 days so that the roots absorb the Azadirachtin from the Neem Cake and distribute it throughout its stems and leaves. When an insect such as Aphid or White Fly pierces the leaf to suck out the fluid it gets the Azadirachtin.  This will trick the pest into thinking it’s full, causing it to starve itself. This prevents the adult from laying more eggs, which reduces the population. But, this process must be repeated until there are no more insects.  The good thing is that since it only affects sucking type insects, it will not affect bees, butterflies, ladybugs, and other beneficial insect.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/5/2023, 11:00 pm

Neem Cake Tea is off topic but I have questions about it and EM-1. I may PM you.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/11/2023, 10:41 am

Back in December I started looking at different types of leaf lettuce to grow in the greenhouse.  My favorite leaf lettuce has always been Black Seeded Simpson, but it is a cool weather crop and will start to bolt as soon as weather turns warm. The same thing happened in the greenhouse as soon as the inside temp warmed up the lettuce started to bolt.

I got some Merlot Leaf Lettuce seeds as a free packet with an order from Baker Creek Heirloom, and the packet states that it is bolt resistant. I immediately planted the seeds in the raised bed in the greenhouse to test them.  They have been growing great since Dec 28th and have shown no signs of bolting.  Two separate plantings of the Black Seeded Simpson have bolted during that time.

So far the test with the Merlot Leaf Lettuce has been very successful, and will be ordering more of it with the next seed order to try to grow in the outdoor beds this summer.  It has not only grown very rapidly and produces a lot of salad, but it is delicious as well.

https://www.rareseeds.com/lettuce-merlot

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

kygardener, sanderson, bigtoad and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 2/11/2023, 4:22 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Soose wrote:"OhioGardener
 at 4 days (?), how did the homemade Vaseline/file folder traps work?  Putting that in my bag of tricks for future.

They work very well at attracting and trapping the annoying Fungus Gnats that are flying everywhere. But, unfortunately, it is somewhat a futile attempt to control the gnats.  A

So glad y'all put more posts on this thread today, because I either missed or I did not get any notification that you had answered about the Vaseline cards for flies. Ty for sharing your experiments!
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/4/2023, 3:10 pm

The veggies in the greenhouse are really enjoying the longer days, and brighter sunshine.

Six Napa Cabbage plantsOhio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Napa_c12

Six Swiss Chard and three Bok Choy plantsOhio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Swiss_11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/14/2023, 2:01 pm

Two days in March at the greenhouse.....
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Two_da10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/16/2023, 5:20 pm

The Swiss Chard and Bok Choy are competing to see who gets the most space. There are 6 Swiss Chard, and 3 Bok Choy plants in this 2'x2' section of the raised bed.  Two of the Bok Choy will soon be ready to harvest, and then there will be growth room for the Chard. There are 3 new Bok Choy seedlings growing to the left of these plants, but they didn't get in the picture. Very Happy 
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 Chard_10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/15/2023, 4:50 pm

The first greenhouse cucumber. This is a Beit Alpha Cucumber, which is one of the parthenocarpic varieties that does not need pollination.  It is also a burpless cucumber, which is a plus.
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 First_11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/17/2023, 12:09 am

With this success, it will be hard to get you out of the greenhouse! Razz What's next? A tomato?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/17/2023, 8:22 am

sanderson wrote:With this success, it will be hard to get you out of the greenhouse! Razz  What's next? A tomato?
Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse - Page 2 3170584802
Hmmmmm.....  That's a thought.  I have all of the tomato, pepper, eggplant, and basil seedlings growing in there right now.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next