Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix
by riled Yesterday at 7:43 pm

» Corn Growing
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:22 pm

» Areogardening
by Scorpio Rising 1/23/2022, 2:15 pm

» Seed Starting Indoors
by markqz 1/22/2022, 8:53 pm

» Hello from North Central Idaho
by Scorpio Rising 1/22/2022, 10:02 am

» Sweet Potato Slips - Buy or Grow?
by sanderson 1/21/2022, 10:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 1/20/2022, 6:57 am

» N & C Midwest: Jan & Feb 2022!
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2022, 9:26 pm

» Hi from Eastern NC (Zone 8a)
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2022, 9:22 pm

» Watering sfg
by sanderson 1/19/2022, 6:28 pm

» Starting plants with seed starting kit
by sanderson 1/19/2022, 6:04 pm

» Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic
by sanderson 1/19/2022, 5:54 pm

» Hello from San jose, ca zone 9
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2022, 1:54 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by sanderson 1/18/2022, 3:48 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2022, 9:14 pm

» .?? Sfg to conventional bearing vegetables
by sanderson 1/17/2022, 1:32 pm

» Hello From Wilmington NC zone 8a
by sanderson 1/16/2022, 5:43 pm

» New SFG Instructor
by sanderson 1/16/2022, 2:30 pm

» Greenhouse sizes
by sanderson 1/15/2022, 7:02 pm

» Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California
by sanderson 1/12/2022, 12:26 am

» Watermelons and trellis
by Simso 1/11/2022, 7:32 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by donnainzone5 1/11/2022, 6:49 pm

» Compost?
by sanderson 1/10/2022, 4:54 pm

» January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 1/9/2022, 5:49 pm

» Does anyone have any fruit trees?
by sanderson 1/9/2022, 5:39 pm

» Mel's Mix: Replenishing
by sanderson 1/9/2022, 5:38 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by markqz 1/9/2022, 4:59 pm

» Hello from North Texas zone 8a
by sanderson 1/7/2022, 6:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

+3
sanderson
Dan in Ct
yolos
7 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  sanderson 9/24/2021, 1:28 am

@OhioGardener wrote: It is fascinating to study the microbial life in the soil, and it is all Jeff Lowenfels fault for publishing Teaming with Microbes! Smile
Razz Love that book!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19846

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty Microcosmos

Post  has55 9/29/2021, 6:22 pm

Wow, awesome website. Thank you Sanderson.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty JSB with removable top for easy access into the container after it matures

Post  has55 10/3/2021, 4:42 pm

when I replace the tubes with shorter ones, I will leave the removable top off. This way, I will only have to remove the top to get at the compost. I will put the removable top back in place when I filled the composter up for another year. I really enjoy only having to fill it once and not have to turn it, just give it time to mature.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty JSB- discussing putting in shorter tubes, removable top and easy on and off lid updates

Post  has55 10/19/2021, 8:16 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  has55 11/24/2021, 2:26 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty job at 21"-23" sample collection for testing of microbes

Post  has55 11/25/2021, 12:19 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/30/2021, 1:24 pm

That's good looking compost. Do you screen it to remove the wood pieces? Do you do any regular composting?

The extension section: Is that to build a tall pile, removing it as the material settles?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19846

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/6/2021, 9:10 am

@sanderson wrote:That's good looking compost.  Do you screen it to remove the wood pieces?  Do you do any regular composting?

The extension section:  Is that to build a tall pile, removing it as the material settles?
I be posting the test result soon. Right now I have apply to application of compost extract approx 1 month apart. just been too busy with work and other company. I want to apply at least 3-4 more application before the freeze come. don;t know if I can squeeze it end. It takes about 30 mins for me to fill a 40 gal brute garbage can, unlock the humid acid in the compost to tie up the chlorine and chloramines, get the pump ready, then pump it out unto the soil. It takes about 10 mins to empty the garbage can. I have 15 beds and will be adding my last 3 beds this winter for a total of 18 beds. I placed the compost in tealab compost brew bags brew bags. It allows me to massage the bag to knock off the microbes. most of the compost goes thru the bag leaving those wood pieces. I dump the residue on a garden bag. 
I like the method of doing one time and waiting a year for it too be ready. A year is going to come anyway. Two IBC tote is better or alternate schedule like one starting in  march and another in swept.You can spread the compost around with pone and make compost extract with the other. Keep in mind, it a lot of compost. I spread all my compost from my first bioreactor onto all my plants. I was surprised how much compost was in the container. The compost is about 2.5 ft high and 4 ft wide. I don't do any regular composting because I hate turning piles frequently. You have to know your type of personality when it comes to turning compost. Everyone who has been following me knows I'm a lazy gardener, sooooo turning compost the old fashion ways don't work for me. I tried it, stayed with it for about three months, then I abandoned the ship before the crew Leaving the compost pile to save it self, but it sinked to the bottom of the ground consumed by the earth.Very Happy 
I love the IBC tote idea which is a standard size. I had to make the portable top so I easily have access to the compost. This part is great. So the compost drops from five feet to 2.5 ft. This is why your mini bioreactor drop so much when you did it. For you and other a smaller tote approx 2.5-3 ft wide to 4ft to 5 ft high would work for a small SFG. you are encourage to let it mature for a year or longer to have a large variety of microbes to assist in the nutrient cycling process.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/7/2021, 5:24 am

I forgot to add that a 5 gallon bucket will add a lot of compost extract to a small SFG beds setup. It will go a long way. Sanderson I think it can be done in your compost bin, but put a pallet with weed cloth at the bottom and on the sides. should  put in 4-5 pipes approx 1 ft apart if it's a 4x4 compost bin, less if it a 3x3 bin and they should stay in/ Wrapped the pipes in weed cloth too. I found after the worms are added they cause the holes to close. Use woodchips by itself or mix in layers with leaves. it will drop down to about 1 to 1.5 foot high, maybe two ft when mature. That will many, many 5 gallons of compost extract. You can make compost tea from it too. use the teas to cover the leaves. extract is for the soil, but honestly I spray everything.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum