Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

+3
sanderson
Dan in Ct
yolos
7 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  sanderson 9/24/2021, 1:28 am

OhioGardener wrote: It is fascinating to study the microbial life in the soil, and it is all Jeff Lowenfels fault for publishing Teaming with Microbes! Smile
Razz Love that book!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty Microcosmos

Post  has55 9/29/2021, 6:22 pm

Wow, awesome website. Thank you Sanderson.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty JSB with removable top for easy access into the container after it matures

Post  has55 10/3/2021, 4:42 pm

when I replace the tubes with shorter ones, I will leave the removable top off. This way, I will only have to remove the top to get at the compost. I will put the removable top back in place when I filled the composter up for another year. I really enjoy only having to fill it once and not have to turn it, just give it time to mature.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty JSB- discussing putting in shorter tubes, removable top and easy on and off lid updates

Post  has55 10/19/2021, 8:16 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  has55 11/24/2021, 2:26 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty job at 21"-23" sample collection for testing of microbes

Post  has55 11/25/2021, 12:19 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/30/2021, 1:24 pm

That's good looking compost. Do you screen it to remove the wood pieces? Do you do any regular composting?

The extension section: Is that to build a tall pile, removing it as the material settles?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/6/2021, 9:10 am

sanderson wrote:That's good looking compost.  Do you screen it to remove the wood pieces?  Do you do any regular composting?

The extension section:  Is that to build a tall pile, removing it as the material settles?
I be posting the test result soon. Right now I have apply to application of compost extract approx 1 month apart. just been too busy with work and other company. I want to apply at least 3-4 more application before the freeze come. don;t know if I can squeeze it end. It takes about 30 mins for me to fill a 40 gal brute garbage can, unlock the humid acid in the compost to tie up the chlorine and chloramines, get the pump ready, then pump it out unto the soil. It takes about 10 mins to empty the garbage can. I have 15 beds and will be adding my last 3 beds this winter for a total of 18 beds. I placed the compost in tealab compost brew bags brew bags. It allows me to massage the bag to knock off the microbes. most of the compost goes thru the bag leaving those wood pieces. I dump the residue on a garden bag. 
I like the method of doing one time and waiting a year for it too be ready. A year is going to come anyway. Two IBC tote is better or alternate schedule like one starting in  march and another in swept.You can spread the compost around with pone and make compost extract with the other. Keep in mind, it a lot of compost. I spread all my compost from my first bioreactor onto all my plants. I was surprised how much compost was in the container. The compost is about 2.5 ft high and 4 ft wide. I don't do any regular composting because I hate turning piles frequently. You have to know your type of personality when it comes to turning compost. Everyone who has been following me knows I'm a lazy gardener, sooooo turning compost the old fashion ways don't work for me. I tried it, stayed with it for about three months, then I abandoned the ship before the crew Leaving the compost pile to save it self, but it sinked to the bottom of the ground consumed by the earth.Very Happy 
I love the IBC tote idea which is a standard size. I had to make the portable top so I easily have access to the compost. This part is great. So the compost drops from five feet to 2.5 ft. This is why your mini bioreactor drop so much when you did it. For you and other a smaller tote approx 2.5-3 ft wide to 4ft to 5 ft high would work for a small SFG. you are encourage to let it mature for a year or longer to have a large variety of microbes to assist in the nutrient cycling process.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/7/2021, 5:24 am

I forgot to add that a 5 gallon bucket will add a lot of compost extract to a small SFG beds setup. It will go a long way. Sanderson I think it can be done in your compost bin, but put a pallet with weed cloth at the bottom and on the sides. should  put in 4-5 pipes approx 1 ft apart if it's a 4x4 compost bin, less if it a 3x3 bin and they should stay in/ Wrapped the pipes in weed cloth too. I found after the worms are added they cause the holes to close. Use woodchips by itself or mix in layers with leaves. it will drop down to about 1 to 1.5 foot high, maybe two ft when mature. That will many, many 5 gallons of compost extract. You can make compost tea from it too. use the teas to cover the leaves. extract is for the soil, but honestly I spray everything.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/22/2022, 3:09 am

I'm late getting data results out.
I had testing done on my JSB last fall, 11/2021 at 5 inch, 15 inch and 22 inches deep, near the bottom. This is my report.

5 inch report with pictures
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so11
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so10

FOV_1_Fungi
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Fov_1_10

Fungi_Spore
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Fungi_10
Fungi
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Fungi10

Testate
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Testat10

Thk Fungi
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Thk_fu10

Testate_2

NEMATODES Extraction_Nov 4th 2021, 5 Inch Sample
40X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 40x_110

40X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 40x_210

40X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 40x_310

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 40x_410
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_110
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_210The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_310
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_410
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/22/2022, 3:44 am

15 inch deep, 11-4-2021
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so13
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so12

Empty test
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty_10

Fungi
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Fungi11

Germinating Spore
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Germin10

spores
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Spores10

Testate
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Testat12

Unknown...
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Unknow10

Nematode Extraction_Nov 4th 2021, 15 Inch Sample 
TTE_Soil Report_R3_AustinSmith_Nematode Extraction_211105
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so14

Bac_Omni_400X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Bac_om10

BF_400X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Bac_om11

BF
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Bf10

Fungi_Aggregate_100X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Fungi_11

Large RF
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Large_10

Potworm 400X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Potwor11

Potworm Mouth_100X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Potwor10

Potworm Mouth_100X

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Potwor13

Pred_100X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Pred_110

RF 400X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Rf_40010

Rotifer_100X
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Rotife10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/22/2022, 4:02 am

22 Inch deep, Nov 30
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so15
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so16

100x Fungi

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_f10

Amoeba

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Amoeba10

Arcella
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Arcell10

Empty Test
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Empty_11

Fungi
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Fungi12

Mite
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Mite10

Nematode Egg
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Nemato10

Similar Fungi Spores

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Simila10

nematodes Extraction at 22" deep
TTE_Soil Report_R3_AustinSmith_22inchDeep_Extraction
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 Tte_so17
100X Compare
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_c10

100x_Giant Nematode
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_g11

100x_Giant Nematode2
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 5 100x_g10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2022, 2:11 pm

What is your take away from the report?

To me, it looks like the F:B is good for gardening compost. Is there anything you would do differently on your next batch? Or are you going to try it again?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/28/2023, 12:09 am

sanderson wrote:What is your take away from the report?

To me, it looks like the F:B is good for gardening compost.  Is there anything you would do differently on your next batch?  Or are you going to try it again?
I using wood chips, molasses, and llama manure. just completed another one. This year I will be doing soil drenching and leaf spraying with the compost extract on some vegetable. soil inoculation for seeds when planting after I have it tested.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5