Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion planting Toplef10Companion planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion planting I22gcj10Companion planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion planting Toplef10Companion planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion planting I22gcj10Companion planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Companion planting

+8
donnainzone5
Pollinator
brainchasm
memart1
chjbr63
H_TX_2
southern gardener
redhead120
12 posters

Go down

Companion planting Empty Companion planting

Post  redhead120 3/22/2013, 10:01 am

I have not seen anyone discussing companion planting. When planning your garden does anyone take into consideration the plants that don't do well near each other? I am finding it harder to configure my beds because of this. If certain crops shouldn't be grown near some other type, how far is far enough away?
redhead120

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Companion planting Empty Re: Companion planting

Post  southern gardener 3/22/2013, 10:13 am

hi red head. Here's a link I use quite a bit. Hope this helps!! http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html#ALFALFA:
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  redhead120 3/22/2013, 10:22 am

I actually have that one bookmarked on my computer. It is very helpful. So are you careful what plants you plant near each other? And how far away is far enough? For instance, that site says to keep onions away from peas...how far do you think? A different box or a couple squares away?
redhead120

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 3/22/2013, 10:26 am

I try and find out why certain things should not be planted near each other. If they are susceptible to the same diseases or attract the same pests then I put them in separate boxes. If they just don't go well together or inhibit the growth on the other then I think it is safe to put them 2+ squares away.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  redhead120 3/22/2013, 10:39 am

thanks for the info. I was probably being too fussy with my distances. If it ever quits snowing here I might get to work in my garden!
redhead120

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 3/22/2013, 10:52 am

Here are a couple of links I use for companion planting. I mainly use them to make sure I'm not going to plant any enemies next to each other. I do plant basil in with my tomatoes. I did the Three Sisters last year without much success, corn did not grow well and had string up the beans.

http://www.unclelukes.com/companion-planting
http://www.homeandgardensite.com/companion_planting.htm
chjbr63
chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Companion planting Empty Companion planting

Post  memart1 3/22/2013, 4:56 pm

I too am in the same situation as Redhead with it still snowing. I am also in Pennsylvania near Wilkes-Barre, and we have snow predicted for Monday. I have done a little clean-up work, but that's all. I hope to start some things inside this week, but I'm really waiting about two more weeks to plant outside. The weatherman says April is supposed to have above normal temperature, so that'll be a good time to work outdoors. I am not a cold weather person. Give me a cup of hot chocolate and an afghan and the ANSFG book, and I'll cuddle up and dream of my soon-to-be garden a while longer. LOL rofl
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 3/22/2013, 5:25 pm

Almost everything I've planted so far has had companion planting be a major consideration.

It's the only reason I have marigolds and nasturtiums...it's why my basil is by my tomatoes, but my beans are far away, etc.

There so many things to consider really: companionability, final height/width and the shade it may cause, vining nature or lack thereof, what it will do to the soil (like beans/peas and their nitrogen fixing), how greedy it may be, and probably another dozen!

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 3/22/2013, 6:30 pm

redhead120 wrote:I actually have that one bookmarked on my computer. It is very helpful. So are you careful what plants you plant near each other? And how far away is far enough? For instance, that site says to keep onions away from peas...how far do you think? A different box or a couple squares away?

My garden peas and onions grow alongside each other just fine. I think a lot of companion planting is just so much voodoo.

There is a good reason for planting nectar and pollen bearing flowers together with veggies (to build up pollinator populations), and to plant those that are proven to repel pests. But a lot of what you hear and read is just a lot of nonsense.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/22/2013, 6:36 pm

The best onions I ever grew in Southern California were planted from seed in my strawberry/asparagus bed. Nothing seemed to suffer.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/22/2013, 6:37 pm

redhead120 wrote:I have not seen anyone discussing companion planting. When planning your garden does anyone take into consideration the plants that don't do well near each other? I am finding it harder to configure my beds because of this. If certain crops shouldn't be grown near some other type, how far is far enough away?

welcome Redhead.

Use the search option top left column. I put in companion and came up with lots of threads with interesting info.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/22/2013, 6:37 pm

Pollinator wrote:My garden peas and onions grow alongside each other just fine. I think a lot of companion planting is just so much voodoo.
I hope you are right pollinator because I planted my peas next to my onions in adjacent squares.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  edfhinton 3/22/2013, 9:49 pm

The link posted by Southern Gardener worries me. It says that Corn should be at least 20 feet away from Tomatoes and Celery. My SFG isn't big enough to do that. I was planning corn at the first 4x4 box (westmost), and tomatoes and celery are planned for my third box. So the tomatoes are planned for only about 8 feet from the corn at the closest point. Does anyone think I will have a problem? (Now that i think of it, I had grown corn and tomatoes years ago in a conventional garden and they were closer than 20 feet.) I will research more but I either need them closer than 20 feet or can't grow both at all the same year.

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 3/22/2013, 11:05 pm

edfhinton wrote:The link posted by Southern Gardener worries me. It says that Corn should be at least 20 feet away from Tomatoes and Celery. My SFG isn't big enough to do that. I was planning corn at the first 4x4 box (westmost), and tomatoes and celery are planned for my third box. So the tomatoes are planned for only about 8 feet from the corn at the closest point. Does anyone think I will have a problem? (Now that i think of it, I had grown corn and tomatoes years ago in a conventional garden and they were closer than 20 feet.) I will research more but I either need them closer than 20 feet or can't grow both at all the same year.

These companion gardeners have caused people more worries and pains-in-the-neck! Relax!

Just don't plant the corn where it will shade the tomatoes.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/23/2013, 12:09 am

edfhinton wrote:The link posted by Southern Gardener worries me. It says that Corn should be at least 20 feet away from Tomatoes and Celery. My SFG isn't big enough to do that. I was planning corn at the first 4x4 box (westmost), and tomatoes and celery are planned for my third box. So the tomatoes are planned for only about 8 feet from the corn at the closest point. Does anyone think I will have a problem? (Now that i think of it, I had grown corn and tomatoes years ago in a conventional garden and they were closer than 20 feet.) I will research more but I either need them closer than 20 feet or can't grow both at all the same year.

-Ed

This is news to me. For 2 yrs now I have grown tomatoes adjacent to the squares of corn and they both did fine.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/23/2013, 12:34 am

remember everybody, the mel's mix we use is formulated for intense gardening. The high nutrients allow for much closer spacing. Worry more about compost, heat, shade than companion planting.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content