Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is Toplef10You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is I22gcj10You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is Toplef10You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is I22gcj10You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is

+5
martha
LaFee
happyfrog
Lavender Debs
boffer
9 posters

Go down

You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is Empty You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is

Post  boffer 3/8/2010, 11:23 pm

This was posted on the forum 8/09. I happen to have it because I tried it and it is goooood.

Courtesy mjurgaitis on 8/2/09

Zucchini recipe

This is the time of year that we start seeing those baseball bat size zucchini. I haven’t grown zucchini for a couple of years because I’ve had problems with those squash bugs, but now that I’ve read the posts on how to deal with them, I might try again. Then I can use this recipe a friend gave me again. I used to make it every summer and my kids would always ask what it was. I never told them and they always enjoyed the dessert.

Here’s the recipe:
ZUCCHINI UNLIMITED
2 large zucchini, or 2 qt, or over 3 lbs total
2/3 cup lemon juice
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon

Peel zucchini. Slice it open and remove the seeds. Cut up to make it look as much like apple pie slices as you can. Cook (with the cover on) in lemon juice until slices are tender. Add the other ingredients and simmer a few minutes. Marinate in the frig overnight. Use or freeze at this point.

My friend also included this recipe with it.
Pastry: 4 cups flour, ½ tsp salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup butter/margarine
Mix above and take out 1 cup. Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the 1 cup of mixture. Remove another ½ cup of the pastry mixture and mix with zucchini for thickening. Press remainder of the pastry mixture into a greased cake/jelly roll pan. Bake 10 min. at 375. Remove from oven, spread zucchini mixture over crust. Sprinkle the 1 cup reserved pastry/cinnamon mix over the top. Bake 30 min. at 375 or til golden brown. Serve hot with ice cream. (and my friend ended the recipe with this: BON APPETIT!)

The zucchini part over ice cream is to die for
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is Empty Re: You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is

Post  Lavender Debs 3/9/2010, 1:09 am

Ok, as a sweet pie filling I might just rethink zucchini. Thanks Boff ....I may even stick a handful of candles in it and sing to you.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is Empty Re: You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is

Post  boffer 3/9/2010, 1:14 am

this's how I feel when that happens You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is Icon_redface
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/1/2010, 6:51 am

that zucchini recipe looks yummy. i'd have to do my own pastry (celiac) but i'm definitely gonna give this a go when we start harvesting zucchini. and when i sell the 'extra' i want to include this recipe to share with folks - would that be ok you think?

it's just a different recipe than i'd ever seen before.

bettyann
who will be creating a roadside stand sign in the next 2 months with the kids to fund our garden expenses. . . and maybe have some ice cream money. Smile
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/1/2010, 2:37 pm

I'll have to do some digging -- my mom used to make something called Salmon-Zucchini squares -- I think it's like a quiche, but it's GOOD.

If I find the recipe, I'll post it for you.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1022

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/10/2010, 12:41 pm

so, you didn't post this on April 1, so you are serious? I would LOVE to try this at the restaurant! (Okay, maybe I have to eat some of it first....I am SUCH a company girl!)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2173

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/10/2010, 12:59 pm

It's for real. Most folks think it's made of apples. It's perfect for those zukes that get too big. I like it warmed over a scoop of French Vanilla.

Trust me now....trust me now....trust me now............... Razz
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 7/6/2010, 11:46 am

just harvested a green squash that i don't know what to do with as i already have broccoli zucchini salad, a mixed veg marinated salad in fridge. .

so will try this out today! Smile

the hardest part i think will be cutting up the squash to look like apple slices. . . any suggestions on the 'easiest' and 'fastest' way to do this?
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/6/2010, 5:30 pm

happyfrog wrote:the hardest part i think will be cutting up the squash to look like apple slices. . . any suggestions on the 'easiest' and 'fastest' way to do this?

I want to try this too!

Happyfrog, I think the fastest way to slice this up and also make it look like apple slices is:
- peel the whole thing
- cut off ends
- slice in half lengthwise along the plane of symmetry
- use melon baller or rounded measuring spoon to scrape all the seeds out of each half
- slice the seeded halves about 1/4" thick

That should make it look a lot like slices of a peeled, cored apple.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3348

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 7/7/2010, 7:43 am

what i did yesterday: cut the green squash into 2-3" long pieces, used my apple corer to cut into wedges.

tasted delightful!

next time, i will peel the squash and dice it. because i didn't care for larger pieces. and diced, peeled squash will still look a lot like diced apples.

but definitely gonna do this again.

heck, add a cup of sugar to any veg and i'd eat it, lol.

bettyann
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ole Joe Clark 7/7/2010, 8:54 am

If you like sweets, (and who doesn't?) my wife bakes a wonderful zucchini chocolate cake.

Leon
Ole Joe Clark
Ole Joe Clark

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  Ole Joe Clark 7/7/2010, 9:01 am

If you like sweets, (and who doesn't?) my wife bakes a wonderful zucchini chocolate cake.

Leon
Ole Joe Clark
Ole Joe Clark

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 7/7/2010, 9:05 am

is it gluten free?

i'm a celiac. . .

i make a great chocolate raspberry torte, though. . .

share the recipe - i'm sure there are many folks who would be interested. . . Smile

make separate thread, though so it's seen as a new recipe. Smile
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/7/2010, 10:06 am

happyfrog wrote:is it gluten free?

i'm a celiac. . .

Smile

Here's one for you happyfrog:
http://glutenfreebetty.blogspot.com/2008/09/chocolate-zucchini-cakeplate-optional.html

My son-in-law is a celiac and I've learned a lot cooking for him. I always keep G-F flours on hand because he does likes his sweets.

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom 7/7/2010, 4:12 pm

Ole Joe Clark wrote:If you like sweets, (and who doesn't?) my wife bakes a wonderful zucchini chocolate cake.

Leon
I would love the recipie! You only think you've tried every zucchini recipe there is Icon_lol
extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down