Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Stalled Toplef10Stalled 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Stalled I22gcj10Stalled 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Stalled Toplef10Stalled 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Stalled I22gcj10Stalled 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Stalled

+11
milaneyjane
mckr3441
dmpower
carolintexas
Judge Kemp
SirTravers
timwardell
Wyldflower
Chopper
Megan
Shoda
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stalled Empty Stalled

Post  Shoda 5/20/2010, 7:42 pm

Two weeks ago, I finished building the next SFG box to add to my garden but my motivation has stalled. I have to level the ground underneith it, finish the water lines, add the hardware cloth and fill with Mel's. For some reason I can't seem to finish setting it up. I am thinking it has to do with the memory of body ache from setting up my other boxes. My body hurt for a week!

How do you motivate yourself to get started? (Besides a kick in the Stalled Icon_redface ) I really need to get this finished and off my todo list. Any help!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Stalled Empty Re: Stalled

Post  Megan 5/20/2010, 8:14 pm

I have trouble with procrastination, too. Between that, bad weather, back problems, etc. it was definitely an issue. What got me through the many hours of setting up my beds was the fact I'd already spent $60 on heirloom seed and I'd be darned if I'd let that go to waste!

If that doesn't work for you....

• Promise yourself a professional massage or other treat once everything is done and planted.
  • Get help! Enlist some local friends, then celebrate together when it is done.
  • Tell us, and then we will nag you... and nag you.... Twisted Evil Are you done yet? Wink

Good luck... I was so happy when my seeds came up! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/20/2010, 8:52 pm

Keep your eyes on the prize - whatever that is for you: fresh tomatoes or corn or self sufficiency. But, you have gotten this far, you will kick yourself if you don't finish.

And on the practical side, I am getting less and less sore as I do more. And a trick I learned - take 4 (800 mg) ibuprofen BEFORE you start. And dig out the vocadin if you need it to get to sleep and kill pain at the same time. I have gotten it for tooth pain and for surgery and I always keep it for just this type of thing. What is that tree with aspirin in the bark? Apparently THAT is what I should be growing...
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/20/2010, 10:08 pm

Chopper wrote: What is that tree with aspirin in the bark? Apparently THAT is what I should be growing...
That's white willow....

Shoda, I know how the aches can keep you from doing - I have some of the same issues. I'll build my next box this weekend, if you'll finish putting yours together.....
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/20/2010, 10:44 pm

Well if you don't finish it you can't post a picture of it to the forum and show it off to the rest of us. Laughing
Are you motivated now?
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Stalled Empty It's my relaxation

Post  SirTravers 5/20/2010, 11:26 pm

After getting beat up driving my fuel truck in the oilpatch all the time the gardening is like therapy. Even setting up the boxes and preparing the mix is relaxing. I just go slow, sip some sweet tea, and enjoy the feel and smell of the mix as I put it all together and in the beds. The powertools and a manly Tim Taylor style grunt at the kids makes it fun too. hehe. lol!
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Kemp 5/21/2010, 12:29 am

One thing I found that helped drive me to finish my third bed was plucking the already grown vegetables from my first two beds and my landscaping boxes.

I'd pull mint out for tea, pluck radishes (even those not quite ready) and even ate the stalks of the cabbage plants that bolted in the first two boxes.

By doing this, I was encouraged to keep going on the third box, which I'd saved for summer planting and all of the plants I REALLY love to eat. I knew I had to keep going so I could keep growing and eating!

Motivation wasn't an issue then--at that point it was all about patience and not pulling too many immature radishes!
Judge Kemp

Male Posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/21/2010, 2:01 am

I KNEW you folks would help!

Chopper - I will try the ibuprofen before I start. Great suggestion!

Judge Kemp - Before I start, I think I will have some home grown mint tea sitting on the bench in the corner of the garden, looking at all I have done so far -- maybe have a radish or two!

SirTravers - I think I can manage a manly grunt or two. Might be fun!

Wyldflower -Thanks, I will work on mine and you work on yours.

Megan -- Massage? Ah... yes, that sounds wonderful! In fact I will call tomorrow and schedule one for Tuesday. If I don't finish, I have to cancel it on Monday. (How is that for a kick in the pants)

Tim - Posting the picture when I am finished will be great. Now you have to oooo and ahhhh!

All of you -- Thanks for the support and I expect you to nag me if I don't make some significant progress on finishing this box! I have melons and winter squash to plant in it!
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  carolintexas 5/21/2010, 3:38 am

My theory is who says it has to be done all in one day...keep it fun! Do what you can when you can or when you want. I am a big fan of breaking tasks down into pieces and if I can get one piece accomplished-great, if i can get several pieces done - awesome and if I could only ponder then that's ok too Stalled Icon_cool . Don't wait til it's finished to post photos...let us see what is going on. On my personal gallery here on the website I put photos of my garden and my family helping me from weed patch to planted box...but it makes me feel good to see all the steps ... enjoying the journey I guess. Hang in there and let us hear from you!
carolintexas

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  dmpower 5/21/2010, 10:24 am

I traded gardening time with a friend. She needed help building her boxes, so we spent a day together building. The next week she returned the favor and came to my house to help (motivate) me to finish some of my tedious chores. It worked so well, we will be trading time throughout the gardening season. It's always a lot of fun having someone work with you in your garden that has the same passions.
dmpower
dmpower

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Stalled Empty Progress!

Post  Shoda 5/24/2010, 12:12 pm

Well I made progress this weekend. The box is almost ready to start filling which means I got most of the yucky stuff done. I have a few PVC hoop supports left to install and then I am going to slowy start filling it.

I will keep you posted! Thanks for the push.
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 5/24/2010, 2:57 pm

Hi Shoda, I'm glad you made progress this weekend. I've been trying to get my 4x4 installed for what feels like forever. We finally got it built, hardware and landscape cloth attached and there it sits on the driveway! Stalled Icon_mad

We are pulling/digging out the area where we will put it. That spot is so full of spring garlic. You may have read on another post about that!. Anyhow, I intend to have the box "installed" by the end of tomorrow -- that's the plans anyhow.

You and I can compare notes tomorrow night!

I always take a couple of ibuprofin before I work and after if I need. At night one benedril for the side effects - SLEEP. Otherwise I dream all night about putting in the garden and am too tired when I wake! Stalled Icon_lol

I'll be sending good vibes your way.

Claire Stalled Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/24/2010, 3:30 pm

I was fortunate that I found a neighbor who would come over and help. The hardware cloth ended up being a two person job for the size boxes I had. Once I called her I knew I couldn't cancel. Also, DH wanted the boxes off the driveway so he could park his car LOL! But I had a hard time staying motivated too.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/24/2010, 3:42 pm

Shoda wrote:How do you motivate yourself to get started? (Besides a kick in the Stalled Icon_redface ) I really need to get this finished and off my todo list. Any help!
I'm with CarolinTexas, break down the tasks, If you get tired of doing one thing move onto another or take a break. I have to keep reminding myself that gardening is a process, not an event. I also sometimes say to myself, "I can do anything for 2 hours". :arrow: The Ibuprofen has been helping. Very Happy
Hang in there!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/27/2010, 2:06 pm

This week has been crazy and I haven't gotten back to it. (My twin's turned 11 on Tuesday, I had to work extra at the office, I have four dogs with colds, etc...) And now it is raining!

The forcast is clear for the weekend so I will take it slow and get it finished. I just have to remind myself how to eat an elephant..... one bite at a time!
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/27/2010, 3:40 pm

Eat the elephant, or swallow the frog! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/27/2010, 10:14 pm

I'm chiming in on the "little bit at a time" bandwagon.

Megan - love that swallow the frog!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  jtwenting 5/28/2010, 2:16 am

Is that all?
I have half the garden yet to build from scratch.
Moved in 18 months ago, place was just one large patio. Last autumn broke out (with friends) part of that and turned it into borders for planting.
That's now growing nicely (well, most of it, the beds of perennial seeds I've sown aren't doing too well, but I guess that's to be expected with the terribly late spring we've had, with frost in may even).
There's still 20 square meters to clear and plant though, just finding it hard to get myself to it. May in fact hire a professional to do it for me, at least up to the planting.
Saves me a lot of backbreaking work...
jtwenting

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 5/28/2010, 11:40 am

Baby steps. That's what I keep telling myself. Baby steps.

That's all ok as long as it isn't two baby steps forward and three big steps backwards Stalled Icon_eek .

I'm off to take another baby step.

Claire Stalled Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/28/2010, 1:20 pm

I was all ready to tear up sod and put in my new irrigation system today, but now hubby wants me to wait until he gets home. Impatient dancing! bounce
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Stalled Empty Almost finished!

Post  Shoda 5/29/2010, 10:45 pm

I spent the day slowly working on the SFG bed. After my coffee this morning, I finished the hardware and hoop supports. I stopped for an early lunch. I made a Spinach salad with home grown spinach, home grown radishes, a few home grown strawberries, chicken, pecans and balsamic vinaigrette. It was so yummy and I felt so healthy.

After lunch, I slowly started to fill the box. It is a pretty big box --- 4' x 8' x 12" deep. Slow and steady wins the race. I did one wheel barrel full of mix, then sat down for a while to admire my work and sip water. Then another wheel barrel, then another short break.

I was kept company by my kids, dogs, a few scrub jays, a deer, some ducks that came by and hawk. None of them offered to help mix.

I got my hubby to grill dinner and kept at it a bit longer. I am very satisified to say that tomorrow after I connect the soaker hoses and add 1-2 more batches of mix it will be finished.

Not bad considering I woke up with a back ache and a headache. I took 3 Advil before I started and I swear I could here you folks cheering me on!

By tomorrow night, I should have the winter squash and melons planted. I will be sure to post pictures!
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/29/2010, 10:50 pm

Not bad considering I woke up with a back ache and a headache. I took 3
Advil before I started and I swear I could here you folks cheering me
on!

I am so excited for you !!! I know the feeling, slow and steady wins the race.

I made a Spinach salad with home grown spinach, home grown radishes, a
few home grown strawberries, chicken, pecans and balsamic vinaigrette.
It was so yummy and I felt so healthy.

And your salad !! oh that sounded so good. I will be thinking of all these as my harvest gets here Smile

Stalled Icon_cheers Here's to you and all you accomplished !!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/30/2010, 3:14 am

I am not sure when I figured it out, but at one point I realized that I could do almost anything I wanted, I just might need to pace myself.

I am doing this alone and am somewhat woodcraft challenged. I was so frustrated at one point making one of these simple 4X4 boxes that I simply dropped everything where it lay on the patio and did not approach it again for several days. I have almost no money coming in either. And with all of that, bit by bit and in small chunks I have managed to build 5 boxes, start a compost pile and get enough MM (or as close to it as possible) for all of it. I still have plans for at least 4 more boxes and I know it will happen in good time. It is worth it.

Of course if I had a bunch of kids running around who insisted on eating daily all bets would be off. Stalled Icon_smile
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2010, 10:08 am

Chopper wrote:I am not sure when I figured it out, but at one point I realized that I could do almost anything I wanted, I just might need to pace myself.

I am doing this alone and am somewhat woodcraft challenged. I was so frustrated at one point making one of these simple 4X4 boxes that I simply dropped everything where it lay on the patio and did not approach it again for several days. I have almost no money coming in either. And with all of that, bit by bit and in small chunks I have managed to build 5 boxes, start a compost pile and get enough MM (or as close to it as possible) for all of it. I still have plans for at least 4 more boxes and I know it will happen in good time. It is worth it.

Of course if I had a bunch of kids running around who insisted on eating daily all bets would be off. Stalled Icon_smile
+1 Hang in there Chopper, you are not alone. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/31/2010, 8:34 pm

Chopper - I certainly know the feeling. That is great that you have worked through it and got them put up! Bravo!

I finished the box yesterday and got it filled. When I was sitting down looking at my hard work, my 11 year old daughter trotted up and had a big smile on her face. She was JAZZED that the box was done and was chatting about what to plant. Then she looked at it funny and said..
. "Mom... something's wrong with the box. It's not done yet, it needs its squares." Stalled Icon_lol Stalled Icon_lol Stalled Icon_lol

So we ran around and found some bamboo and some green garden stacks and put together a grid. "Now it is done! Great job MOM!"

So here is the picture!

Stalled Img_0010
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next