Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Toplef10The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Toplef10The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

+6
sanderson
plantoid
Turan
camprn
AtlantaMarie
has55
10 posters

Go down

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Empty The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Post  has55 1/25/2015, 3:49 pm

Most of know never to add cat and dog feces to our compost piles. here is the List:

NEVER COMPOST:
Bread products: This includes cakes, pasta and most baked goods. Put any of these items in your compost pile, and you've rolled out the welcome mat for unwanted pests.

Cooking oil: Smells like food to animal and insect visitors. It can also upset the compost's moisture balance.

Diseased plants: Trash them, instead. You don't want to transfer fungal or bacterial problems to whatever ends up growing in your finished compost.

Heavily coated or printed paper: This is a long list, including magazines, catalogs, printed cards and most printed or metallic wrapping paper. Foils don't break down, and you don't need a bunch of exotic printing chemicals in your compost.

Human or animal feces: Too much of a health risk. This includes kitty litter. Waste and bedding from non-carnivorous pets should be fine.

Meat products: This includes bones, blood, fish and animal fats. Another pest magnet.

Milk products: Refrain from composting milk, cheese, yogurt and cream. While they'll certainly degrade, they are attractive to pests.

Rice: Cooked rice is unusually fertile breeding ground for the kinds of bacteria that you don't want in your pile. Raw rice attracts varmints.

Sawdust: So tempting. But unless you know the wood it came from was untreated, stay away.

Stubborn garden plants: Dandelions, ivy and kudzu are examples of plants or weeds which will probably regard your compost heap as a great place to grow, rather than decompose.

Used personal products: Tampons, diapers and items soiled in human blood or fluids are a health risk.

Walnuts: These contain juglone, a natural aromatic compound toxic to some plants.

NEVER, I MEAN NEVER, ADD THIS TO YOUR COMPOST PILE. THE HEALTH RISK IS TOO HIGH AND LEGALITY IS OUT THE ROOF!!!!

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Forbid10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/25/2015, 4:00 pm

funny post lol!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5603

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Post  camprn 1/25/2015, 4:20 pm

I disagree with quite a bit of this list. I do add to my compost pile spoiled dairy, moldy bread, done in rice, fish leavings if I can get 'em, but they get buried deep in the pile, animal poo, like goat, cow, horse, llama, bunnie, duck, chicken,etc. Feathers, if I can get 'em...

However I agree and I don't add to my compost pile the following items: fats, feces of meat eaters, diseased plants, glossy newspaper inserts, metals, sawdust, used personal hygiene items, pest vines and their roots, to name a few.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/25/2015, 4:46 pm

But Hass! That is how I want to go!  I told my DH to just add me into the compost pile when I die.  He keeps objecting saying the neighbors might object. I think he is squeamish about turning the pile.  Jeeeeeesh Rolling Eyes

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2624

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/25/2015, 5:16 pm

Nice one Hass,

I put most of what's on the list save for sanitary items ( I'm a fella & don't use them  Laughing ) and cat/dog muck without any problem .
Heavy metal inks are a thing of the past here in the UK

Years ago as a wee bairn in the mid 1950's even the chemical toilet contents went on the muck heap along with the cleanings from the pigsty , chicken shed , unused blood from the pig kill /cow kill all bones we didn't boil up etc . Rinse wash water from ladies towels
We never had rice,  Dad refused to eat it or have it in the home ,after a few months or so of eating it and little else whilst playing soldiers behind enemy lines in Burma / India .
 Newspapers but not glossies were torn into quarters and hung from a nail on the brick shhhhh ! house wall .
Most of the glossies , (never many ) were used for getting the fire going if they were not needed for lining heavy rubber wellington boots ( helped keep feet warm & dry for a while  ) . The used ones were left to dry and then burnt in the fire starting .

Sure we had a rat & mice problem , but a bi weekly hunt in the evening around the place ( All weathers ) with a No3 garden shotgun helped provide entertainment for my dad & big bro & kept numbers down . It helped keep the farm cats fit and fed as well .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/25/2015, 5:18 pm

Turan wrote:But Hass! That is how I want to go!  I told my DH to just add me into the compost pile when I die.  He keeps objecting saying the neighbors might object. I think he is squeamish about turning the pile.  Jeeeeeesh Rolling Eyes

Wink A guy here in the UK called Nielson solved that problem with a cleaver and mincer apparently. What a Face .

He could also feed you to the pigs first and get added value from the event .  Razz
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/25/2015, 6:24 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:funny post lol!
+1 rofl

PS: I do add past due non-fat milk and yogurts, moldy whole wheat bread, rancid grains and nuts, and of course, porcine dried blood meal. The cage has a hardware cloth lining on three sides and boards on the 4th.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21616

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  steve638 1/25/2015, 8:06 pm

Thanks for the post, didn't know to add rice or walnuts.  There's always something to learn.  cyclops

Thank you, 

Stephen
steve638
steve638

Male Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/25/2015, 8:25 pm

Stephen, It's more what can you add in small amounts, rather than what you should add.  It's a nice way to clean out some of the old winter provisions in the pantry in the spring and plain frozen veggies and fruits that have thawed and frozen multiple times in the self-defrosting models.

Composting road kill (TV series Longmire) and commercial operation poultry mortality is a best left to specialized operations, not us back yard or rural gardeners.

Has, see what you started! Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/25/2015, 10:21 pm

Turan wrote:But Hass! That is how I want to go!  I told my DH to just add me into the compost pile when I die.  He keeps objecting saying the neighbors might object. I think he is squeamish about turning the pile.  Jeeeeeesh Rolling Eyes

I quickly just grab some type of listing off the internet as a lead in to the picture. Nothing serious, just good old SFG fun. But some good pointers/ ideas has came out of this thread TURAN, SEE YOU AROUND THE COMPOSTING PILE.  Smile .
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/25/2015, 10:21 pm

Rice can certainly be added to the compost pile without any lasting problems. And it's black walnut tree products to not add to compost or garden.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/26/2015, 12:01 am

camprn wrote:Rice can certainly be added to the compost pile without any lasting problems.  And it's black walnut tree products to not add to compost or garden.

black walnut will stop almost anything from growing. It's a strong growth inhibitor.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/26/2015, 6:39 am

has55 wrote:
camprn wrote:Rice can certainly be added to the compost pile without any lasting problems.  And it's black walnut tree products to not add to compost or garden.

black walnut will stop almost anything from growing. It's a strong growth inhibitor.
Yes, all products of the tree, including leaves, will inhibit growth of other plants.
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/050811.html

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/26/2015, 8:22 pm

"cough, cough". 
She and he beds completely filled with different composting material. will turned every week to speed up composting/decomposing in 60 days, just in time for my cantaloupe and watermelon. I used this method called "sheet composting" when I was a organic farmer for three years. Of course this was in field gardening/farming. I didn't have to wait months, but tilled the soil once a week for 3 weeks. after that, the micro life had it ready in two months. Got that idea from Dick Raymond book -"The Joy Of Gardening." 

"COUGH,COUGH". Sorry about the coughing. getting more difficult to breathe in here and there not much light left on my iPhone to finish texting this post. Someone thought it was funny to cover me when I was down there testing out the size of the bed. I think it was Alfred. Alfred Hitchcock. trying to hang in there to finish the post, trying to hang in there, trying to hang, trying......911,help.

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! New_sf10

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! He_and10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/27/2015, 12:28 am

rofl

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2624

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/27/2015, 3:20 am

rofl
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/27/2015, 3:50 am

rofl rofl rofl
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/27/2015, 7:05 am

HAS55....  HAS55....  Are you there, HAS55? 

SPEAK to us! 

Help us find you!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 1/27/2015, 10:54 am

WE don't put kitty droppings in our compost pile or garden boxes we dont have to the kittys do it for us. tongue
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/27/2015, 11:45 am

The SFG Journey-Forbidden Composting material. !!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! 931411784
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 1/28/2015, 5:36 pm

Thanks for the good laugh lol! funny post
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/28/2015, 7:04 pm

+1!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down