Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse Toplef10Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse I22gcj10Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse Toplef10Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse I22gcj10Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse

4 posters

Go down

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse Empty Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse

Post  sunflowersarefun 3/15/2023, 2:58 pm

As I was waltzing through Costco yesterday I discovered an affordable greenhouse that would be the perfect size for me. Approx 6"6"" x 7'6" and under $1500. Wood frame with 8 foot peak, greenhouse acrylic plastic sides and roof plus a roof vent. 
    I have lusted for a greenhouse for 30 years or so but kids, college, divorce all interfered with the dream. MY house has an HOA that prohibits a shed larger than 120 sq ft. I have a 96 sq ft shed and this would tuck neatly behind it. The property behind me is parkland so there shouldn't be any complaints about nestling the greenhouse behind the shed. 
    Could I get get by with a 12x12 cement squares for a foundation? I figured the floor would be sand  for minimal maintenance. Does anyone have experience they would like to share before I make the plunge? Is there a good reference book out there somewhere to minimize my mistakes? Smile 
    I looked on Costco for a link to post but this particular greenhouse is not online at this time. It was very sturdy as I walked inside and shook the walls and door with minimal effect. Any suggestions are welcome:)

Thanks

Ron
sunflowersarefun
sunflowersarefun

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse Empty Re: Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse

Post  OhioGardener 3/15/2023, 3:19 pm

sunflowersarefun wrote:Could I get get by with a 12x12 cement squares for a foundation? I figured the floor would be sand  for minimal maintenance. Does anyone have experience they would like to share before I make the plunge? Is there a good reference book out there somewhere to minimize my mistakes? Smile

Yes, those squares would work for the base, but your main consideration in this area are the high winds.  It is essential that the greenhouse is anchored down to prevent the wind from moving it in the most unpredictable manner. You will want to closely inspect it before purchase to ensure those acrylic panels will survive 50 or 60 mph winds -- I have a number of neighbors that bought inexpensive greenhouses from places like Harbor Freight, and the winds constantly blew panels out of them.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and sunflowersarefun like this post

Back to top Go down

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse Empty Re: Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse

Post  sunflowersarefun 3/22/2023, 9:08 am

Thanks for that information. I hope to put it on the south side of my shed but since the wind usually comes out of the west that won’t be much of a wind break. I am going to Costco today and will inspect the panels and read any info they have about wind etc. 
   Anchoring might present some challenges but looking forward to thinking about the options available. In my experience , you get what you pay for at Harbor Freight. Tarps have been my most successful product from there. They are cheap but durable. I still like to wander the aisles and see new stuff tho😁🙄
sunflowersarefun
sunflowersarefun

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sunflowersarefun 3/22/2023, 3:27 pm

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse D030a710
Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse A61ee910
Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse 3b207d10Here are some pictures of the greenhouse
sunflowersarefun
sunflowersarefun

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/22/2023, 4:58 pm

Those are double-wall polycarbonate panels, not acrylic plastic as you thought.  That is a good thing. The double-wall polycarbonate is very durable and strong - I think they have like a 10-year manufacturers warranty. It looks solid the way they slid the panels into groves wood beams.  Still needs to be anchored down, though.

Probably this greenhouse: https://yardistrystructures.com/cedar-poly-greenhouse/

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sunflowersarefun 3/22/2023, 5:36 pm

That is it exactly. Thanks for the link. Now to do some smooth talking persuading 😁😁😁
sunflowersarefun
sunflowersarefun

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/22/2023, 7:46 pm

I am interested, too.  Not sure where I would put the thing….
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2023, 3:36 am

OhioGardener wrote:Probably this greenhouse: https://yardistrystructures.com/cedar-poly-greenhouse/
I think I'm in love. I love you

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/25/2023, 8:10 pm

sanderson wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Probably this greenhouse: https://yardistrystructures.com/cedar-poly-greenhouse/
I think I'm in love. I love you

Greenhouse - Helpful Hints in Setting up a Wood-Framed Greenhouse 3170584802

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/25/2023, 8:12 pm

sunflowersarefun wrote:That is it exactly. Thanks for the link. Now to do some smooth talking persuading 😁😁😁

I bought mine as a birthday gift for myself.  Smile

My weather station today showed 59 mph winds during the storms. If I didn't have the greenhouse anchored down, I probably wouldn't have it.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and sunflowersarefun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2023, 9:41 pm

OhioGardener wrote:. . . My weather station today showed 59 mph winds during the storms. If I didn't have the greenhouse anchored down, I probably wouldn't have it.
Shocked

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sunflowersarefun 3/28/2023, 1:13 pm

I like the idea of a birthday gift to myself. Now to battle the HOA😱frustration scremfrustration screm.  My yard backs up to a local park so I could “ hide “ it behind my shed without a problem. We shall see:lol!:
sunflowersarefun
sunflowersarefun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down