Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? Toplef10Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? I22gcj10Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? Toplef10Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? I22gcj10Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes? What have you done?

+2
martha
jillschmill
6 posters

Go down

Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? Empty Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes? What have you done?

Post  jillschmill 4/14/2011, 10:21 pm

I have two 4x4 SFG boxes and am looking to create a walkway with pavers or brick around them. I have no experience in this whatsoever, so am turning to all of you to see if you can help inspire me! Do you have ideas? Things you've done that worked well or didn't work at all?

Last year someone here posted a BEAUTIFUL picture (I still have the pic saved) of the walk her husband created for her using a mold and concrete. As she added SFG boxes, he just kept creating more stones with the mold. It was beautiful, but sounded very time consuming waiting for the concrete to set, using the same mold over and over. Still, I love this idea.

SO, post your pics! Show off! Brag! PLEASE!

Jill
jillschmill
jillschmill

Back to top Go down

Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? Empty Re: Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes? What have you done?

Post  martha 4/14/2011, 10:36 pm

no ideas, just shamelessly hanging around to see what gets posted. I was just today thinking that I really must do something between my boxes.

So, c'mon, all you other people, you must have good ideas/photos!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes?  What have you done? Empty Re: Ideas for stone/brick walkway around boxes? What have you done?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/14/2011, 10:36 pm

I may add some pics when I get done....errr started. I have been trying for a couple of weeks now to get over to the free mulch pile and grab a few trailer loads to bring home. I plan to put some stepping stones in there after the mulch is in place. Right now, I have mud...Sad
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 4/14/2011, 10:53 pm

I'd love to see that photo and pics of your garden too; can you post it?

I laid bricks around my garden last year, but nothing too fancy, and I didn't have an sfg; just a section dedicated to sfg. You can see what it looks like in this video
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 4/14/2011, 11:17 pm

We're putting brick walkways around our boxes. Initially, I was just going to leave it with grass, but hubby said the weedeater would eat the paint off our boxes (painted white).

We have lots of old brick at our house. It's an old house with curvy walkways in disrepair all over the yard areas. We were going to pull them up anyhow, so we've decided to repurpose them and use it for walkways.

Our yard is rolling, so we've (or rather hubby!) been doing a lot of digging and filling to make it level. My brother in law is in landscaping and hardscaping, so he's telling us how to do it right. We're digging down where the walkways will go, filling with gravel, compacting that down, laying the brick, and using "sweep sand", which I guess hardens a bit with water. He says this should last for years.

I'm really excited about it. I think it will really look good when it's finished. It's making things move more slowly, but I already have planted in my boxes-- it's just doesn't have the ideal aisle space yet.

We used to have English Ivy growing all over the yard until we finally got most of it killed last year. Snakes love that stuff, so I've been creeped out by our yard since we moved in. The brick makes me feel more comfortable, lol, since it's not as much of a snake hangout.

I'll post a picture when it's done. For now we're stuck with rain for most of the next seven days, so I doubt we'll get much accomplished.
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 4/14/2011, 11:19 pm

Was the concrete mold you were talking about from Theresa's and Josh's garden? Their walkway looks like you described, and it's gorgeous. I wondered how they got that, if that's what your talking about. It's a beautiful contrast with the wood boxes. Something like that would be easier (structurally at least) to make than a brick walkway, if the brick is laid correctly that is.
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 4/14/2011, 11:25 pm

Planning on flagstone around all of them... same drill as the bricks - excavate, gravel - if necessary, decomposed granite, and sand base with sand in the joints
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down