Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+47
donnainzone5
JAM23
Soose
Hawgwild
NAR56
Jenn-NOLA
Momofsix6!
Hip2B
Bean boy
rgassen
Simso
Dunkinjean
Cherbear
sonofson
Blossom137
llama momma
kauairosina
p14shooter
AuntieBeth
Hypogeiody
CitizenKate
OldCrow
lvanderb
Emily49
mollyhespra
FL Garden Gal
Kelejan
JohnKelly
Mikesgardn
Judy McConnell
MrBooker
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
bluelacedredhead
markqz
hammock gal
CapeCoddess
trolleydriver
johnbmarek
LilBittyBean
plantoid
sanderson
countrynaturals
OhioGardener
Scorpio Rising
yolos
51 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/11/2020, 10:00 pm

Nice!  I made chili with my garlic, onions and peppers!  Fresh bells and 2 frozen jalapeños from lasts year, very tasty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  yolos 10/11/2020, 10:51 pm

Lady Cowpeas.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/12/2020, 8:02 pm

yolos wrote:Lady Cowpeas.
What are they, yolos?  What do they taste like?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/12/2020, 9:45 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
yolos wrote:Lady Cowpeas.
What are they, yolos?  What do they taste like?
They are cowpeas.  Similar to blackeye peas.  I harvest mine immature (green, not dried) and cook them just like you would blackeye peas.  But they are smaller and better tasting.  I actually like Pinkeye Purple Hull cowpeas better.  They love hot weather so, after potatoes, shell peas, broccoli and garlic are finished I have plenty of room for the cowpeas.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/13/2020, 4:10 pm

As much as I liked the tulle, I think the agribon is working even better. After months of discarding bug-chewed leaves, I've finally starting to get some nice Swiss Chard and Russian Kale. We had this on bread with cheese for lunch (it's served kind of like a half-wrap sandwich) :

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 76zBIZN
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/13/2020, 4:19 pm

Tonight as part of our lamb hot pot evening meal we had from our garden :-  two onions , a carrot ,  some of the last baby beet roots , a small kohlrabi & the last of our red climbing beans .  The lamb itself was civen a thick layer of mashed white potato , sweet potato  fine chopped fried onion ( from yesterday ) and a few spoons  of left over grated  Lymeswold cheese .

I must confess it was far better than it sounds ( I'm still drooling about the taste of it three hours later ) .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/13/2020, 6:19 pm

Yum!  What’s Lymeswold cheese, plantoid?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty From Kauai garden

Post  kauairosina 10/15/2020, 7:57 pm

Harvested the last of the first picking of asparagus. We get lots of different types of lettuce, kohlrabi, lots of different types of kale, dandelions, and sweet basil, Thai basil and parsley. 

Life is good.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/25/2020, 6:52 pm

Onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, celery and Swiss chard in a wonderful wild rice and mushroom soup!  It was delicious!  

Only one onion left this year ( had a bad harvest) so that is a bummer.  

Here is the recipe;

https://pin.it/7ybqeqr

Very tasty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/26/2020, 5:23 pm

I blanched and froze a couple pounds of kale .... for the chickens.  There were worms and eggs and I had grand dreams of putting kale in my smoothies, no thank you  Evil or Very Mad
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/26/2020, 7:05 pm

llama momma wrote:I blanched and froze a couple pounds of kale .... for the chickens.  There were worms and eggs and I had grand dreams of putting kale in my smoothies, no thank you  Evil or Very Mad
lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/27/2020, 1:37 pm

llama momma wrote:I blanched and froze a couple pounds of kale .... for the chickens.  There were worms and eggs and I had grand dreams of putting kale in my smoothies, no thank you  Evil or Very Mad

Kale smoothie -- now with extra entomophagic protein!

That's pretty much how my kale came out before covering with agribon. I thought brassica family members were supposed to be too bitter for insects. No, insects love 'em.

Here's the current harvest. But I don't think anyone here will drink kale smoothies. They'll probably go into stir fry:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 TCg4aj0

And here's the covered agribon gardens:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 TDaGgF7

They haven't had a real rain yet -- hopefully they'll hold up to it.

So, do you really have llamas ? That would be pretty cool.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/27/2020, 3:13 pm

One great thing about growing Kale, Swiss Chard, and Spinach this time of the year is that the cabbage moths are gone for the year and there will be no more cabbage worms on the leaves.  During the summer months, I keep them sprayed with Bt or Spinosad to keep the cabbage worms under control, but I don't have to worry about that at this time of the year. Picked some beautiful Dinosaur Kale today. There is spinach and chard ready to pick, but there is no room in the fridge for it right now.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/27/2020, 4:49 pm

OhioGardener wrote:One great thing about growing Kale, Swiss Chard, and Spinach this time of the year is that the cabbage moths are gone for the year and there will be no more cabbage worms on the leaves.  During the summer months, I keep them sprayed with Bt or Spinosad to keep the cabbage worms under control, but I don't have to worry about that at this time of the year. Picked some beautiful Dinosaur Kale today. There is spinach and chard ready to pick, but there is no room in the fridge for it right now.

Well, we have the worms and also mildew on the dinosaur kale all year, though at reduced levels from now until spring. Is there particular brands of Bt or Spinosad you recommend? The dinosaur kale in the front yard is now on it's 3rd year. It's probably time to start over since it's flowered. But mostly it's the bugs that are a problem. I've had one's that grew to about 8 feet before they fell over.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/27/2020, 6:47 pm

Mark, I use Bonide Thuricide Btk (Bacillus thuringiensis v. kurstaki) when I can get it - the local stores seemed to stay out of stock this summer for some reason - or Bonide Captain Jack's Deadbug (Spinosad) when I can't get Bt.  Spraying the Btk every 7 days completely controls the cabbage worms for me. But, the Spinosad I have to spray when I spot eggs or worm activity.  The Bonide products are available here at the local Lowe's store.

My kale will keep producing until a heavy freeze kills them, usually about the 3rd week of November. The Swiss Chard will take a light freeze, but it is stunted after that.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/2/2020, 4:45 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Yum!  What’s Lymeswold cheese, plantoid?
It's a recent laboratory designed & developed cheese  gven a traditional sounding name .. it's a light yellow and a bit plasticy  with not a lot of flavour the sort of stuff you might grate ove cooked cauli before putting them under the grill to brown up a little bit 

Lymeswold cheese - Wikipedia

[url=https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lymes wold cheese+site:en.wikipedia.org]What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Wikipedia[/url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymeswold_cheese
Lymeswold cheese (1982-1992) was an English cheese variety. Many English cheeses are named after regions but Lymeswold was not; the name was the result of a public competition to name it, the winning name may have been derived from a quintessential English place name Wymeswold.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F3%2F3c%2FBandaged_Wrapped_Cheddar
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/2/2020, 4:56 pm

Tonight for evening meal we had last years canned  home grown carrots in a tortellini & tomato based sauce slop made with canned toms our own onions onions shop purchased ...red pepper , mushrooms & garlic . on the side of the plate home grown broccoli & this years fresh carrot as butter fried batons . 
 More than a bit heavy on the carbs though so I doubt I'll have lost any weight by the morning.  

I've lost 15 pounds  in a month so far , just by leaving out fried food , sugar and high carb processed stuff like bread, pastry , biscuits etc.  The best thing is I've not missed them or felt I've gone on a diet as I'm always feeling full after the meals .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/2/2020, 5:00 pm

markqz wrote:

Kale smoothie -- now with extra entomophagic protein!

That's pretty much how my kale came out before covering with agribon. I thought brassica family members were supposed to be too bitter for insects. No, insects love 'em.

Here's the current harvest. But I don't think anyone here will drink kale smoothies. They'll probably go into stir fry:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 TCg4aj0

And here's the covered agribon gardens:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 TDaGgF7

They haven't had a real rain yet -- hopefully they'll hold up to it.

So, do you really have llamas ? That would be pretty cool.

Submerge the grenery in a strong salt solution for two hours .. then rinse & shake rinse it under running water .. the caterpillairs fall out . the salt  doe them in . 
Laughing  Consider any you miss as free home grown protein . rofl
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 11/21/2020, 8:35 pm

Here in Maryland, I am still harvesting my fall lettuce.  Had a salad made with it tonight.  Also have some good collard green plants that I plan to harvest for Thanksgiving.  It's been a good year.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 285

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/3/2020, 9:52 am

Yesterday's lunch included garden grown celeriac, roasted in a solar oven with onions. This is about half the batch since I didn't grab the camera fast enough:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 YpEpAUJ

It tasted something like celery-flavored potato bits. I'm not sure it justified a year or so of growing. Though, during the spring and summer, we also used a lot of celeriac foliage for stir fry. The main thing is that, once you get it started, it requires very little maintenance.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/4/2020, 10:04 am

Been covering my lettuce to keep it from freezing so still harvesting salads.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/4/2020, 5:55 pm

Picked lettuce out of the cold frame today, and had a delicious salad with it for dinner. Last winter was mild enough that we harvested lettuce all winter long, don't know if we'll be so lucky this year as they are predicting a colder than normal winter.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 12/12/2020, 3:12 am

Picked a small amount of basil to make a sandwich for lunch consisting of cheese, tomato, basil and a couple of slices of hot salami.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom137 12/13/2020, 6:08 am

Today for breakfast I had a salad with home grown lettuce and spinach. I have also added red cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. Corn was unfortunately bought! Sad But still it was very tasty!
Blossom137
Blossom137

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/13/2020, 2:23 pm

That all sounds so wonderful!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next