Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion Planting & Soil Depth Toplef10Companion Planting & Soil Depth 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion Planting & Soil Depth I22gcj10Companion Planting & Soil Depth 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion Planting & Soil Depth Toplef10Companion Planting & Soil Depth 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion Planting & Soil Depth I22gcj10Companion Planting & Soil Depth 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 20:14

» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 18:36

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 13:14

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 08:22

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 06:50

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 02:13

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 2024-04-16, 05:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 2024-04-16, 01:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 2024-04-16, 01:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 2024-04-15, 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 2024-04-15, 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-15, 06:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 2024-04-13, 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson 2024-04-13, 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 2024-04-13, 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson 2024-04-10, 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-08, 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 2024-04-08, 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 2024-04-07, 08:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 2024-04-05, 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 2024-04-05, 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 2024-04-04, 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 2024-04-04, 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 2024-04-04, 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-04, 04:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 2024-04-01, 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Companion Planting & Soil Depth

3 posters

Go down

Companion Planting & Soil Depth Empty Companion Planting & Soil Depth

Post  AngelaLynn 2022-04-23, 05:58

Three questions for experienced gardeners: 

1) When companion planting a veggie garden with flowers or herbs do you plant them both in the same square or side-by-side in their own squares. Example: Can I plant basil in the same square as my vining tomato or does the basil need it’s own square? If I’m using calendula and basil for my tomatoes, can I plant the two (basil/calendula) in the same square? 

2) What materials have you had the most success with, in your garden paths, to keep out weeds? 

3) My raised beds are 30” tall. I’ll be using the hugelkulture method to fill the bottom part of the beds and Mel’s mix as the soil. How deep should my soil portion be? From what I’ve read in Mel’s book, seen on YouTube videos and in articles found online the depth suggested ranges from 6-24”.  I was thinking 24” would be best especially for root veggies, but my mom who has gardened (in ground) for 50 years…says I’d be wasting money if I went any deeper than 10”. What’s your advice/experience?
AngelaLynn
AngelaLynn

Back to top Go down

Companion Planting & Soil Depth Empty Re: Companion Planting & Soil Depth

Post  OhioGardener 2022-04-23, 07:22

AngelaLynn wrote:Three questions for experienced gardeners: 

1) When companion planting a veggie garden with flowers or herbs do you plant them both in the same square or side-by-side in their own squares. Example: Can I plant basil in the same square as my vining tomato or does the basil need it’s own square? If I’m using calendula and basil for my tomatoes, can I plant the two (basil/calendula) in the same square? 

Not sure if I qualify as an experienced gardener, but I'll give it shot.

There are two important considerations when doing such companion planting: 1) The amount of space each plant needs to fully develop, and 2) A bigger plant shading a smaller plant and not allowing it to fully develop.  For example, a tomato plant provides a lot of shade, and basil requires full sun.

If spacing for a plant, such a basil, is 4 per square, and spacing for a companion plant is also 4 per square, then you should not experience any problem mixing them. I personally dedicate each square to the plant for that square.

2) What materials have you had the most success with, in your garden paths, to keep out weeds?

I use free wood chips that I get from local tree trimmers. I pick up free cardboard from a furniture store to put down on the ground, and then cover with several inches of wood chips on top of the cardboard.

How deep should my soil portion be? From what I’ve read in Mel’s book, seen on YouTube videos and in articles found online the depth suggested ranges from 6-24”.  I was thinking 24” would be best especially for root veggies, but my mom who has gardened (in ground) for 50 years…says I’d be wasting money if I went any deeper than 10”. What’s your advice/experience?

It would be terribly expensive to put 24" of Mel's Mix in a bed, and would be totally unnecessary. The recommended depth for MM is 6", but if you are planning on growing root crops such as sweet or white potatoes, carrots, Dikon radish, parsnips, etc., 10" is much better.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Companion Planting & Soil Depth Empty Re: Companion Planting & Soil Depth

Post  sanderson 2022-04-23, 13:02

AngelaLynn wrote:Three questions for experienced gardeners:

OG answered this question.  I have planted one basil between 2 tomato plants.  They stay stunted until I start pruning the dying lower leaves, and then it takes off.  Now I plant basil in the herb bed in its own square.  Dwarf marigolds stay much smaller.  I plant just for color and plant them in half squares or where they won't get overwhelmed.  Larger flowers like zinnias and petunia get their own square.  Again, just for color and only in squares that are empty.

Like OG, I use plain wood chips.Companion Planting & Soil Depth Garde111

3) My raised beds are 30” tall. I’ll be using the hugelkulture method to fill the bottom part of the beds and Mel’s mix as the soil. How deep should my soil portion be? From what I’ve read in Mel’s book, seen on YouTube videos and in articles found online the depth suggested ranges from 6-24”.  I was thinking 24” would be best especially for root veggies, but my mom who has gardened (in ground) for 50 years…says I’d be wasting money if I went any deeper than 10”. What’s your advice/experience?
This is the official answer from the SFG Foundation, of which I closely work with.  Huelkulture does not go with SFG.  Period. Over time the material will break down and the whole bed will sink until the Mel's Mix is way low.  Fill the lower portion with clean sand or dirt leaving 8" of head room for 6-7" of Mel's Mix plus top mulch.  The production is the same whether there is 6" or 12" of Mel's Mix.  My beds are in the air (table top beds) with bottoms of 3/4" plywood or "cementy" type cement board.  I've also had cement pavers as the bottoms.  Therefore, if I had your style of tall deep beds, I would put sand in the bottom, topped with durable weed fabric so I don't drag sand up into the Mel's Mix when carefully removing plants at the end of the season. Then fill with MM leaving an inch or two for mulch. (I use ready chopped straw call E-Z Straw with tack.

Most plants can be grown in just 6-7" of MM.  There are short varieties of carrots and parsnips.  For longer ones, you can dedicate a bed for them, or add a top hat and fill with MM (economical method)  The top hat also allows you to move the extra MM around to different beds or squares. Companion Planting & Soil Depth Top_ha10

This is my first year growing Yukon Gold potatoes in a regular bed.  The seed potatoes were planted 2" from the bottom as the potatoes form above the seed potato.  Cover with straw mulch to keep out the sunlight.  I usually grow reds in 5-gallon buckets.  This year I planted 4 eyes of reds in one and a YG seed potato in the other.  Harvesting is easy as the buckets can be dumped on a clean tarp to make sure I don't miss any tiny ones.

Three squares of YG in a regular bed.Companion Planting & Soil Depth Potato23

Companion Planting & Soil Depth Potato22
Companion Planting & Soil Depth Potato21

Sweet potatoes I plant in large storage totes in 10" of MM.  One slip per square foot.  Again, I dump the totes on a clean tarp.  Harvest, remove orange roots, remove roots from under the durable weed fabric that lines the bottoms.
Two (2) totes dumped last November.
Companion Planting & Soil Depth Sweet_29

Sneaky potato under the weed fabric.
Companion Planting & Soil Depth Sweet_31

Two totes worth of harvest.
Companion Planting & Soil Depth Sweet_30

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21527