Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Toplef10Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? I22gcj10Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Toplef10Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? I22gcj10Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto?

3 posters

Go down

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Empty Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto?

Post  cholyk Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:17 pm

I really want more trellis space for tomatoes and the back of my house is west facing. Can I put a trellis there if I move it, say, 6-8 inches from the red brick wall? Sun comes around at 1pm and lasts until about 8pm in the summer. We have hot summer afternoons in Toronto and we’re zone 7.
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Empty Re: Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto?

Post  sanderson Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:51 am

You will find out!  I have 2 small trellised beds a few inches from the east side of the house and the pole beans used to fry.  I tried installing shade cloth on the east side of the trellises but it didn't help.  Then I realized that it was the reflected and radiant heat of the wall and windows that were doing the damage.  Moved the shade cloths to the house side of the trellises and problem solved.

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Shade_16

PS: How are you going to get to the tomatoes if the bed and trellis are only 6-8" from the wall?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Empty Re: Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto?

Post  FRED58 Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:29 pm

I put two 1x4 beds in front of a regular PT solid board fence (Small gap between the boards). I used tomato spirals like these:
Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? XM101-tomato-spirals-set-of-5-f-4215

(I got them from Dollarama for like $2 each. They are 5 for $35 at Lee Valley).

I used waterproof glue to glue a scrap of Styrofoam (1 inch thick, about 3 inches square) with a slightly undersized hole in it to the weedcloth. I pushed the spiral through the hole and into the ground about a foot, then sealed it all with aquarium grade silicone. I filled the beds the next day. the weeds are no worse than the rest of the garden (they do not grow around the spiral). The spirals work well with some ties (I am going to try clips this year). I think the sun (mostly the heat) reflected from the wood is just enough to boost production, but not enough to overheat. They do seem  to need extra watering. They face due south and are usually my first fruit of the season.

I would guess red brick would not reflect much more light than aged PT wood. It might heat up and reflect heat later into the night (which might be a good thing).
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Empty Cholyk's second box near a west facing brick wall

Post  cholyk Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:18 pm

sanderson wrote:
PS: How are you going to get to the tomatoes if the bed and trellis are only 6-8" from the wall?
You mean they don't just grow on the convenient side of the trellis?  How inconsiderate of them! Thanks for pointing out my newbie palm slap to the head moment!  Rolling Eyes 

I made my second box today (completely ignoring @AtlantaMarie's advice to start small - you can tell me I told you so at the end of the season) and I put it about 20 inches away from the wall. Too late for my first box(beans, peas and cucumbers up the trellis) - apparently a 3x5 ft garden table filled with waterlogged mel's mix is just too heavy to move. Maybe my daughter will be able to squeeze back there enough to pick the peas and beans.  Shocked
Plant next to a west facing brick wall in Toronto? Img_0210
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:24 pm

FRED58 wrote:
I would guess red brick would not reflect much more light than aged PT wood. It might heat up and reflect heat later into the night (which might be a good thing).

Good point Fred 58, especially since I probably over-estimated how much sun this space will get. I timed it today and only got about 4-5 hours of full sun followed by about 3 hours of filtered sun (once the leaves come on the trees). I guess I'll see (and learn!) as I go.
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:46 pm

cholyk wrote:
sanderson wrote:
You mean they don't just grow on the convenient side of the trellis?  How inconsiderate of them! Thanks for pointing out my newbie palm slap to the head moment!  Rolling Eyes 

I made my second box today (completely ignoring @AtlantaMarie's advice to start small - you can tell me I told you so at the end of the season) and I put it about 20 inches away from the wall.
Aren't you glad to have Marie and I to advise you? rofl

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum