Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

+3
sanderson
Dan in Ct
yolos
7 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  has55 4/10/2019, 9:14 am

2nd Bioreactor ready for Filling. showing air vents after applying weed covering.
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 2nd_bi10

air vents cut out in weed cloth with a couple of air vent pipes in place.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 2nd_bi11

wired support to keep stabilized when filling it up.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 2nd_bi12

IT now ready for filling.
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 2nd_bi13
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  Dan in Ct 4/10/2019, 9:16 am

I believe the difference in having it up off the ground is than no part goes anaerobic and the watering keeps the total at an ideal moisture level as the microbiology needs this to be alive and thrive. The off the ground allows the system to drain in the event of torrential downpours although I don't like and am cautious about systems that loose contact with planet Earth and are closed off from the atmosphere. But this is just me dealing with synchronicity, the inter-relatedness of everything and in trying to complete the circles in the universe's game of tic-tac-toe. There is one exception to this as I try bokashi and hoping to make a biodigester this year some time to compost food wastes that can't be composted now. The end product I hope becomes worm food for a more nutrient diverse vermicompost.

Here is a link to The Green Cone Solar Digester. Too expensive for The Crazy Half Acre's budget this year but does basically outdoors what I want to do with my DIY biodigester which is more of a fermentation process.

OhioGardener, thank you for the link to the print version of the composting bioreactor.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 4/10/2019, 9:18 am

Forgot the link. This is the type of thing if it keeps happening I will end up in The Home.

http://www.greenconeusa.com/green-cone-solar-food-waste-digester.html
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/10/2019, 11:22 am

Dan in Ct wrote:Forgot the link. This is the type of thing if it keeps happening I will end up in The Home.

http://www.greenconeusa.com/green-cone-solar-food-waste-digester.html
I like the idea, but pricey. I'm close to doing this with my portable in ground vermicomposting buckets using 2.5-gallon lowes buckets and 10" valve cover. I can remove the bucket to use the vermicompost for fertilizing when I plant, side dress, etc... What I like about the cone system is the height to put the food waste in.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Vermic15
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Vermic14
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Vermic13
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/10/2019, 11:32 am

hass - I tried your blue bucket system - the ants loved it and I had to take it out of the garden.  We have ants all over the area that bite and leave welts anywhere they crawl.  Had to remove the bucket after just one day because the ants found it speedily.  I can't use the cone either because the bucket is open to the ants.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/10/2019, 2:32 pm

yolos wrote:hass - I tried your blue bucket system - the ants loved it and I had to take it out of the garden.  We have ants all over the area that bite and leave welts anywhere they crawl.  Had to remove the bucket after just one day because the ants found it speedily.  I can't use the cone either because the bucket is open to the ants.
here's the remedy. place in a closed container and cut 1/4" holes so the roach and ants get in.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/10/2019, 9:14 am

I been very slow in putting up  my completion photos of the second Composting bioreactor. I finished building it last month, a couple of weeks ago, but too busy to post. We've had lots of rain and my first composter went from 74 degrees back to the 90's, maybe up to 102-104, I think. So my worms may have died. I'll see when I upload these old pictures. I just got the system on a orbit battery operated timer, so no more manual 1 min watering. The temp in #2 bioreactor  is approx. 134 degrees. 

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Img_0431
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Img_0510
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 1st_co12

here's the temp range of bed two. That's not 198 degrees, but 119.8 degrees.. both pictures are from bioreactor 2.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Temp_210

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Temper10

Biorector 1,found worm on the compost, does not seem stressed.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Worm_o11

found worm on the wire after rain, does not seem stressed. I have not seen any other worms
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Worm_o10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/14/2019, 1:47 am

I'm still watching. Besides mowed leaves, what else did you add? Food scraps? I'm wondering if I could add horse manure like I do with the tumbler? Alfalfa pellets? Mowed alfalfa hay and bedding straw? Coffee grounds? I would use the 3'x3'x3' wood bin, putting spacers between the removable front boards. I would use 4 sections of this pipe: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-in-x-10-ft-Perforated-Drain-Pipe-3520010/100211705

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/18/2019, 6:26 pm

Sanderson, in the 1st composting bioreactor I added chicken and Llama manures and shredded leaves for the filling, but in the 2nd bioreactor, leftover chicken and Llama manures and shredded leaves, plus some coffee grounds and alfalfa pellets-50 lbs bag. The next time during late fall, I will use all leaves since it matures in 6 months. I'm pushing 6 months for both bioreactors, we'll see.
My Temps on both bioreactors are about 94-95 degrees, so I have not added any worms to #2 or any Alabama jumpers to #1. I'm not sure why it taking #1 so long to cool down. I just posted those questions to the Johnson SU Composting facebook group Forum.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Img_0611
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Img_0612
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Img_0610

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/18/2019, 6:48 pm

Sanderson, since you're watching, there's great ideas at the facebook Johnson Su Composting bioreactor group.

Johnson Su Composting Bioreactor Facebook Group
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/21/2019, 3:05 am

Thanks, I asked to join.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/21/2019, 11:27 am

sanderson wrote:Thanks, I asked to join.
cheers
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/25/2019, 3:30 am

Sanderson, are you still thinking about making a compost bioreactor? Has the Facebook been helpful?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/25/2019, 3:46 am

Still thinking about it. It would be in the 3'x3'x3' compost bin and I am afraid the temps won't reach 160*F like they did with my Berkeley hot piles. I do NOT want seeds in the SFG beds. Maybe add another foot with garden fencing on top? It should "melt" down to 3' pretty fast so I can close the lid. This will be probably my last year making compost so I am really thinking about this. Maybe if I added extra nitrogen / greens to the pile to force it to reach high temps. ?? Regarding the FB page, some of the folks seem to make up their own idea of what should go in and what shouldn't. Razz Stay tuned.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/26/2019, 9:52 am

sanderson wrote: Regarding the FB page, some of the folks seem to make up their own idea of what should go in and what shouldn't.  Razz  Stay tuned.
you're right. I decided I only want to use leaves for my next one. They said the heat won't make a difference. with the airflow and later the worm it will become a very good compost bin.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/9/2019, 1:41 am

last week I found my holes had collapsed. so I used a posthole digger tool to reopened the holes. It actually came out better because the posthole tool makes a larger hole and allow more air to enter. I was able to add worms 24 hrs later because the temp dropped down to 80 degrees. On my next bioreactor, I'm going to enlarge the hole with the posthole digger 2-3 days after I pulled the pipes out.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 One_ho10
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Pot_ho10
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Thr_du10

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Dugged10

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/9/2019, 12:22 pm

How tall are the frames? I noticed you filled to the top to start. What materials did you use? All leaves? Any juicing pulp? Manure? Do you know why the holes collapsed? Someone on the FB site also mentioned it happened to his holes.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/9/2019, 3:32 pm

sanderson wrote:How tall are the frames?
height-48". Width-45"

I noticed you filled to the top to start.  What materials did you use?

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Empty  has55 on 5/18/2019, 5:26 pm

Sanderson, in the 1st composting bioreactor I added chicken and Llama manures and shredded leaves for the filling, but in the 2nd bioreactor, leftover chicken and Llama manures and shredded leaves, plus some coffee grounds and alfalfa pellets-50 lbs bag. The next time during late fall, I will use all leaves since it matures in 6 months. I'm pushing 6 months for both bioreactors, we'll see.
My Temps on both bioreactors are about 94-95 degrees, so I have not added any worms to #2 or any Alabama jumpers to #1. I'm not sure why it taking #1 so long to cool down.

All leaves?  I will do the 3rd one with all leaves.

Any juicing pulp? no

Manure? see above  

Do you know why the holes collapsed?  

no. we were getting lots of rain. It was easy to reopen with the posthole digger. I noticed #1 has drop about 18 nches. There still lots of compost in it. The worms may be the answer for the holes to staying open, but it never got near 75 degress till I reopened the holes. I have added the alabama jumper worms. we'll see. But I'm please how it breaking down so nicely, the presence of springtail, compost worms and the earthy smell.
Someone on the FB site also mentioned it happened to his holes.
I saw that too, but don't know why.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/10/2019, 7:00 pm

Thank you for all the answers. Still trying to decide if I should make one last compost using solid French drain pipes in my 3'x3'x3' bin, but try to build it up to 4'.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/11/2019, 3:18 pm

sanderson wrote:Thank you for all the answers.  Still trying to decide if I should make one last compost using solid French drain pipes in my 3'x3'x3' bin, but try to build it up to 4'.
maybe 4 ft.
my first bioreactor has dropped 19 inches from 48 inches. date-6-11-2019
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 How_mu10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/13/2019, 12:57 am

Sanderson did you see Sue Rahilly comments on Facebook? she using dog mesh wire fencing to make the tubes as she can leave it in there and not be fearful of the tube holes collapsing. she has pictures posted in the Facebook group
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/13/2019, 10:16 am

has55 wrote:Sanderson did you see Sue Rahilly comments on Facebook? she using dog mesh wire fencing to make the tubes as she can leave it in there and not be fearful of the tube holes collapsing. she has pictures posted in the Facebook group
it's on June 8.
Sue Rahilly "I’ve made mesh tubes to keep channels open. I’m gradually adding material as I want a system to get rid of kitchen scraps in an urban setting. The only problem so far is the fruit fly. The heap is only 3 months old."

I may try this.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Dog_me10
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Dog_me11
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/14/2019, 1:01 am

has55 wrote:
has55 wrote:Sanderson did you see Sue Rahilly comments on Facebook? she using dog mesh wire fencing to make the tubes as she can leave it in there and not be fearful of the tube holes collapsing. she has pictures posted in the Facebook group
it's on June 8.
Sue Rahilly "I’ve made mesh tubes to keep channels open. I’m gradually adding material as I want a system to get rid of kitchen scraps in an urban setting. The only problem so far is the fruit fly. The heap is only 3 months old."

I may try this.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Dog_me10
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Dog_me11

the process still needs sides and top to be cover and water daily. right now the pile is exposed to sunlight.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2019, 4:45 am

Mesh tubes is clever.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 2 Empty alternative tubes

Post  has55 6/18/2019, 11:34 pm

I don't know the cost, but it's another alternative for tubes.
plastic tubes
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next