Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Toplef10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? I22gcj10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Toplef10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? I22gcj10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wondering how folks organize their seeds?

+17
Ha-v-v
jenjehle
timwardell
ander217
Megan
boffer
Wyldflower
SirTravers
PB
chocolatepop
Selandra
Bec
Chopper
chexmix
camprn
dixie
middlemamma
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Empty Wondering how folks organize their seeds?

Post  middlemamma 5/18/2010, 10:24 pm

I have my packets in ziplock bags and labeled...but beyond that I am out of ideas. I thought of trying out some kind of file system like one of those accordian thingys? But I am so new at this I can't really think from all the angles. I thought some kind of binder set up might work too. I thought I would organize by flowers, vegtables, fruits, but then I thought maybe by when they should be planted would be better?

I figured there has to be some of you here with awesome ideas that would love to tell me about it!!! Please share your idea sand pictures too if you can...I am a very visual person and pictures help me a lot. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Empty Re: Wondering how folks organize their seeds?

Post  dixie 5/18/2010, 10:41 pm

I have mine in 6 x 9 manilla envelopes labeled as to when/where sown: wintersown, tomatoes, peppers (I grow a lot of different varieties of these, that's why they have their own envelope)inside veggies, inside flowers, outdoor veggies, outdoor flowers. Maybe someday I'll organize them better, but it works for me.

I place the envelopes inside a gallon size zip lock freezer bag & store them in the freezer.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Empty Re: Wondering how folks organize their seeds?

Post  camprn 5/18/2010, 10:51 pm

Keep mine in letter size envelopes or plastic zip type bags and original packets in several small paper bags in a shoe box with an attached lid. I can look through the seeds as if they were in a file cabinet drawer.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix 5/19/2010, 1:35 am

I store my seeds in mason jars in the refrigerator. They are all in there original package. I just fold them up so that I can get more in the jar.

Here's a video with Mel and Patti Moreno discussing seeds and the storage.

chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/19/2010, 1:53 am

I just put like seed packets together in ziplocs - squash, root, above ground, leafy, herbs and the like. Then I keep all of them in an old gallon ice cream tub. And I keep all of that in my garden cabinet in the garage. In my location it is pretty dang dry so I do not have that to worry about. Most of my seeds are up to 3 years old and germination has been pretty good.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Empty Wondering how folks organize there seeds?

Post  Bec 5/19/2010, 8:19 am

I keep mine in their origional packages and store them inside a plastic coffee container stuck away in the back of my refrigerator. This past year is the first time I've done this and it worked fine.

Bec
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Selandra 5/19/2010, 10:03 am

I am storing my seeds in little baby food jars. My sister had a baby and I told her to save all the jars. I also save all those packets you find everywhere to help keep away the moisture. I'm sure there is somewhere you can buy them, but a penny saved...
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 5/19/2010, 10:52 am

original packaging or ziplock bags in plastic sleeves in binders in cool basement
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 5/19/2010, 5:15 pm

In original packs. Folded over. In a mason jar. With Silica gel packs from medicine bottles. In refrigerator.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  SirTravers 5/19/2010, 5:47 pm

Bec wrote:I keep mine in their origional packages and store them inside a plastic coffee container stuck away in the back of my refrigerator.
Bec

I knew I was saving my coffee container for a reason. Now I know where to put my seed packs. hehe. thanks
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/19/2010, 5:59 pm

Organize? You mean you don't just throw the open packets into a shoe box (which now has a lot of unidentified loose seeds in the bottom) and set it aside for next year?

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Icon_redface

Seriously, this will have to be an evening project for me... I have a just-right-sized tupperware type box. I'll seal up the seed packets and file them alphabetically (flowers separate from veggies I have some from this year and from last, so there are a lot of packets) and put that in the refrigerator... and hope for the best! The loose seeds, I think, will be put in the compost, and we'll see what volunteers.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2010, 6:33 pm

A picture I can do. Organized....ah, not so much! dangit

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? 100_2114

I guess I'm the odd man out again. My seeds live on a shelf year round in my shop when it's not planting time-just like you see them. RH 55-60% TEMP 55-85 F. This spring I planted seeds that were 4 years old (don't ask what kind-they would have been cool crops), and they germinated OK. It works for me-I always try the easy way first!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/19/2010, 6:56 pm

Thanks, Boffer... I don't feel so alone, now!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/19/2010, 7:12 pm

My seeds from this year are in a shoebox on top of the fridge, in their original packets. Some are binder-clipped together. Somewhere, I think I may have a ziptop bag with packets of older seeds. I think I had some transferred to (washed out) medicine bottles.

What do you use to ship small amounts of seed to friends??
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/19/2010, 7:13 pm

Wyldflower wrote:Thanks, Boffer... I don't feel so alone, now!
Me either! Looks like home to me. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Empty re: How do you organize your seeds?

Post  ander217 5/19/2010, 7:55 pm

Mine are in their original packets placed in ziploc bags, separated as follows: herbs, flowers, spring-planted veggies, summer veggies, autumn veggies, seeds for starting transplants, and corn which get its own bag because the packets take up too much room in the summer bag. The bags are stored in an old seed box that used to go in my freezer until we had to boot it out to make room for a side of beef. Now the box is sitting in a chair under my dining room table because I'm using seeds from it almost daily. I'll have to figure out somewhere to put it for the winter.

Boffer, do you rent space in your garage?

I have some really old seeds, too. Some kinds seem to keep forever while others, such as parsley, seem to lose their viability in just a year or two.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/19/2010, 9:03 pm

Uh... I thought having them in "ziplock bags and labeled" WAS an organization system. It's what I use. At least I put them in the fridge unlike boffer. Very Happy
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2010, 9:16 pm

ander217 wrote:Boffer, do you rent space in your garage?

HA! Not even to my wife! She can use the space, tools, and materials any time she wants. But when it comes to putting something in there...uh uh, no way, not happening, no way jose, no sir ree jim bob....I know how women do it. First it's a coffee cup, then it's a coffee cup and jacket, then it's a coffee cup, jacket, and shoes, then comes a robe, then a toothbrush, and unmentionables. And before I knew what was happening, I'm married twenty years tomorrow! rock on

I don't give her an inch in my shop cause I know what it leads to! darn funny
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 5/19/2010, 9:56 pm

Here's a few pics of what I do with my seeds:

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Jenny_10

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Jenny_12

Hope this helps!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/19/2010, 10:59 pm

This is a great thread !! I like all the ideas. I have all mine in my shed right now until I get some more done. I have read about storing them in a better climate and I will remedy that soon. This is the inside of my shed with the seeds, the blue bucket are seeds Ive planted, the green one is ones I still want to plant. Ha-v-v

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? 102_0819
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/19/2010, 11:31 pm

Great help guys!!! Thank you...I feel at least in THIS arena I am not so far behind as others areas!! YAY! I have not quite decided yet what I am going to do...when I do I will throw a picture on this thread...LOL (if I can figure out how to do that:) )
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/20/2010, 12:16 am

boffer wrote:........... And before I knew what was happening, I'm married twenty years tomorrow! rock on

Happy anniversary, Boffer and Mrs. Boffer!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/20/2010, 12:18 am

Yes, happy anniversary! Very Happy smiles
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/20/2010, 12:26 am

That was so funny, first its a coffee cup !! Then the jacket etc that was good so good Smile
Happy Happy Anniversary to the both of you and many more to come !!!! Wondering how folks organize their seeds? 593714
Ha-v-v and her tribe
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Empty Happy Anniversary, Boffer

Post  ander217 5/20/2010, 9:35 am

Happy Anniversary, Boffer. You're a lucky man to be married to such a smart woman. Wondering how folks organize their seeds? Icon_lol
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next