Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions Toplef10Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions I22gcj10Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions Toplef10Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions I22gcj10Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions

5 posters

Go down

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions Empty Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions

Post  Warbler 5/3/2013, 8:08 am

This is my second year - getting starter later than I wish 'cause we were stuck in North Dakota blizzards for a month on temporary work. My questions:

I uncovered my boxes and was dismayed to find that weeds had sneaked in somehow. Pulled them out (easily! - love this MM), but am concerned about weed seeds left behind.

It has been drier than usual while we were gone - so the MM is a bit dry and caked in some spots, but not everywhere.

So I think I'm supposed to rake with a small tool, and hands, to pull out any leftover roots, then add a few scoops of five-way compost to each square, water it down, and start planting. Am I right?

Compost question - I have a bag of leftover five-way mix from last year. Looks and smells fine. Is it still good? I hate to toss it, but want good stuff on the garden.

And finally - what do the old pros say about this nice streak of warm dry weather? Good time to plant warmer weather stuff? Or assume we'll return to cold and damp and use caution?

Thanks for the help - in advance!
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions Empty Re: Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions

Post  CapeCoddess 5/3/2013, 10:30 am

Warbler, your avatar is gorgeous! Is that a view from your house?

I've bagged up and used my compost until it's gone. I don't worry about the age of it.

As for your weather, I'm sure the PNW folks will chime in to help you out, but I use the planting schedules in the back of the ANSFG book along with this calendar to help me figure out what to do:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/harwich-ma/02645/may-weather/333623

When I'm confused about doing this or that, I do both then see what works. What a Face

Have fun!
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions Empty my view

Post  Warbler 5/3/2013, 10:42 am

Very Happy My avatar is a pic I took on our favorite hike on Mt Rainier. It is about an hour and a half from our home. Thanks for asking!
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions Empty Re: Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions

Post  quiltbea 5/3/2013, 11:53 am

Warbler, go to www.weather.com and enter your zip and check your monthly calendar. They forecast pretty well what's to come in your area.
I'm in Maine's 5a zone and just checked mine. Except for this weekend with drops below freezing temps (I'll cover several crops as a preventative) our temps will be in the low- to mid-40s for the lows. Sounds good for me so I'll be putting out some of my warm weather crops next week as planned.
Just remember that they could be wrong about ten degrees so be prepared to cover up at nite.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions Empty wondering too...

Post  elysia 5/4/2013, 11:59 am

I too am curious about the process of preparing my garden soil for it's second year... how much compost does one add to the soil from last year? we were thinking of adding fresh mel's mix to "top off" the boxes but do we add extra compost for the soil that is already there?

hmmm....
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/4/2013, 12:19 pm

elysia wrote:I too am curious about the process of preparing my garden soil for it's second year... how much compost does one add to the soil from last year? we were thinking of adding fresh mel's mix to "top off" the boxes but do we add extra compost for the soil that is already there?

hmmm....

I didn't add any MM this year, just compost...about in inch or 2 of it, then mixed it in. You can add enuff compost to bring your box up to the height you want it.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/4/2013, 12:22 pm

elysia wrote:I too am curious about the process of preparing my garden soil for it's second year... how much compost does one add to the soil from last year? we were thinking of adding fresh mel's mix to "top off" the boxes but do we add extra compost for the soil that is already there?

hmmm....
There is no need to add more Mel's mix. I add enough homemade compost to bring the mix level to the top of the bed. Works like a charm.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Starting my 2nd year - MM and Compost questions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 5/4/2013, 2:55 pm

Thank you! Very Happy
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down